Formula milk recommendations ?

Clara89

Reaction score
Hi I am just wondering if anyone on here formula fed any of their children and what formula you found best suited for your child , heard a lot of stories that worry me a bit about Sma and just want some advice ....thankyou

It's a bit if trial and error really, we started with cow and gate, but son had a cows milk allergy, when he had to be weaned off we tried aptamil but still not good so had to go back on special milk when he was 11 months he was weaned off again and we tried hipp organic no reactions luckily so we stuck with it and will try that first this time. I doubt hipp organic was anything to do with him weaning off the special milk but will give it a go first

Thankyou ! Yeah I guess it's all trail and seeing really ! Just was thinking about it and seen a few brands x

I used aptimil with my first born and had no problems. Will formula feed this time too and try the same again! Xxx

We live out in the sticks so I went to my village shop to see what they stocked, in case I ran out lol. They sold cow and gate and aptamil but that was £1 more thanc&g. She settled fine on c&g and I never once had to use the village shop lol.

We started on Sma with our son but he became badly constipated and when he evwntually did poo it was ao hatd that it tore his bum :(. It was a weekend so I had called 111 for advice and the lady on the phone said its a common problem with sma as apparently its a very rich formula.
We changed to Aptamil and he was alot happier on that :)

My son 10 years ago was started on aptamil- after a few weeks he was still always hungry and just didn't settle on it , ten we tried cow an gate, then Sma again didn't settle well, went on to farleys in the end and it worked wonders . Took us moths to sort him as he was fussy. Aptamil was one the dearest and appeared to have good formula , farleys was one of the cheaper options but worked wonders

They all have to meet set standards to be marketed - there maybe slight differences - I found cow and gate to be very sweet ! Not sure if it's the same now

I've heard good reviews on hipp organic - it apparently reduces colic symptoms and because it's organic is more gentle on the tummy and digestion - when I o to bottle baby I'll be starte on hipp organic.

I'm going to breast feed for the first 3-4 months and wean into bottles when I return to work . That's if baby takes to breast- my son didn't but he was fussy lol ----- maybe my boobs were not to his liking hahaha

Last edited:
When my DD was weaning off breastmilk a few years ago I used HIPP Organic, she never had one problem with it xx

My lo is on Hipp Organic, we also tried Aptimil but it gave my lo very runny explosive poos x

I bf for 6 months then moved to hipp organic which suited my daughter really well. Supposedly it's the most similar to breast milk? But whether that's true or not I recommend it x

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

We started on Sma with our son but he became badly constipated and when he evwntually did poo it was ao hatd that it tore his bum :(. It was a weekend so I had called 111 for advice and the lady on the phone said its a common problem with sma as apparently its a very rich formula.
We changed to Aptamil and he was alot happier on that :)

We had sma at first and had the same issue.

We switched to cow and gate stage 1. Apparently milk with anything added ie the hungry baby stuff etc was full of starch so we were advised against that.

Cow and gate and Aptimil are the same company and ingredients except Aptamil is more expensive. Someone once contacted them and posted a thread a while back about it.

We were going next with hipp organic but due it only being available in certain places I was a bit wary incase I ran out one day but we didn't need it. Had heard good things about it though.

xxxxx

Last edited:
Thankyou mums ! It's great to hear your experiences ! First time mum so just wanted a over view of how people got on with the milk

I used aptamil with my first born and will be trying it again when this one makes an appearance. Xx

My lg was on aptamil, but then got colic so I switched to aptamil comfort and she improved within 24hrs. I'm hoping bf works out for me this time, but if not, we'll be trying aptamil first x

We switched to cow and gate stage 1. Apparently milk with anything added ie the hungry baby stuff etc was full of starch so we were advised against that.

Cow and gate and Aptimil are the same company and ingredients except Aptamil is more expensive. Someone once contacted them and posted a thread a while back about it.

We were going next with hipp organic but due it only being available in certain places I was a bit wary incase I ran out one day but we didn't need it. Had heard good things about it though.

xxxxx
Yes c&g is the exact same ingredients as Aptamil but more purse friendly. I used C&G Stage 1 and had no problems x

xxxxx
Yes c&g is the exact same ingredients as Aptamil but more purse friendly. I used C&G Stage 1 and had no problems x

Thankfully we automatically picked the Cow and gate before finding that out. Would have hated wasting money on the same thing. I dunno how they get away with it!? It might not be a huge difference but ofcourse x amount of tubs a week or month adds up.

I noticed a huge difference in consistency between the C&G and the SMA that we previously had used. More creamier. Are you using it this time?

xxxxx

Thankfully we automatically picked the Cow and gate before finding that out. Would have hated wasting money on the same thing. I dunno how they get away with it!? It might not be a huge difference but ofcourse x amount of tubs a week or month adds up.

I noticed a huge difference in consistency between the C&G and the SMA that we previously had used. More creamier. Are you using it this time?

xxxxx
I will more than likely use it again this time yes. It just seems like the bets one. SMA I have heard lots with constipation & Aptamil (considering the same ingredients) I have heard of lots of loose bowls x

I didn't plan to formula feed my son, but he had to be given formula in hospital and they gave him aptamil. They said in the hospital that the ready made stuff (although that is more expensive) is the closest one you can get to breast milk apparently. So when we got out of hospital we got some of the starter kits with the little bottles and teets in and some ready made bottles, then eventually moved onto the powder and stuck with it until he turned one. X

There isn't much difference in them. The worst thing u can do is swap and change too much as that affects baby's digestive system. That is why it is illegal for formula milk to be on sale or discounted or on promotion.They all claim to be breastmilk substitutes and closest to breastmilk etc, however there may be some forumla milk which is more similar in taste than another one, however, they do not come close to breastmilk in terms of nutrients, antibodies, consistency etc. If anyone intends on breast feeding( some have commented on this post that they do), then I would recommend not buying any forumla in advance or just in case. In order to succeed at breastfeeding it's important to trust your body and not to introduce formula too readily. Topping up with some forumla reduces your chances of successfully breastfeeding. It's called the top up trap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back