Fussy eating toddler

Lucyboo

Reaction score
My LG is now 16 months and has loved her food right from weaning, ate everything we gave her, now most of it goes on the floor apart from breadsticks, cucumber and fruit, she will take the odd thing, not sure whether this Is to blame but my in laws are very anti child feeding themselves and all for spoon feeding and I know on the occasions they have babysat they have tried the spoon feeding, even with her chunks of fruit. She usually bolts her mouth shut to anyone trying this which is why I offer finger foods. is it possible this could have spooked her as I am starting to wonder what to do next, last night I made up 3 things to get the food down her. She just plays with it then it goes on the floor.

OMG Lucyboo, I could have written this two weeks ago, I was at end of my tether, tears of frustration with my toddler as they are at the age of chooosing/ showing preference but not at the age of understanding if they dont eat something there isnt anything else and also not at the age whereby you could let them go without...it is an ongoing bottle. Like your LO, after learning to feed herself she flat out refuses assistance even now with yoghurt (have to stay nearby tho cos she ends up with it in her hair otherwise!), and I, like you, had my trusty meals down pat with an elemtn of variety....cereal, toast and fruit brekkie, sarnies, fruit, cheese and crisps lunch, some concoction of meat/veg and rice/pasta or potato and it always went down a treat. then suddenly the meals I made in advance and froze were being spat out and thrown so I had endless days of ending up opening a tin because wanted to get something down her even if it was spaghetti and sausages (her fave!), I tore my hair out worrying about her getting her veggies in and even now I worry each day what to make and how it will be 'received'...dont even get me started on wastage, I had portion sizes down pat too and thought the days of wastage during weaning were over....oooh no...worse now....

Anyway I have had to trial different finger foods to get meat and veggies into her and this is what has been working 60% of the time (stiull fussy with it lol)...veggie fingers/samosas or crispyveggiebakes, fish fingers, chicken nuggets, sausages etc, all cooked and prepared to be eaten as finger food, then chunks of sweet potato or mash with either beans, sweetcorn or if Im lucky some other veggies and some days when she's been v hungry this has worked but other days just pushed away....today I tried a chicken, veg and rice dish with sauce I knew she liked and an hour later, after three requests for food, I finally have four teaspoonfuls down her...the latter two fed by me on my lap...sigh..I know its not enough and it is v hard but I kept trying to explain to her that this is dinner, and a hungry child should eventually eat it regardless right? Oh no, the toddler defiance withstands hunger lol...But you have to keep trying and it is hard with their tea as you cant make this experience go on for long as you then have bath and bottle then bed so time is running out for you to feed them and dont want them eating too late as itll affect their sleep....aaargh thought early morning wakeups were frustrating but this is worse as you feel it three times a day, when you do your food shopping and you worry every night whether theyve had enough...sigh...I feel for you and hopefully some of my food items/methods will help but im going to guess that everyone is going to say trial and error/every child different etc etc...

Good luck! Sorry for the essay but this topic is very much in my thoughts lol

Oh and had these issues for the past month and shes just turned 18mths...

I think it's a developmental thing where they realise they can control what they eat. My lo was a good eater until 16 months when he started refuting things he used to love which was all fruit, yoghurt, salmon, some veg, so many things. He is now over 3 and I hate to say still so fussy he's never gone back to eating well. It's the hardest and most frustrating thing he challenges us with! Daily battle. But I think in most cases it's a phase and if she's been eating well before she will hopefully go back to it soon xxx

FX KayKay cos if she's still this fussy at 3 OMG, won't have any hair eft lol...Ive noticed a trend though she goes off er food just before a cold and yesterday she hardly ate anything then today sniffles and still of her food...surprised she slept all night tbh with what little she had lol...

My daughter has started to skip lunch in particular. Got egg in her yesturday but she won't eat toast or sandwiches...BUT she will eat later on after nap.

Have to admit she really wound me up this lunch time - wouldn't even have a bite of her spaghetti shapes so put her straight to bed and will try her on toast afterwards. Very ready for this phase to be over.

Last edited:
It's a relief knowing it's not just me, lunch has just taken over an hour, after refusing a toasted tea cake, crackers, and ham, she ended up having half a pack of mini cheddars ( looks like a bic bic) fruit, cucumber and is currently munching on an apple, suppose at least she is eating some healthy stuff, it's just frustrating and worrying for sure as don't want her going hungry. Breaky she ate a couple of raspberries, couple of satsuma segments and about 10 dry cheerios. Now to try and plan tea, we got roast so to try and make it toddler friendly I will at least chop pots in chip shape. I think she is teething again ( we only have 4 teeth ATM, so that could be causing more pain. x

The less fuss you make the easier you make it yourself. My little one didn't wean and that ended up because his teeth were almost always bothering him, they come one after another so only a couple of days maybe a week or two at a stretch he'd eat and then revert back to not wanting to eat anything then be interested again and so on. It became worse and worse with the last molars and that's when it became obvious it was a pattern it was related with his teeth. So a week or two after he turned 2 he had all his teeth and the sickness related stopped and him reverting to not wanting to eat stopped too and he at fab then he got his fussy phase... took about half a year then suddenly grew out of it and was willing again to eat everything again. I never once put stuff on a list that he didn't like, I have always had the just wait and see approach and if he eats it great if he doesn't he doesn't and we can see at another time. He eats fantastic now and he's a terrible three age now, even eats his greens!

Well the past couple of days had a bit of a breakthrough. She eats when we sit at the table with her, i twigged when we were out last weekend for lunch with family she didn't throw her food around, so yesterday when out with friends all of us sat round the table, she ate her whole sandwiches, same with her tea, I just sat with a cup of tea at the table, again tonight, she ate all of her chicken and potato, let's see if we can keep it up now, x

hi lucyboo, yeah noticed this too but then our lil madam wants whats on our plate not hers even if we have put some of ours on her plate as she watches...ends up being a elbow knocking, cutlery clanging mess on the floor lol...she didnt want much for brekkie or lunch today, lunch was barely a bite or two of spag bol then gave in and gave her a babybel, some fruit 2hrs later and finally an hour later she ate two rounds of bread as sarnies...finally a good qty! They do sort themselves out but was amazed today to see her walking/running loads in the fresh cool air at a park for over an hour on barely a snack qty at lunchtime bless her...not stressing so much now but defo better offering a lighter t with items I am fairly certain she'll eat...dont think she's quite of an age to be offered same meal for two mealtimes yet and dont think its fair but do reoffer several times over an hour or so so she learns to eat up or she wont get anything nice...it is hard work though...still she is still steadily gaining weight and still sleeping through so could be worse I guess...

She's quite young and it's most likely just a phase, if you're really worried you can put in place food desensitization which is where you'd use her favorite snack as a reinforcer and give her a tiny bit of something different, when she eats that she gets the favorite thing, build this up with a couple of different foods every couple of weeks (dependent on how it's going). It might be a bit of a battle to start with until she gets the idea that a tiny bit of that leads to something really nice!

Oh we had the exact same problem.. I think patience is key in this situation and don't give up trying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back