Freaking out about weight gain HELP!

Talia1357

Reaction score
Hi ladies this is my first and myself and hubby are super excited but I'm freaking out about weight gain! I'm 14 weeks and have put on 13lbs!! 13!! I can't believe it I was small to start off with 5'2 size 6 120lbs. I'm still going to the gym and eating healthy as I have always been really conscious of my weight and struggled with an eating disorder at a young age. Weird thing is my measurements aren't that different (except my chest) in fact my legs have gone down a few inches!

It's really starting to get me down and I feel so self conscious it's like fighting a losing battle I wouldn't mind if I was putting on the weight and had the pleasure of eating Loads of junk food!
My baby is the most important thing to me so I refuse to cut down on what I'm eating as I'm eating a healthy balanced diet but just want to know if any one else has had this? I don't want to worry about weight during this amazing time and feel so blessed but surely this isn't normal?

Weight gain is perfectly normal. Some people pit it on nice and neatly and it's hard to notice some put it on all over. 13lb is not that much really. Bare in mind you have a baby amniotic fluid bigger bust.. not to mention the 50% extra blood that's in your body and your digestion slows to grab as much nutrients as it can
It all adds up. If your thighs are smaller I suggest your OK. I would be concerned about doing top much but as long as your coping I think your OK as long as your midwife agrees. My thighs went huge just to support my extra weight with my son. I went from an 8 before to a 12 immediately after birth but was back down not too long after. Your hips spread when pregnant so your figure will permanently change.

Last edited:
Hi hun, if you look a little down the list there was another thread about weight gain which was quite helpful. Everyone has their own normal so don't start comparing to others, that's a dangerous road.. If you were small to begin with then your gain will be slightly greater than an average-sized or overweight person. You might also find it comes in bursts (5 lb one week, none for the next few..) Just try not to stress about it, you're doing all the right things by eating healthily so you just need to try and loosen the control a little and trust your body.. I know it's hard x

I know it's hard to just let it happen, but weight gain is necessary and unavoidable. The smaller you are to begin with, the more you need to gain. So try not to worry, in 9 months you can go back to exercising and lose it all. Just remind yourself that the weight gain is for a good reason/purpose. You're gaining weight to give someone life. :thumbup:

I know it goes so much against the grain to see your weight go up so rapidly. As you are petite, you will find that your weight goes up more to sustain the baby growing inside you.

I think the one thing that saved me when I was pregnant last time was knowing that I could control my eating and exercise after baby arrived (having had a life of fairly disordered eating). I know that's not a healthy way of thinking perhaps, but it helped me.

Weight gain is perfectly normal. Some people pit it on nice and neatly and it's hard to notice some put it on all over. 13lb is not that much really. Bare in mind you have a baby amniotic fluid bigger bust.. not to mention the 50% extra blood that's in your body and your digestion slows to grab as much nutrients as it can
It all adds up. If your thighs are smaller I suggest your OK. I would be concerned about doing top much but as long as your coping I think your OK as long as your midwife agrees. My thighs went huge just to support my extra weight with my son. I went from an 8 before to a 12 immediately after birth but was back down not too long after. Your hips spread when pregnant so your figure will permanently change.

That's not true for all. I had some old class mates who had petite figures all their lives and they bounced back to their pre preg self. I've always been a bit more stocky and even though I was petite pre pregnancy I did get more hip and have excess around my waist left. Tho I must add I always had shortened muscles and didn't exercise pre pregnancy so I do believe I could've avoided it a bit more if I had exercised or done some yoga/Pilates pre pregnancy and made it more easier for myself to bounce back had I done that. And too I lived off junk food whilst preg because I was always sick and couldn't stomach much.

I was a size 4/6 before i got pregnant with my son (I was a runner) after I had him i lost all the weight but was in a 6/8 there wasn't a scrap of meat over my hips so the must have spread I also got left with pelvic pain due to it. Yes you can bounce back but I will never again be below a size 6. It's just impossible. Not that I'm complaining I recently put on tons of weight when I got very poorly and ended up a size 14 I went down to a 10 as soon as I was remotely fit enough but I'm loving my curvier figure and feel the happiest I have ever been with my body.

Last edited:
Hi! 13 pounds doesn't sound like a lot to be for 14 weeks, especially as you're very slim! You may be pleased to know that your rate of gaining won't necessarily continue at the same pace throughout the pregnancy though anyway. I gained a lot in tri1 and then a little in tri2 and now I'm about to head into tri3 I'm not gaining much really as I can barely eat at the moment. Your appetite will go up and down probably, so don't worry too much and lots of it will be fluid! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back