Getting back to work

AugustMum

Reaction score
Ok! Wasn't sure where to put this but I'm desperate to get back to work and have been really struggling with how I'm going to do it financially and actually finding work that fits around childcare hours. So I did some digging on the job center site and this is what Ive discovered!

1. If you've been out of work for more than a year and receiving benefits then you are entitled to In Work Credit which is an extra £40 a week on top of your earnings and benefits and doesn't effect anything. This will last for 52 weeks and then stop.

2. There are a number of schemes run to give people work placements, which may lead to a job and the job center can help with childcare costs and travel costs during the placement.

3. If you find work you are enttled to a Job Grant which is a tax free sum of £250 as a lone parent with children. This should be paid automatically if you have been receiving benefits such as income support for a period of more than 26 weeks and are going to be working more than 16 hours a week and the job is expected to last more than 5 weeks.

Im sure theres more Ive found out but thats all I can think of. Im amazed I wasn't told all this sooner tbh and a bit annoyed I wasn't but at least I know now and I hope it's useful to others as well :)

Mel would you be entitled to a princes trust grant? You could start up your own photography business?

Yeah I would and also a grant from the government. I'm debating it and I'll do it as a last resort but I'm going to ask about swapping to job seekers so I can get my course fees waivered at college and do a child care course or an accountancy course.

I really should be more into photography :blush:. My sisters a make up artist as well so I could do a studio with her where you get your hair and make up done then photos looking all pretty. We've got a studio like that here and it charges rediculous prices! I'd make a fortune! Just really don't want to do it lol

Why don't you want to do it? The risk of a business or just wouldn't enjoy the actual work?

Wouldnt enjoy the actual work :( Also I only want to work for a couple of years at the most then do the child nursing course. Starting my own business would be too much of a commitment I think. I haven't wanted to do photography for a while now but once I fell pregnant at the beginning of second year I was determined to finish the degree lol.

Why don't you want to do it? I love having a photography business - it's perfect for working around the boys, my studio is at home and all my editing is done in the evenings, and if I knew a make up artist who would work with me I'd love to offer something like that too! x

Sorry, was typing when you replied! Fair enough - of you can find something you enjoy it's so much better than doing a job just because you can. I love this so much more than what I did before despite years spent getting qualifications I'm now not using! x

I don't know really. I enjoy urban landscapes and taking photos of my own accord but it just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Ive thought of doing some weddings and things to get a bit of cash in but I dont like doing them. Urgh I dont know...maybe Im just picky lol.

Exactly! Ive got 5 years of photography qualifications and Im going to do jack with them! Bit of a waste of debt :blush: But since the end of my first year at uni Ive had my heart on nursing so Ive told myself by the time Im 30 I was to be at least starting the nursing course or Ill be giving myself a slap :slap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back