from how many weeks can they tell you the sex of the baby

The general feeling is that gender only becomes conclusive at 16 weeks. A friend of mine recently lost her baby at 14 weeks and they couldn't make out the gender at all without chromosomal tests.

Most hospitals won't tell you the sex before 20 weeks as its still often not clear in scans done earlier. Or inconclusive and they want to cover themselves so won't tell any sooner.

A 20 weeks I am told its very clear one way or the other, so long as baby is obliging and in the right position to see :roll:

Well don't take what they say as set in stone.

My friend was told she was having a 9-10lb baby boy.

She was scanned 3 hours before labour and still told she was having a 9-10lb boy

She gave birth to Saffron, a 6lb 7oz GIRL!!!!!!!

gypsy said:
She was scanned 3 hours before labour and still told she was having a 9-10lb boy

She gave birth to Saffron, a 6lb 7oz GIRL!!!!!!!

Bit of a surprise :lol:

I'm told that sometimes its harder to sex girls than boys as it can occasionlly be misleading during scans. I forget exactly how its harder, but a friend of mine, a trainee doc just spent months in a maternity unit and said this was the case. Not sure how much truth there is in it though :roll:

Sherlock said:
Most hospitals won't tell you the sex before 20 weeks as its still often not clear in scans done earlier. Or inconclusive and they want to cover themselves so won't tell any sooner.

A 20 weeks I am told its very clear one way or the other, so long as baby is obliging and in the right position to see :roll:

OOOooo not always...

Apparentely it doesn't become very clear till around 23 weeks when a boy testicles descend...

I only know this because at 15 weeks, I was having a boy, at 19 weeks boy, at 23 weeks, girl...

So it's sorta hit and miss... right up till then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back