Gestational diabetes...but not?

Kfryfry

Reaction score
Bear with me because this is kind of long and weird.

I have no risk factors for GD aside from being over 30 (I’m 31), but i know it doesn’t really matter.

At 27 weeks I went to get my 1hr glucose test and failed it with a 153-cutoff was 135. I saw my OBGYN after who told me to follow a GD diet (very little explanation on how to do this aside from no rice, bananas, watermelon, grapes, and sugar. Ok then-I’ve googled a lot), and to schedule my 3 hr w/in a week. She basically told me that failing the 1hr indicates some sort of glucose intolerance.

I took my 3hr a few days later and passed all 4 draws pretty easily. Fasting 76, should be under 95. 1hr 156 should be under 180. 2hr 138 should be under 155. 3hr 105 should be under 140. I saw a different doctor because mine was out of town, and she told me that I don’t have gestational diabetes so I won’t be going to counseling or checking my numbers. She also said I DON’T need to be on a GD diet, just don’t eat daily donuts. Damn, how’d she know? (Kidding-I don’t eat donuts.)

So I am REALLY CONFUSED. Should I be monitoring what I eat? Am I allowed to have an occasional treat? Do I need to be on a GD diet? I’ve cut out pretty much all sweets (did have ice cream last night but that was my 1st treat in a month). I’m honestly terrified that I’m going to cause an issue with my baby. Are there false negatives on the 3hr?

If you failed your 1hr but passed the 3hr, what did YOU do? Would you change your diet a little? Follow a strict GD diet? Or do nothing?

I’m super confused about what I should be doing. I’m super confused as to if I have some sort of glucose intolerance or not. I’ll ask my doctor on Monday but that seems like forever away right now. I’d appreciate any advice.

I don't have any advice unfortunately. I think it's best to wait for your GP and talk to them. So sorry you're in limbo right now..x

A one off fail doesn’t necessarily mean GD. If your follow ups were fine I would suggest you are fine to carry on as normal, just without those daily donuts :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back