Gestational diabetes suggested to have a c section?

maythe4thbewit

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm 36+4, currently still diet controlled. I've had one 'high' blood sugar reading two weeks ago, not had any since.

Baby was on he 90th percentile at 28 weeks and dropped to the 75th at 32 and 34 weeks. Had my 36 week growth scan today and baby has had growth spurt and has gone back up nearly to the 90th percentile. Hes measuring 7lbs2oz already at 36+4. Saw consultant afterwards, booked in for another scan at 38+4 she said if hes measuring 9 or 10 lbs then she would rather book me in for a c section at 40 weeks rather than mess about with induction. Hes not going to gain 2 lbs in two weeks surely?

All babys scans have been difficult to get accurate measurements because hes been in awkward positions.

Has anyone else been pushed towards a c section straight away rather than induction? I was under the impression plenty of ladies gave birth to 9lb babys and that c sections were only offered/performed as a last resort.

Just looking for some advice/experiences.

Thanks ladies xx

My sister has had GD with all her pregnancies with her first though she has given the option to be induced which she went for but ended in c section anyway as baby was still too high. I think it all depends on the consultant. You have to stay in a few days after birth so they can keep an eye on the babies blood sugar level so maybe they want to get you in and out cause of the situation with covid 19 cause with induction it can take a couple days to get anything going xx

My sister has had GD with all her pregnancies with her first though she has given the option to be induced which she went for but ended in c section anyway as baby was still too high. I think it all depends on the consultant. You have to stay in a few days after birth so they can keep an eye on the babies blood sugar level so maybe they want to get you in and out cause of the situation with covid 19 cause with induction it can take a couple days to get anything going xx

Yeah, the diabetic midwife said they keep you and baby in for a minimum of 24 hours after birth to check their sugar levels. I thought it might have something to do with what's going on with covid 19 too, but wouldnt I be in for just as long with a section as being induced?

I should have asked these questions earlier but was rushed in and out and didnt think too. I'm not opposed to a section just wondering why she mentioned it instead of induction if baby was measuring 9 or 10lbs. Xx

My sister went in for section last Wednesday and was out Friday afternoon. Being induced is very unpredictable and could be in 2 days before anything happens when my sister was in for her 2nd she was induced but then had a section cause nothing happened but was in hospital for over a week. Everyone is different though. With a section they know you'll have the baby bah bah date and no you'll be home at least 24 hours after if everything is good xx

My sister went in for section last Wednesday and was out Friday afternoon. Being induced is very unpredictable and could be in 2 days before anything happens when my sister was in for her 2nd she was induced but then had a section cause nothing happened but was in hospital for over a week. Everyone is different though. With a section they know you'll have the baby bah bah date and no you'll be home at least 24 hours after if everything is good xx

That's what I really want to avoid. I'd hate to be induced and stuck in for days on end with nothing happening only to have a section in the end. I'd much rather have a section in the first place if that was the case.

It's the unknowing for the next two weeks which is getting to me. Especially with all this going on I want to know what's happening and preferably be in and out as quick as possible xx

I can imagine it must be quite stressful, hopefully you'll get some answers in the next few weeks. Maybe write all these questions and concerns down so you don't forget next time you see your midwife xx

I had very mild gd and only once got a high reading in 4 and a half months. Near the end I was even more hypoglycemic instead of hyper. I would almost faint due to the low blood sugar. One diabetic nurse (very unkind one), tried to scare me with a section and how I would have a difficult natural birth because I would have a heavy baby. Anyways, the midwife had checked all my readings and she told me not to worry since the weight of the baby can be off due to it's position. If you have only had one bad reading, I wouldn't worry about it and try to go for a natural birth. I didn't want to be induced and would have refused if they offered. I gave birth at 40w+1d and she was out in 1 hour and 17 minutes. She was 8lbs2oz, so an average baby for 40 weeks and 55 cm.
Can you just wait to 40 weeks at the minimum or not?
I don't know why they always want to induce you so quickly!?x

I had very mild gd and only once got a high reading in 4 and a half months. Near the end I was even more hypoglycemic instead of hyper. I would almost faint due to the low blood sugar. One diabetic nurse (very unkind one), tried to scare me with a section and how I would have a difficult natural birth because I would have a heavy baby. Anyways, the midwife had checked all my readings and she told me not to worry since the weight of the baby can be off due to it's position. If you have only had one bad reading, I wouldn't worry about it and try to go for a natural birth. I didn't want to be induced and would have refused if they offered. I gave birth at 40w+1d and she was out in 1 hour and 17 minutes. She was 8lbs2oz, so an average baby for 40 weeks and 55 cm.
Can you just wait to 40 weeks at the minimum or not?
I don't know why they always want to induce you so quickly!?x

I honestly dont understand their reasoning. I was in and out of there so quick today I didnt have time to process it and ask questions.

