Gas Safety when buying a house

jennilisanne

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We're in the process of buying a house and we're so close to the end, but the seller (the daughter of the chap who owned it, but died) can't provide us with a gas safety certificate. Do you think it's unreasonable of us to tell them to get it checked and make any repairs before we exchange?

It's really hard to know what to do. My OH would be really upset if it all fell through (it's on the street where he grew up), and so would I, but there are other houses around in our price range.

We're thinking of saying to the seller, sort it out, or we pull out.

Oh, plus she can't find the garage door key!!

Are we being unreasonable do you reckon?

What does your solicitor say? I didn't have to provide one when I sold my house last summer.

I would get it checked and certified hun.

My friend and her bf moved into a beautiful rented flat earlier this summer. The gas system was dodgy and they almost died from carbon monoxide poisoning within a week or so of moving in. You need to be super careful with stuff like that especially as you're pregnant.

It's not an unreasonable request you're making so I'd definitely ask if I were you. Good luck xxx

Last edited:
I'd be requesting a gas safety certificate and a new lock on the garage before I exchanged. x

Thanks guys. Just had a checklist of one of the visits sent through which said there was a fault that hasn't been fixed! Hubby not happy!

Ugh, this may end very soon after so long!

Our solicitor was great when we sold our flat last year, this year with buying she's not so hot. Hmm!!

My dad is a Gas Engineer, I'll ask him!

He said: "they have to provide proof that all work was carried out by registered installer (Gas Safe) or you can expect a safety certificate"

Last edited:
We just sold a property in the UK about five weeks ago, the buyer asked us (a week before completion was due) for a gas certificate to prove the boiler etc was safe but we couldn't find it - are 7,000 miles away and my mum was dealing with the sale, we told her we wouldn't be getting a replacement one she came back the next day and bought the place anyway.

The only certificate you have to provide is the EPC. Everything else is just a bonus.

I don't know how far along the line to buying the place you are, but if you were close to the end and changing the terms (asking for repairs that hadn't been included in the initial offer) as a seller I'd pull out and move on. The last thing I'd want to deal with is a seller changing the terms close to the end. If you are only just putting the offer in now and want certain things fixed then that is different.

I then asked him what happens if they can't provide either, he said "They will have to pay for a gas safety test and boiler service"

He's been a self employed gas engineer for 20 odd years, I'd trust what he says.

I'd trust the law! The law is an EPC. Anything else is a bonus.

Even that gas safe register's own website says it is the homebuyer's responsibility to service and safety check any gas appliances.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/advice/buying_a_new_home.aspx

"If your vendor cannot supply an up to date annual gas safety record, you should get a Gas Safe registered engineer to check the gas appliances before you move in" The you is the buyer, not the seller. The seller does not have to supply a GSR, it is not a legal requirement when selling a house, it's just a nice bonus/confidence thing for a buyer.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!!

We're ready to exchange whenever we get the certificate, which we've been asking for for months, so we haven't just sprung it on them. Hubby told them to get a certificate done and any repairs or we'll leave it and they've agreed.

I wouldn't be so bothered if there were people living there, but the place has been empty for about a year, so no-one would know if there was a problem.

Very relieved they've agreed. It's a small amount for them to pay that they're not really losing once they get all the money through after completion! Phew!!

Last edited:
Glad you've got it sorted! I hope the rest of the process goes smoothly.

You'd have to have one for renting, not purchasing.

That's all.

so glad your getting it done im a gas engineer and you wouldn't believe how dangerous people will let there boiler or fire get to save £50 blocked fires are the most popular and dangerous boilers. x

Yeah, we would def have it done, just thought it was fair the other side sorted it, which they are, yay! Nearly fell through again when we saw it on Saturday and learnt about next doors extension.., luckily it's not going to block our light/view too much, phew!! Hopefully 4 weeks today we'll be picking up the keys, yay!!

Yeh they should get it done for you really just because you don't know who they have had working on the gas, if it was a cowboy and your plumber found all the problems it could cause a lot of money to fix it, i have seen boilers that have needed condemning because cowboys had fitted them so wrong. And to get it fixed or a new boiler is a lot plus the price to check it in the first place. xx

I would definitely make sure one is obtained somehow! We received one when we bought our property even though we planned to rip out the old boiler anyway. Boilers can be scary things and can be so dangerous if they haven't been maintained or are faulty in any way!

I think you can check with Corgi that the work was registered/approved if they don't have a certificate. We are buying at the moment and they can't provide the cert either but the solicitors have written to us saying that the work was registered with Corgi so all should be fine. We did the same with our windows as we had lost the fensa certificate xxx

I think you can check with Corgi that the work was registered/approved if they don't have a certificate. We are buying at the moment and they can't provide the cert either but the solicitors have written to us saying that the work was registered with Corgi so all should be fine. We did the same with our windows as we had lost the fensa certificate xxx

I would check because Corgi doesn't exist as the gas regulator anymore its been over two year since it was changed, its Gas Safe they should be registered with and if the solicitors said Corgi get it checked. You can pay to use the Corgi name still but it doesn't mean anything it doesn't mean your gas qualified or anything.

Gas safe website:
http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

xxx

Last edited:
If the work is older than two years old it will be Corgi however they should have the safety certificates for the last two years from a gas engineer with the gas safety register dont want the solicitors leading you on- they will tell you anything to sell a house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back