Gender theories

emma_85

Reaction score
I stumbled across a website that talked in great length about conception, particularly listing many theories on conceiving either a girl or boy. Mostly I found them to be pretty humorous. One theory made me think...
Apparently the female sperms, containing X chromosome, live longer. Therefore you could be more likely to have a girl if you do the deed 3 days before ovulation to give the slow swimming females a chance to get to the egg.

If this is the case, surely those who wait for the OPK sticks to show positive before getting jiggling, are inevitably going to conceive a boy if they do manage to conceive. Interesting thinking!

I'm not sure what I think personally. It's 50/50 chance as I see it. It's surprising how many theories are out there.

Is anyone trying a particular theory out to conceive a specific gender? I can't say we are, I know my husband would love a girl. I on the other hand would be thrilled with another boy and equally pleased to have a girl as long as the baby is healthy.

Typical boys...Rushing to the end of sexy time :lol:

We aren't fussed and won't find out if we get pregnant. But I find these theories interesting. I don't necessarily think there is much to them, mind you, but would be interesting to see if any have worked for people x

Last edited:
The Shettles Method has pretty good "reviews". Apparently it is very true that girl sperm live longer but are slower - so it's best to DTD up until the day before ovulation for a girl, and the day of ovulation and the day after for a boy.

I was fascinated with all the theories! I ended up reading up on it for hours!
The shettles method seems the most plausible one, but I'm still dubious.

We already have a 5 year old boy and so one of each would be lovely, but I couldn't spend my time living by the theories. I know some people do. I read that a husband was put on a strict red meat diet to try and conceive a boy! It's astonishing what lengths people will go to.

My friend used Shettles and some 'girl friendly' diet advice recently.... She fell pregnant on the first month of TTC in Dec.... we won't find out the gender until about May though! :D

Shettles can prevent some people getting pregnant at all though, if the man's sperm generally don't live long enough to meet the egg. So it's often not recommended for those struggling to conceive or with known sperm issues.

Our timing worked out to fit the Shettles method a couple of cycles & nothing happened... so we are now back doing what we did when we conceived our son & dtd on day of Ov... the chances are still 50:50! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back