Gina Fords 'Contented little baby book'

lulu

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

What are your thoughts and/or experiences of this book?

I have just bought it and wondered if anyone followed it, so I thought I would do a poll.

Any other comments would also be great!

I refuse to read it as I've heard so many bad things about it!
If my baby was a nightmare I might have tried it but he's no trouble, so I don't see the point.

See this is the thing,

Im finding that my routine is going ok at the moment, but after reading it Im starting to question myself!!! :?

I was reading the recommended routine for a baby Jacks age last night!!!
It basically said you had to live your whole day around the baby, god knows how you would fit a social life or anything else in for that matter!

Think Im making myself feel bad by reading it!!!

So don't. If you've got a decent routine going that's great: as a wise man once said ' if it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

Gina Ford may be a superb nanny, but she has no children of her own!!!!!!

lulu said:

Exactly... making mothers feel inadequate is out of order!!
If you're getting on OK, but still feel like you're doing it "wrong" then it can't be a good book if you ask me!

Don't even get me started on Gina Ford!!! :twisted:

She has never even had children you know!!!

One of the mums at one of my groups made a good commment last week - since when were babies ever born with a text book!
And a midwife also pointed out that she know alot of women who have goone in to depression or had a break down becuase they have tried to follow the books routines and have thought them selves bad mothers becuase they could get their baby to follow it - also coz they were try to follow it the missed out on groups because it wouldn't fit in with thier shedule.
I would use it as a guide - and go with your baby - they seem to work out thier own routines after a while 0 i must admit to finding the baby whisperer more helpful.
i also looked at the gina ford website - and i noted that you have to pay £40 to get access to the discussions etc.. (rip off!)
try www.babywhisperer.com i found this more helful and it is free

Hypnorm said:
i also looked at the gina ford website - and i noted that you have to pay £40 to get access to the discussions etc.. (rip off!)

What a good way to only get FANS of the book to join the forum...

I bought the book when I was pg but the minute she was born and I had a real baby home it was on ebay quicker than who knows! (the book, not the baby)

I bought blackout blinds which shades/blinds came and fitted for me and didnt try to get me to buy the dearest. I was quite impressed with them.

The one thing I did take from the book was to follow a routine but the routine was chosen by us around what we done. Hers was too rigid and unrealistic.

My SIL sent me the book through Amazon. I am not in the least bit interested in reading any kind of baby routine book. I want to establish my own routine and I think I have managed it fairly well, even down to knowing when she is likely to wake in the night and stay that way.

I have a good baby for the moment, but who knows when all that will change? :lol:

Anyway, I'd say listen to yourself. Nobody needs an instruction book, everyone is a mother, they just need to believe it.

By the way the baby whisperer site seems to be out of order.

Sue

Do you know, since reading your replies I havent picked up the book once!!!

Jack is going 4 hours between feeds, sometimes longer, he is settling better, sleeps well and Ive done this all without the help of the book.

I am bathing him the same time every night but I have noticed Im planning my afternoons around this and worrying if he misses it (like yesterday) so think I need to stop that!!! :roll:

Im certainly a lot less anxious not reading it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back