I see a different consultant everytime, and everyone tells me different things. My midwife says just go with the flow, the diabetic midwife tells me I'm doing really well and shouldn't effect me, I've only gained about 10lbs throughout and babys supposedly 7lbs2oz now, my blood sugars have all been good bar one with diet control, and I havent had to change my diet much because I was following a moderately low carb diet anyway because before getting PG I'd lost 10 stone.

Some of my readings are quit low, some of my fastings are in the low 3s and alot of the time post meals are in the 4s and 5s, yes their still saying baby is measuring too big. She said she would rather section me at around 40 weeks, she said they would consider a planned delivery between 39 and 40 but no later than 40, but wont discuss anymore untill my next appointment where ill already be 38+4. I'm confused as to weather she meant a section if he was measuring 9lbs at 38+4 or if he was estimated to be that at 40 weeks? Hes 7lbs2 now and has only gained 1lb5oz in the last two weeks so surely hes not going to jump up 2 or more lbs in the next two weeks? I think according to his personal growth chart, at 40 weeks his estimated weight is 9lb9? And that's if he continues to sit just under the 90th percentile where he is now.

Also none of his measurements have been accurate because hes always in an awkward position, he was transverse and now he is head down into my hip, spine along my rightside, thigh across my ribs, his bum is apparently by my belly button and one foot down holding onto it my his mouth. Very strange shape xx

Lol he's a very flexible baby!
My midwife told me that the baby gains about half a pound a week at the end, which my girl did.
I would wait before going for a c section. It is still a major abdominal surgery and worst case scenario, they can still decide on an emergency one of it doesn't progress during labour.
First babies take a bit longer to bake lol, and the longer the baby is in there, the heavier he gets.
Wait and see what they say on your next scan, but if your GD is under control and your baby is measuring normally, I would try to go natural.x

My friend has had two GD babies naturally. Both were over 10lb. If you want to be induced rather than have a section, you should be well within your rights to ask for that. You don't need a section just because baby is big.. Though it makes it more likely you'll end up with an emergency one, which is probably why they're suggesting going straight for it. How you plan to give birth is your choice, don't forget that xx

Lol he's a very flexible baby!
My midwife told me that the baby gains about half a pound a week at the end, which my girl did.
I would wait before going for a c section. It is still a major abdominal surgery and worst case scenario, they can still decide on an emergency one of it doesn't progress during labour.
First babies take a bit longer to bake lol, and the longer the baby is in there, the heavier he gets.
Wait and see what they say on your next scan, but if your GD is under control and your baby is measuring normally, I would try to go natural.x

I know. I'm just so confused. All along everyone has said hey dont section based on weight, but then she mentioned it yesterday as if everyone who has a 9lb baby should have a c section.

His measurements are up and down all over the place on his graph, but its bevause hes in a weird position so who knows. Xx

My friend has had two GD babies naturally. Both were over 10lb. If you want to be induced rather than have a section, you should be well within your rights to ask for that. You don't need a section just because baby is big.. Though it makes it more likely you'll end up with an emergency one, which is probably why they're suggesting going straight for it. How you plan to give birth is your choice, don't forget that xx

I'm so confused with them, all along every different consultant I've seen said they dont section based on weight and then the new consultant I saw yesterday acted as if everyone with a baby estimated to be over 9lbs would be sectioned. I thought it was just for emergencies tbh.

I also domt know weather she meant if hes weighing over 9lb at next scan at 38+4 or if she meant estimated weight at 40 weeks from next scan? Hes 7lbs2 now so surely hes not going to put on over 2lbs in two weeks? He hasn't so far. Hes putting on between a 1lb and a 1lb and half roughly every fortnight.

I'm not against sections, I understand the are needed, I'm just thought it wasnt the norm to opt straight for one xx

I'm so confused with them, all along every different consultant I've seen said they dont section based on weight and then the new consultant I saw yesterday acted as if everyone with a baby estimated to be over 9lbs would be sectioned. I thought it was just for emergencies tbh.

