Further along than 4+4?!

firstfreakout

Reaction score
Hi guys.. A very long story short:
My LMP was 2/12/16, however started quite spotty. I can't for the life of me remember how long it went on for or if it got heavier as I had just changed teams at work and was preoccupied.

I got my BFP on 24/12/16 (Christmas Eve!!) on a FRER and Boots cheapie, which was very clear. By Boxing Day I had a + on a Clearblue digi and two days later it said 2-3 weeks. I would only have been about 3 weeks when I got my first BFP, and I already had symptoms a few days before...

I went to the GP as this is my first ever pregnancy and I had no idea what to do (lol) and he told me to go to the EPU to get a scan to see if I am further along, as my period before was 5/11/16 which would make more sense for the symptoms and very early BFP. (Now I must at that my periods have been like clockwork both on and off contraception since I was 12. Never missed one, never spotted, never late. I was just lucky I guess. However I don't chart or use OPKs as we weren't trying, so it is possible I may have ovulated earlier, however given my periods were always on time, this must have been a freak thing!)

I went to the EPU today and they said going by my LMP they wouldn't scan me unless bloods showed HCG higher than 2500 as 4 weeks or so would be too early to show anything, so sent me for a blood test.

The results came back this afternoon as 3000!
The nurse said this seemed too high for only 4+5 and told me to come in first thing for a scan to check dates before referral to midwives etc.

I was just wondering, from other's experience with HCG levels -
What are the chances I am further along by having a level of 3000, and what are the chances of it being more than one bean?!

You could possibly be pregnant with twins? X

Last edited:
The averages that I found are:

hCG levels in weeks from LMP (gestational age)* :

3 weeks LMP: 5 – 50 mIU/ml
4 weeks LMP: 5 – 426 mIU/ml
5 weeks LMP: 18 – 7,340 mIU/ml
6 weeks LMP: 1,080 – 56,500 mIU/ml
7 – 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 – 229,000 mIU/ml

So yes it does look like you might be a bit further on with that. However I don't know whether it might be multiples instead. I guess you will find out in the morning! How exciting :)

Ha! I would really prefer not to have twins, so I'm hoping I have just one in there :p

This is exciting, good luck for tomorrow!

Ahh i would love twins! :dance:

Same! Keep winding up my DH about it haha.

Good luck with your scan firstfreakout! How exciting if you're further along and even more exciting if it's twins! Keep us posted xx

Thank you all! I've been really struggling since I found out with my emotions, and although I'm so happy and have wanted to have a baby for a while now, I'm terrified and can't seem to get myself excited yet. It doesn't help that one of my bosses is an absolute dick about pregnant women...
i'm hoping this first scan will help it feel more real and exciting! :)

Oh screw them... that would make me delight in telling them even more!! I know my headteacher will be outwardly nice but internally p'd off. I couldn't care less! Really not what's important. You have good rights as a pregnant employee! I'm sure the scan will help to reassure you and get you excited! Xx

Oh screw them... that would make me delight in telling them even more!! I know my headteacher will be outwardly nice but internally p'd off. I couldn't care less! Really not what's important. You have good rights as a pregnant employee! I'm sure the scan will help to reassure you and get you excited! Xx

Yeah I told him but he's just been really horrible and said some things that are going to be reported to his boss....

But I'm sure this first step will help :)

Last edited:
Ladies I am very confused.

I went for my transvaginal scan this morning as per the above, as my HCG levels were at 3000 and they needed to check how many weeks I was.

The scan showed what the nurse person called a small gestational sac which measures at a mean of 5.3mm, but she couldn't see a yolk sac. She also said that she tried looking inside the sac but couldn't see anything. She said that due to not being able to see a yolk sac that it is a "pregnancy of unknown viability" - meaning it's too early, it's a pregnancy of an unknown location, or I'm about to miscarry.

Now.
I had a positive pregnancy test that showed up right away exactly 22 days after the first day of what I believed to be my last period along with pregnancy symptoms, however they were concerned the period before was my last actual period. Meaning I would be almost 9 weeks, which I'm pretty sure we can now rule out due to the size of the sac. So I don't see how I would be any less than 4 weeks 6 days...
I also had pregnancy symptoms two or so days before the positive pregnancy tests.

She has told me to go back in 7 days (12th Jan) for another scan to see if a yolk sac is visible etc. However has also told me to prepare for the possibility of a miscarriage and go back to EPU/A&E if I get any bleeding.

(Apart from slight cramping/pulling in my abdomen for the last two weeks on and off, I have had no real pain or spotting/bleeding, and my pregnancy symptoms continue as normal)

I'm terrified. I couldn't stop crying on my way home and I really don't know what to think.

all of my google searches have returned posts from women who have had similar results on scans between 4-6 weeks, and they have gone on to find the yolk sacs and even heart beats 1-2 weeks later and have healthy pregnancies.

Is it just too early?

Last edited:
It sounds like it's just too early. If you were going through a transition at work, that extra stress can affect your period which may explain why it was weird. If you were 9 weeks measuring 5 weeks, you would have miscarried weeks ago. The body automatically flushes everything out, and if it doesn't then you can get very ill very quickly, as in a matter of days so it would have been really obvious ether way.

Getting symptoms two days before a positive test is completely normal, the hcg levels cause the symptoms, and yours seem slightly higher than average so that would fit. I wouldn't worry hun, which is easier said than done I know

It sounds like it's just too early. If you were going through a transition at work, that extra stress can affect your period which may explain why it was weird. If you were 9 weeks measuring 5 weeks, you would have miscarried weeks ago. The body automatically flushes everything out, and if it doesn't then you can get very ill very quickly, as in a matter of days so it would have been really obvious ether way.

Getting symptoms two days before a positive test is completely normal, the hcg levels cause the symptoms, and yours seem slightly higher than average so that would fit. I wouldn't worry hun, which is easier said than done I know

Thanks for the reassurance, Kumber :)
I know that now my LMP was in fact my LMP.. just now worried and anxious due to not knowing what will happen and being told it might end in a mc. Although everything I've read online tips the balance towards too early and lots of women have had an amazing next scan :)

They just have to say about the mc to cover themselves, focus on the positive!

Too early I saw nothing with my ds a week later I picked his hv up on a home Doppler at my next scan there was a tiny bean wriggling around xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back