Formula feeding query

Fruity01

Reaction score
How often should you feed (approx) a 6 week old baby formula?

For reasons I have had to give up breast feeding and she was demand fed which I do not know how much she was actually drinking. But I now confused as to how often baby should be feeding?

I'm not going to stick to any schedule as that is the mistake I made with my first born so she will feed when she shows me the signs she is hungry. But for me to gage she's not going too long between feeds about how long are your babies going between feeds?

Last night I started her off with 4oz of formula but two hours later she was looking for more. Gave her more but she didn't take all the bottle and I left it at that and she slept till 5:15am this morning. I made a 5oz bottle with 1oz remaining and when I went to wind her all her back was soaking wet like the milk had been leaking out of her mouth and draining down the back of her if you get my meaning? But since then she has been asleep.

Feeling confused as to how often she should be feeding especially in this god forsaken heat! I don't think baby is that warm atm as I got a fan on swivel across the room from us and she is currently in a short sleeved vest with a thin blanket that has holes in it over her bottom half. She also slept like this last night in living with me as I can't get upstairs due to broken ankle.

Thanks
F.

I would start her on 5oz and if she drains that then keep offering 2 more and 2 more until she refuses it. Don't give her 5 and then leave her sort of thing cus then she'll not go a decent stretch as she won't have had a full meal. She will indicate when she's hungry, she might go 2, 3, 4 or 5 hours on 5oz+

The leaking thing is surprising, never heard of it before.

Milk leaking out of the side of the mouth is a classic sign of tongue tie. Did you give up breastfeeding because your lo has feeding issues? x

I agree with kumber re the feeds. I have had leaky bottles before if the teat wasn't on properly.

Maybe offer small amounts of cooled boiled water during the extreme heat, even if you LO takes just a couple of sips it's something.

Could your LO have been wet from the heat, my LG slept in nothing but a nappy and muslin last night. Do you have a room thermometer as the nursery last night was 29degrees here most of the night. It's surprising how babies get hot easy, also I read that they only sweat from their heads until a certain age so could have come from that. X

My 9 week old has 5oz bottles (has done since about 5/6 weeks). Through the day, she will go 2-4 hours between feeds, depending how much she had in each feed. Sometimes she will only have 2.5oz, sometimes she will have the whole 5 (maybe once a day). She will have her last bottle anywhere between 7-10pm then sleep til 5-7am.
Basically, there is no right or wrong answer. My baby doesn't necessarily follow any pattern on how much milk she takes or when. I'd echo what someone else said tho and offer more straight away if she still appears hungry. Then maybe make an extra oz or two for the next feed. It's so hard to get right, but you'll soon figure out what works best for you.
Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi ladies

Thanks for your replies.

There were no feeding issues. My supply isn't so good with breast feeding atm as I'm going through some issues that has affected my health (it's all in the May / June babies thread). I think it could have been sweat as there was no milk trail round her neck.

Not sure on temperature of room as we are sleeping downstairs atm and she was only in a short sleeved vest. I gave her 5oz around 9:30 and just topped her up with 3oz more (2 hrs later) as she been unsettled. It's probably trial and error till I get things right for her which I don't mind doing as I can't move or do stuff while I'm immobile.

Many thanks again for your replies.

F.

If you're having to top her up a couple of hours later, try her on 7 or 8oz in a sitting as she's needing more than 5oz. You can't overfeed if you follow their cues :)

My baby has formula at night and has 4oz which is what it says on the tin. I would try and give her a bigger bottle in one sitting xx

Are you kidding?!!! You absolutely CAN overfeed a bottlefed baby giving 7 or 8oz in one go.

They can't control the flow well so milk goes in their mouth and all they can do is swallow.

A 1 month old baby's stomach is the size of their fist, it can hold up to 5oz at a time.
Trying to get 7oz into them can stretch their stomach and lead to a lifetime of over eating.

All babies breast or bottle fed should be fed little and often. Offering 4 or 5 oz every 2 to 3 hours is much better for them than giving 7 or 8oz bottles in the hope they'll go 5 or 6+ hours between feeds.

