Gina Ford Contented Little Baby book

pink lady

Reaction score
My sister is doing the Gina Ford contented little baby book, i was wondering what you thought of it?

she can't go anywhere to stay overnight as the baby needs a blackout blind! everything is planned around the routine, which is up at 7am, nap at 9-10.30. Nap at 12-2pm then bed at 7pm. She is a good baby and sleeps the whole night through, but just thought the whole deal with having to go home at these times every day is tiresome and restricting. I agree with some aspects of the book, but think some of them don't pay off in the end.

For example when we were on holiday in orlando she couldn't enjoy any fun parks, due to nap times. I know some babys can just nod off in the pram, but not her as she is used to her routine. She had to make the hotel room pitch black an djust sit there during nap times, and anyone who would babysit had to sit ina pitch black room! fun, eh?

Let me know your view if you have read the book or even done it!

Thanks

PL.x

My OH sister who is also pregnant lent me this and although I want to get my baby into a routine, you cant put your life on hold to do half of the things it recommends, to be honest surely it can depend on your baby some take to routine quickly others do as they please. I have my own ideas on how I'd like to do things I wont be following a plan!

Hi there
I've bought the book and quite enjoyed the concept. However, I think I'll just use it as a guide. Some things (especially advice on breastfeeding) makes good sence and i'll use more of that info.
Just do what makes you and baby happy - you might find that you've landed with the most perfect baby!!! (wishful?)
Good luck
Emilia xx

I used it first time round with my little boy who is three now and found it extremely difficult. Everytime I took him out he fell asleep so I felt very restricted having to stay in. In the end I gave up and ended up feeling useless cause I couldn't do it!

My advice is - Every baby is different, don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work for you!

our midwife talked about this book in anti-natal. she said that in order for it to work properly you have to follow it by the letter. some people swear by the book others hate it. It depends if your the sort of person who can strictly implement the rules, otherwise its just not worth it.
It depends whats worse, having to deal with getting up lots in the night and having chaos for a little while, or getting into a routine quickly but having restrictions as a result. It dosent work both ways!

I would never do anything like that, I prefer to set my own rules depending how the baby is.
I refuse to have my life changed that much, when my son was a baby we used to put him to bed quite late, much later than my friends who put their child to sleep at about 6pm!!

When we wanted to go out, we could, cos he was awake, but my friends were tied to their house every night and had no social life at all!

Gina Ford are two words that turn my stomach!!

Did you know that she has never even had children!!

Enough said or you won't be able to get me off my soap box!! LOL

Kerry said:
Gina Ford are two words that turn my stomach!!

Did you know that she has never even had children!!

Enough said or you won't be able to get me off my soap box!! LOL

That's me put off then :D

I think we will just play it by ear and see how things go. I don't want to put to much pressure on us to try and conform to such a rigid routine when it's all new to us.

No doubt everyone will be trying to pass on their pearls of wisdom at the time ;)

That book is 95% scary and totally restricting - i.e how can you put a week old baby in a routine, I think that is wrong, as they don't know times of day, right and wrong and are still learning how to feed and who you are, you need to let them set the pace early on.

About 5% I found useful and common sense stuff, but that book made me very nurotic and totally not contented.

I may read it again at 3 months when a routine is more do-able, but not for now.

As someone on here said earlier, she has looked after many babies yes, but never had one of her own and the two are different.

Aparently the Baby Whisperer is a good book, I may get that, but at the moment books are overwhelming and I think I may trust my natural mother instinct.

i have that book (baby whisperer ) and from what i read already its good its by the lady on living tv forgort her name :roll:

Ive never heard of the Gina Book and certainly wont be looking out for it. I agree with those of you that say you make a routine for your baby around your lifestyle. Everyone is different.

I find that speaking to other Mums the best source of advice and especially website Forums such as this one which quite frankly are invaluable.

Ragna xx

I have the baby whisperer book by Tracey Hogg (in amongst my huge collection!!) sadly Tracey passed away earlier this year but she was a great lady.

It's the kind of book that you can refer to if you encounter a problem or something you aren't sure about rather than a book which demands routine from newborn babies :roll:

She also has a newer book out too - check out amazon if you want to look it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back