freezing breast milk?

lisa&alex

Reaction score
i froze mine in ice cube trays.. lol.. midwife suggested it.. never again.. got most of the milk cubes to pop out over the work surface.. so wasted a load of milk.. what doest everyone else use to freeze their milk?? i dont have a big freezer.. so needs to be space saving.. and not expensive..

Hi hun, I use little plastic freezer bags. I know that in the UK you can buy bags for this purpose - I live in Spain and just bought a roll of small plastic bags - seem to work fine. I put the milk in the bags, date 'em, put the amount on, and freeze. I do put the bags in a tupperware just to freeze, and then take them out and put loose in the freezer; that way I dont worry that they are going to puncture before frozen - just a worry of mine! :roll:

Lisa

these bags arnt sterilised though?

i suppose i could sterilise them in the liquid stuff though? thats a good idea actually. these bags u can buy are really expensive.. if i can sterilise normal bags i will use them.. makes sence really..

How stupid of me, I had never thought about the bags being sterile. :shock: Truth is, Ani has been having this milk and we've had no probs with it. I spose that by freezing, you are removing any bacteria anyway?

Lisa

When I used to freeze mine I used the plastic cups with a screw on lid, I think they're made by Avent? They're presterilised and reusable, plus they're really handy when you're weaning to put food in to take out for the day :) I use my cups for carrying small items like dummies etc in my bag as it keeps them clean.

I bought bags for freezing breastmilk from Boots. They were pre-sterilised.

Top tip - make sure you freeze them standing up right. Once they are frozen you can lie them down if needed for space. I didn't the first few and they were a pain when it came to defrosting them. I used to put them in an old icecream tub so that they didn't get damaged by other stuff in the freezer.

ehero.jpg

These are the ones I have too... £7.99 for 40... though admittedly I had a box bought for me, but they are good.

Same as Nicky_Jones. I use the milk storage bags from Boots. They are 7.99 for 40 bags. They are very handy and pre-sterilised too. They have space for you to write down the amount/date and time of expressing. Very handy and u can put them straight in the bottle if you want, I've never done it this way though, just empting them in the bottle. Oh, yes, these are the ones! Leckershell just put a photo of them on. :)

I used the boots ones too and put the bag back into a beaker to freeze so it froze beaker shaped. That way, when you defrost, you can do it in a beaker. Once it was frozen I just kept it all in the small draw at the bottom of the freezer

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back