I also domt know weather she meant if hes weighing over 9lb at next scan at 38+4 or if she meant estimated weight at 40 weeks from next scan? Hes 7lbs2 now so surely hes not going to put on over 2lbs in two weeks? He hasn't so far. Hes putting on between a 1lb and a 1lb and half roughly every fortnight.

I'm not against sections, I understand the are needed, I'm just thought it wasnt the norm to opt straight for one xx

To be honest those growth scans are wildly inaccurate so he could be a lot bigger or smaller than they're predicting. They don't usually do a section based purely on weight but that particular consultant might prefer to, they've all got their own opinions on what's best. Some are a bit chop happy and recommend sections for everyone lol. At the end of the day it's up to you. I was induced and was in hospital for 3 nights before baby was born and 2 nights after. It would've been 3 nights if I had a section.. so if you're trying to minimise hospital time I'd go with the section.

To be honest those growth scans are wildly inaccurate so he could be a lot bigger or smaller than they're predicting. They don't usually do a section based purely on weight but that particular consultant might prefer to, they've all got their own opinions on what's best. Some are a bit chop happy and recommend sections for everyone lol. At the end of the day it's up to you. I was induced and was in hospital for 3 nights before baby was born and 2 nights after. It would've been 3 nights if I had a section.. so if you're trying to minimise hospital time I'd go with the section.

I just want what ever will be quicker atm. My hospital has stopped all visitors. Dads are allowed for the birth but only when in established labour and have to go home straight afterwards and arent allowed back inside, have to meet mum and baby outside the hospital, so now I want whatever will be quicker.

I'll be seeing a different consultant next time now though and worried now they'll insist on an induction and then I will be hanging around for days beforehand and possibly afterwards on my own. Dreading it now. Xx

I just want what ever will be quicker atm. My hospital has stopped all visitors. Dads are allowed for the birth but only when in established labour and have to go home straight afterwards and arent allowed back inside, have to meet mum and baby outside the hospital, so now I want whatever will be quicker.

I'll be seeing a different consultant next time now though and worried now they'll insist on an induction and then I will be hanging around for days beforehand and possibly afterwards on my own. Dreading it now. Xx

A c-section is probably quicker but if you're induced you might respond really well and have bubs quick! Then you won't need to be in recovery as long. If you have a complication free birth you can discharge yourself really quickly too. There's no way to know what will be fastest I'm afraid. Good luck with the next consultant, keep us updated xx

I know with all the changes to visitors they’re aiming to discharge straightforward Vaginal births after 3-6 hours but c sections needs to stay 24 hours. Just so you know! Good luck x

Thanks ladies,

Problem is though if I dont respond well with induction and need a c section anyway (which is what the consultant was getting at), plus me and baby have to stay in for 24 hours afterwards either way for them to check his blood sugars every two hours for the first 24 hours. So either way will be without DH for a while.

It's all horrible this. Hopefully i go into labour naturally within the next two weeks, can stay at home for as long as poss, have am uncomplicated birth and can get home after the 24 hours.

My mum had me at 37 weeks. I'm 37+1 today! Heres to hoping xx

Dads aren't allowed in for initial induction process either untill in established labour. Which could take days couldn't it. It's so rubbish all this xx

Dads aren't allowed in for initial induction process either untill in established labour. Which could take days couldn't it. It's so rubbish all this xx

if you need to stay in 24 hours anyway I’d probably go for the c section. I know it’s totally personal choice but induction can take says so at least you wouldn’t have that with a c section.

I was supposed to be induced if I hit 40 weeks but I’ve been told that’s likely to be cancelled now which is rubbish. I’m 38+2 so just hoping I go myself X

if you need to stay in 24 hours anyway I’d probably go for the c section. I know it’s totally personal choice but induction can take says so at least you wouldn’t have that with a c section.

I was supposed to be induced if I hit 40 weeks but I’ve been told that’s likely to be cancelled now which is rubbish. I’m 38+2 so just hoping I go myself X

Ugh, I know. I'm really hoping I go on my own before then. That way I can stay in my home for as long as possible before going in and then when baby arrives it'll only be a day without support from OH. Really dont want a lengthy induction where I am apart from DH waiting for something to happen only to need a c section in the end anyway.

Was also told my diabetic nurse to try and Express milk beforehand incase bubs blood sugars are low at birth . She was meant to give me a pack last twice over seen her but forgot times, and I also forgot despite mentioning it again last time I was there!

Planning on having a go tonight, have some sterile 1ml syringes so hopefully they will accept that if ican get any at all. Boobs havent grown a cm so really worried I won't even be able to produce milk. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back