Gestational Diabetes...

blondie101

Reaction score
Hi!

Ive been recently diagnosed with GD and was controlling it based on diet but have now started Metformin.

Just wondered what everyone's experiences are, what you ate that helped keep blood sugars down, what to avoid, medication etc. Any advice is appreciated :)

I find breakfast a nightmare- have had to give up my precious cornflakes :(

I had GD too but was lucky enough that i stayed diet controlled. Breakfast was a nightmare for me too! Had to give up my weetabix and banana :(. I had either cheese (its lactose free cheese though so no sugar) on granary bread toast or just porridge.

Unfortunately its a bit of trial and error seeing whats best for you. I kept a strict food diary to find things that i could manage. A few things i couldnt be without, crackers with cheese (again lactofree), nuts, whole grain wraps, cauliflower (a trick shared by one of the girls here for mash potatoes, half potatoes half cauliflower, mash it up, it was amazing all the mash but not all the carbs). Try and go for a walk in evening if you struggle with a high reading before bed and my last tip, try and pair your carb foods with protein, so chicken, turkey, eggs, nuts, it really helps keep levels steady. Theres a thread in tri 3 which will give you some advice, there is a Facebook page listed on it which is meant to be really good if you have fb. Theres also other resources posted. Weve all had our babies but we'll help :)

Last edited:
Hi Blondie,

I had GD with my first pregnancy (currently all clear with number 2 so fingers crossed!)

For breakfast I used to have bitesize shredded wheat with semi skimmed milk and a bit of canderel to make it taste nice! Then I'd have a small banana straight after the following reading at my desk at work, which kept me full til lunch.
Lunch was small sandwich (400g loaf) with granary bread, ham, thin sliced cheese, lettuce and light mayo - I'm sure I would've had something else as well but can't remember for the life of me!
Dinner was fish - the Gastro frozen ones with the cheesy sauce on top were my fave, with lots of roasted med veg mixed into a small amount of cous cous.

Agree with above advice re: evening walks!

Sugar free jelly pots are good if you need something sweet, which we all do!

How far along are you?

Just to reassure you, my little girl was born at a teeny 7lb 3oz and neither of us had any problems afterwards. Just one of those things that catches some people :( but there's no reason why everything won't be just fine :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back