Fussy at the Breast

Lime76

Reaction score
This is my second time breastfeeding. My son was breastfed for 6 months with no issue however my 9 week old daughter has been very fussy at the breast since she was 3 weeks old. She is gaining weight so is obviously taking in enough milk however she will suck for about 5-10 seconds then stop & this goes on until she no longer wants the breast at all - usually 5-10 minutes. It makes the feeding process so drawn out which is difficult with a 3 year old to look after also.

Has anyone else experienced this with their children? I have spoken to the Breastfeeding Association numerous times, I've seen lactation consultants & my GP however everyone tells me to continue as we are & that it's normal.

I am getting very frustrated & am contemplating putting her on formula.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Don't know if putting her on a bottle is going to help? Might just still be as fussy and that may be more frustrating.

Maybe try putting the breast away when she de-latches and trying her again in a minute and keep doing that and see if she "gets the message" I remember my little girl being fussy and it is frustrating and I'm sure with a distracting big brother around too, it can be difficult.

Keep going, remember, you're doing a fabulous job! X

Do you wind efficiently? Has your LO been checked for tongue tie and silent reflux?

When you say fussy what exactly is she doing? Is she crying/arching her back? Did the lactation consultant examine her for tongue tie? x

I was going to say the same silent reflux or tongue tie. My LO had tongue tie but no know told me till she was 7 weeks i then got it cut a day later and things got better. Infact im feeding her as i type this and she is 16months now. I had seen loads of different breast feeding clinics and even midwifes then eventually they said oh yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back