Gestational Diabetes

firstfreakout

Reaction score
Evening ladies.

I had my GTT yesterday at 19 weeks as at my booking appointment and my 16 week check I had glucose in my urine. (++) I also have a 31 BMI, though no history of GD or diabetes in the family etc.

I'm a bit concerned about what it would mean for the pregnancy/baby and was wondering if anyone who has been diagnosed with it (now or in past pregnancies) can shed some light on the day to day impact? I've read various websites about the risks it poses and how it's managed, but nothing really in depth about the impact on life etc.

For example, I know it's most managed with diet before any medication is involved, but being a vegetarian and currently avoiding mass amounts of gluten (my poor bowels do not like gluten right now!) I'm imagining this is going to be very hard for me...

Basically what I'm asking is if anyone can enlighten me on what it's like day to day. For example, how often to check glucose levels, what to avoid/what to eat, if it resulted in medication, and how and if it affected your baby/labour at all.

I was induced with DS due to being a week overdue with reduced movement and found the experience very painful so am worried it may mean an early induction..

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit because I haven't received my results yet, but I like to be prepared in knowing about medical things before they may or may not arise, so I know what to expect and what to ask of the medical team. My control freak nature kicking in I guess!
Many thanks in advance - I know this is a bit of a wordy post! <3

Last edited:
When I had my test I was told that if I had it I would be informed by a phone call the following day. Have you been told how long it will take for your results?

I didn't have it, but I know someone who does. I think she has to check her levels 3 times a day but I'm not sure what diet she has been told to avoid. She has been told she will be induced early (I want to say 38 weeks but I could be wrong)

Wait until you get your results before worrying about it - if you tick any of the boxes for it they do the test and most people who are tested don't have it. It's just a precaution

Hi, I had GD in my last pregnancy and it was diet controlled. I had an appointment with a dietician who went through my current diet and together we worked out what to tweak/change. Certain things was a big no no for me like orange juice.
I also had to check my blood sugar levels 3 times a day (1 hour after each main meal) and call them up if I got a high reading. I had to log each reading in a book. You'll also get appointments at the Diabetes clinic so they can keep an eye on you and check your readings. It was all a bit of a faff especially if we went out for the day and remembering to bring my kit. Do you feel any different at all when you've eaten? My bloods came back fine initially. It was only when i started having black outs after eating that they did further checks. As mine was diet controlled and my growth scans were fine they didnt induce me until I was 9 days late and she was born the following day a healthy 7lbs 11. Good luck x

Last edited:
I had my GTT done at 28 weeks, and I got the results back that afternoon - fortunately negative for me! Have they said how long the results will take?

Last edited:
I&#8217;n Diabetic normally, regardless of pregnancy :lol:

You normally get results quite quickly but if they think you have GD you will be referred for the sugary drink & will be monitored after it to see how your body is using the glucose and then will go from there. The main thing is that it is one more thing to worry about but absolutely manageable, whether it is diet controlled or insulin controlled.

Thank you ladies for the replies <3

I got the results today (assuming it took a tad longer because I had the test on a Friday) and apparently it's normal / negative for GD. I have to do it again in January as I'm only 19 weeks atm. Yay :(

I know it can show up later in pregnancy though so I guess I'll go through with doing it again, but just confused as to what other things can cause glucose to show up in urine if it's not GD?

Thanks for the advice though :D It helped me to understand GD a bit better x

What had you eaten before giving your sample?

It could just be that you had a lot of sugar. My urine with my first always showed glucose because I was addicted to ginger bread men and stupidly still ate them on my way to the midwives

My tip would be not to eat anything sugary (or white carbs) before you do the sample. With one of my urine samples I ate a pack of cookies the night before and did the sample with FMU, so there was glucose in the sample for the first time. I worried about it but being a healthy BMI they told me to avoid sugars at breakfast etc for the next one. I did and they were all fine afterwards.
I have a family history of diabetes and my mum had GB with me, but all went well and I was 9lbs and born natutally. I was meant to have the glucose test because of my mum but I threw up and couldn't do it. I think if you manage diet and do moderate exercise when possible you should be fine anyway.
Since having DS I have cut out dairy (I'm not vegetarian or vegan, I eat a bit of unprocessed meat and just ditched dairy), since then I have lost a few more lbs of the baby weight and that's the only thing that's changed, so if you worry about BMI that might be an idea too as it's mostly just calories and you can get better nutrition elsewhere :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back