Gassy 1 Month old baby and Formula feeding

NewDaddy4328

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. So I wanted to put this out there so that somebody that knows better can point me in the right direction.

Me and my wife's 1 month old daughter is having some issues with gas and formula feeding. My wife was never really motivated with breast feeding and is pretty much giving up on it other than pumping every couple days or so. Our baby is more than likely going to be strictly formula fed.

She was initially given instant Enfamil NeuroPro formula at the hospital and we don't remember any issues with gas with that. After the first week, we switched her to the powdered version of Enfamil NeuroPro and things have slowly been ramping up since then.

Over the past few weeks we've been noticing that she's getting consistent gas pain cries every so often, like maybe 1 to 2 times a day. Today we had an episode that was really bad and it took a while, a couple extra diaper changes, and a couple more small formula feeds than normal to get her to calm down.

We've tried using different formulas such as Enfamil GentleEase and Enspire, and Similac Pro-Total Comfort for a couple to a few days at a time and they've all seemed to make her gas/bowel movements even worse than the NeuroPro. My wife and I have given up on trying different formulas because they've all seem to go bad.

We even tried Gripe Water for about 3 or 4 feedings in a row one time and it didn't seem to help much. Does anyone have any advice on things to try that couple help alleviate this?

Have you tried a formula without any cow's milk or soy protein? Those are very similar in structure and if a baby doesn't react well to cow's milk protein, they will probably not react well to the soy either.

I had switched to a rice based one for my eldest and she basically changed from a gassy unhappy baby to a sleeping happy one.

I don't know where you are from so have no idea what they might have in your area.

As for the breastfeeding, I feel like you are annoyed that your wife stopped breastfeeding. It's exhausting, painful and she might not have enough supply to feed the baby. Pumping is not good for your supply either, it can lead to oversupply or the opposite. As a partner, I would support her in her decision because you might be upset but she will feel alone and a failure because she didn't meet your demands. A formula fed baby is just as healthy as a breastfed one. The best thing you can do, is just to be there for her. A baby is a huge change in your relationship dynamics and it takes time to get to a place where you can both breathe again. If ever in doubt please consult a pediatrician because you can't just switch formula every few days, you have to at least try it for a week before dismissing it.

Best of luck to you both.x

Agreeing with Kitana here. My 3 month old was having issues with lactose intolerance and we switched to soy. He’s been fine ever since then- that’s just my personal experience.

But changing formula every few days will only mess with the baby’s tummy. You have to stick with it for at least 2 weeks to see how they tolerate it. that could be why baby is so unhappy.

I would 100% talk to your pediatrician about this and see what they think the issue could be. It’s important to have guidance from a professional while switching formulas.

I never wanted to breast feed. I didn’t want a child attached to me 12 hours of the day… no help at night, no time for myself. It would’ve been bad for my mental health. It’s important to have time to decompress and breathe without a baby attached to your boob. Try to see it that way if you really feel some type of way about your wife not breastfeeding. It’s not for everyone, and it doesn’t always work.
Best of luck to you!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back