Gestational Diabetes

CrazyChic

Reaction score
Hey Ladies,

Can anyone help me with what snacks I can take to hospital with gestational diabetes? I've got nuts but can't think for the life of me what else I can take.

Thanks in advance
Shan

I also had gestational diabetes and ate normally the day of birth. I noticed I was getting more and more of low blood sugar episodes which made me feel like I had to faint. Nearing birth your placenta starts to deteriorate and it has less and less of an influence on your hormones. But I never had high readings. Never even had a peak after I started testing my blood, I think I was a false positive.
Do you have to test yourself?x

With getting induced they may suggest to avoid snacking - especially if you’re on the drip/have an epidural. Depending on how well controlled your GD has been, some trusts will run a sliding scale dextrose infusion during labour.

anyway, to answer your original question: nuts, berries, you could make your own coconut/dark chocolate bars. Greek yoghurt, full fat is good but not much use without a fridge lol!

I also had gestational diabetes and ate normally the day of birth. I noticed I was getting more and more of low blood sugar episodes which made me feel like I had to faint. Nearing birth your placenta starts to deteriorate and it has less and less of an influence on your hormones. But I never had high readings. Never even had a peak after I started testing my blood, I think I was a false positive.
Do you have to test yourself?x

Yeah I'm on insulin. Being induced on Monday. I only have a few high readings and they tend to be more when I've gone hypo then eaten to get blood level up then had lunch but other then that it's all under control.

With getting induced they may suggest to avoid snacking - especially if you’re on the drip/have an epidural. Depending on how well controlled your GD has been, some trusts will run a sliding scale dextrose infusion during labour.

anyway, to answer your original question: nuts, berries, you could make your own coconut/dark chocolate bars. Greek yoghurt, full fat is good but not much use without a fridge lol!

One of my consultants said to bring snacks for when being induced as she said the hospital food its great for diabetics but I'm hoping I won't be a diabetic for too much longer haha she also said there is a fridge there so I've got babybels, them chicken fridge raider things, with lots of nuts and seeds. Also got some peanut butter protein ball things I'm looking forward to trying.

Thanks for your reply ladies

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back