Gestational diabetes planned c section?

maythe4thbewit

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm 36+4, currently still diet controlled. I've had one 'high' blood sugar reading two weeks ago, not had any since.

Baby was on he 90th percentile at 28 weeks and dropped to the 75th at 32 and 34 weeks. Had my 36 week growth scan today and baby has had growth spurt and has gone back up nearly to the 90th percentile. Hes measuring 7lbs2oz already at 36+4. Saw consultant afterwards, booked in for another scan at 38+4 she said if hes measuring 9 or 10 lbs then she would rather book me in for a c section at 40 weeks rather than mess about with induction. Hes not going to gain 2 lbs in two weeks surely?

All babys scans have been difficult to get accurate measurements because hes been in awkward positions.

Has anyone else been pushed towards a c section straight away rather than induction? I was under the impression plenty of ladies gave birth to 9lb babys and that c sections were only offered/performed as a last resort.

Just looking for some advice/experiences.

Thanks ladies xx

Hi, I’ve been tested all 3 times for GD in my pregnancies as I meet all the risk factors but have never had it. My babies were 8lb 8 (natural labour ending in forceps delivery), 10lb 1oz (induced at 40+1 and delivered naturally) and 9lbs 6oz (induced at 39+2 due to lack of movement on a scan, delivered naturally).

so yes you can perfectly safely give birth to a baby that size. I absolutely would do anything not to have a c section, last baby was found to be breech at 37 weeks and I was offered to have him manually turned or to be sectioned, I went for turning and it worked, but had it not I genuinely think I would have considered pushing for a breech birth.

don’t let anyone push you into something you don’t want unless they can fully explain why they think you need one and a big baby isn’t a good enough reason in my eyes x

P.S from the scan of my third baby they estimated he would be 10lb 15 so that was a ridiculous over estimate. I feel like they are stabbing in the dark with some of their estimates.

With GD won’t they induce you early? Especially if they think baby is big. I developed gd in last few weeks and baby was measuring 8lb 7 at 38 weeks so I was induced. Had option of c-sec but previously delivered an 8 14 baby so I was happy to go for normal delivery.
scans can be wrong too...this baby was born at 38+6 and was 8lb2!

ps. Consultant put the fear in me about delivery, be warned they have to tell you all the risks! If I hadn’t done it before it really would have scared me a lot more.

With GD won’t they induce you early? Especially if they think baby is big. I developed gd in last few weeks and baby was measuring 8lb 7 at 38 weeks so I was induced. Had option of c-sec but previously delivered an 8 14 baby so I was happy to go for normal delivery.
scans can be wrong too...this baby was born at 38+6 and was 8lb2!

ps. Consultant put the fear in me about delivery, be warned they have to tell you all the risks! If I hadn’t done it before it really would have scared me a lot more.

Well that's why I was shocked when she suggested a c section over induction. I thought they would just induce me early. Didnt think it was the norm to be offered a c section.

I will be seeing a different consultant at 38+4 (see a different one eveytime) so they might say something entirely different xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back