Gestational Diabetes

CountryGirl

Reaction score
Just been to my booking appointment and the only thing that came up as a thing to be concerned with is my BMI is 32.5, so over 30. She said this means I could be at risk of gestational diabetes and that I'll have to have a glucose tolerance test at about 28 weeks.

Is gestational diabetes bad? I've always had a sweet tooth and have been struggling not to eat sweet things and eat healthily lately, but now I'm not sure whether I should try to change my diet regardless of what makes me feel a bit sick etc. I don't want diabetes.

I did the stupid thing and went online (I only went on NHS website mind) to find out what it was and what risks are etc, and now I'm not sure whether there's anything I need to do.

Would appreciate comments and thoughts etc.

Thanks ladies :)

Gestational diabetes isn't a huge problem. You just need to watch your diet xbx more attention is taken to bloods. My friends daughter had it and she was fine but had to be he her on more closely. It's jet something that CAN. Happen but doesn't mean it will.

Eat as you would normally or you could alter the test. I have GD and have to test my blood twice a day and take metformin tablets. I have growth scans and will be offered a sweep at 38 weeks. However at the moment baby is breech and if not head down on Wed (36 weeks) will discuss options.

Hi Country girl

I also have a higher (higher than yours) 'at risk' bmi. I went to the doctors yesterday just to register my self. So I had my basic obs done and the lady said" I'm not a doctor but I was a large lady when I was pregnant and I used it as an excuse to eat a lot" As a result she got GD and still has diabeties. Her advice was to eat little and often and go easy on carbs and keep active.

I hope this helps!

Mahoosive Congratulations on your pregnancy and I'm sure it will be a healthy one :)

I have a low bmi, 19.7 and because my mum has type 2 diabetes they want to test me too at 28wks. I think there isnt much you can do till you know if you have it or not.

Michelle. x

Hi Country girl I am tri hopping. I have got my tests for it next Friday. I will let you know how I goes xxxx

I have GD and its controlled by diet and I have insulin to inject if my bloods stay high after eating. It is a pain having to test blood level 4 times a day but its whatever is best for baby and yourself, and actually it's helped me but making me cut out the crap I was eating and now I feel so much better :) x

Last edited:
Hi :)
My friend had gestational diabetes one time and It was not a big deal, I think you should just eat right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back