Fuming!!!!.. Anxious!!... Useless maternity service here!

scarlett1965

Reaction score
Hi all.
I am so bloomin' angry and frustrated today. I am 42 (43 next week) and on my 7th preganancy after losing 3 due to missed m/c 's and ectopic. I had my first child 20 yrs ago in Gloucester, my son in Blackburn and my Lilli in Burton upon Trent. All great maternity units. I moved back to Stroud and am 7 weeks pregnant this Thursday. My first midwife appt was rubbish - I am too much hard work for her re: my age and history problems. She didnt want to give me a scan but I pushed it as I am worried about another ectopic. ( My GP recommended it ). She sent the paperwork off and I was told I would get a scan this week. I had heard nothing so rang them, they didnt know anything and asked me to ring Ultrasound. They knew nothing either and said I wouldnt get in until 12 weeks. I then rang maternity again, literally fuming at being pushed from one to another, without any results. I asked them if they could at least check my bloods to see if HCG was doubling - their answer" no.. we dont do that". I asked what it was that they actually did do for older mums to be who had previous problems? "there is nothing really we can do"! was the reply. I am so cross as I look on this site and read so many posts about you all having bloods or early u/s's. They say that 70% of people here are taking cannabis,- thats why they are all so laidback- I think most of the midwives are taking it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway I asked for the number of the Early Pregnancy Unit in Gloucester. They are getting back to me by the end of the day with a scan date. I am anxious enough as it is without all this. If my baby is there, and ok I can see my ongoing pregnancy being a nightmare here.
I was born here but moved away 20 years ago. I missed it that much that we all moved back. Wishing now I hadn't bothered.
sorry to rant.. just had to let it all out.
love and best wishes to you all
Scarlett :x

I hope they do give you a scan date, then at least your mind will be put at rest...you would think with previous problems that they would be keeping an eye on you!

Sorry to hear this, it makes me so angry when the NHS treat you like an inconvenience. I've had a few problems with them lately but not as bad as yours - I'm 31 but high risk for a few reasons and they've been reasonably good with extra care, considering I live in an overpopulated area. At your age and with your history you should be seen earlier, have an early scan and have consultant led care!

I know it's stressful but if you can bear to keep on at them - you have to wear them down so they eventually give in otherwise they'll just forget about you.

I hope things improve for you :hug:

Sorry to hear about the useless maternity unit! fingers crossed you get a scan date soon!

Really sorry you are having to struggle with them. Do hope you get an early scan or atleast something to make sure things are progressing well. Let us know what happens..

hi

Thanks for all your support. My EPU have just rang and I have an early scan booked for next Tuesday at 11.40 when I will be 7 weeks and 5 days so hopefully they should see something. Typically I have started to get some more cramping pains, they had gone away for a day!
I was stressed out at not getting a scan and am now worrying about the scan !!!!!!!
Love Scarlett :roll:

I'm really pleased somebody's finally got off their arse and helped you, hun. The way you have been treated is shocking, especially with all your problems, and if it were me in your situation I would be writing a letter of complaint about your Midwife :hug:

My sister is experiencing the same in Cornwall. She is 39 and pregnant with second child after 15 years and a miscarriage first time around and high blood pressure etc. They didn't do any early scans (they weren't even offered). She then discovered she was at high risk for downs and they sent her for an amnio and when she got there they thought she was there about being Rhesus negative (not sure whether that's correct spelling) and when she said 'no' they asked 'what are you actually here for then' - very nice of them.

i love the personal touch. i am now pregnant and have the midwife who is a laugh a minute (not!) communication is not her strong point. i don't see why people do these caring jobs if they don't give a toss.

funnily enough i am a teacher and am currently teaching a group about customer service and interpersonal skills - at times I think their skills are better than most in the midwife unit.

I'm glad you've got a scan, try not to worry too much and keep as destressed as possible. (i know easier said than done!) Good luck

So pleased they have sorted it all out for you... roll on another week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back