Also, milk is digested in about 2hrs which is why babies want feeding after 2 hours. Filling their stomach more won't guarantee they'll go longer between feeds.
My aunt's foster baby still gets 5 to 6oz every 2 to 3 hours in the daytime and he's 5 months old.
My friend's formula fed baby had a bottle every 2hrs even at 6m+!

http://austinbabyguru.com/paced-bottle-feeding/

http://www.kidspot.com.au/baby/feeding/bottle-feeding/the-dangers-of-overfeeding-your-bottle-fed-baby

http://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/how-much-formula-does-your-baby-need

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-much-formula-your-baby-needs_9136.bc

Attachments

• 3107e1c00ff221897cd4e415b2db5ceb.jpg
    3107e1c00ff221897cd4e415b2db5ceb.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Babies stomachs cannot stretch, that's why they throw up any excess. If you follow the baby's cue then no, you cannot overfeed. If you are forcing milk onto the baby when they are clearly finished then yes, that is overfeeding. If you stop feeding then they give the indication that they're full then you cannot overfeed them.

Thanks ladies.

She's taking approximately 4/5 oz I'm making up 6oz and just leaving her take what she wants and discard the rest.

I got another question now... Is it normal for her not have have had a poo since changing? She's never had big one they've been more like wet fart's (sorry) but I've not seen anything in her nappy for two days now. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort either.

Thanks.
F.

Belle didn't go for a few days after switching to formula, but I wouldn't say it's normal as she's been on all sorts of meds since to try and get her pooing properly.
Not much help to you I'm afraid, it can take a day or two to adjust, but maybe give your hv or gp a call if she's not gone by tomorrow?
Hope you're doing ok. Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Formula babies poo less then breastfed but not sure how often. I'm sure iv read it's normal to go every other day when fed formula as it's harder for them to digest. X

Hi, I asked me about poo frequency and formula babies can go up to a week without pooing, but every baby is different. I would keep an eye on it but if she's not in pain or uncomfortable I. Don't think you should worry too much, if you are still worried then ring your Hv. I also agree with other posts, i was told by midwife, Hv and paediatrician that it's really hard to over feed a baby regardless of breast or bottle, so long as you respect their cues. It took me a couple of weeks to work out my lg's patterns once I switched to formula and you'll work out roughly how much to offer on feeds. Babies are like us, sometimes hungrier at different points of the day. My lg has pretty much most her food between 9am - 7pm and sleeps a decent stretch at night. I was also told to look at her intake throughout the whole day and she should be having between 150-200ml per kg of body weight per 24 hour period. X

Hi hun,

I read about what happened on the other thread. What a horrible time you're having at the moment. I hope you're managing okay!

Little and often is definitely the best way rather than a very large feed at a time. I'd try 4oz and if she's wanting more within 2 hours then up her to 5oz. I wouldn't offer a lot more than this right now especially as she's just started on formula so it'll be heavier on her tummy. Try and keep a note of how much she's having throughout the day, she may have a bit more at some feeds but less at others, keeping an overall total is best. Formula fed babies will often go a bit longer over night so their volumes will balance out. Around 7 feeds of 4-5oz over the day should be plenty for her age/weight (I'm guessing she's about 12lb from your last weight update, which works out around 150-200mls/kg/day which is a healthy range). If you find she's looking for a lot more than this I'd speak to your health visitor. I don't advise any hungry baby milks though! With the dripping milk, what bottles and teats are you using? Is it a fast flow?

Formula fed babies can go a bit longer between pooing, if she's showing no signs of pain, firm tummy or drawing her knees up id give her a few days. In the mean time if you're able try some warm baths and massage/leg cycling to keep everything mobile.

I'm a children's nurse and work in a gastrointestinal ward so very used to feeding issues in babies. Hope you're okay xx

Last edited:
Hi ladies,

Thanks again for your replies.

She's been to the loo so All is well and good and fingers crossed it was just the transition of milk that delayed her going. We are now having the proper type of the chicken Korma look instated of little and almost every nappy change that I have been having.

I'm still making up 6oz bottles and leaving her take what she wants. Which is mostly around the 4oz but sometimes she is looking for a bit extra a little while later so I will give her the rest if it is within the 2 hour period of making the bottle. I am feeding her every 3 hours give or take a little this depends of if she is sleeping or not.

Her last weight was 12lb 10oz Last week. HV didn't weigh her this week due to me breaking down in front of her and sorting me out became her priority. But she will be weighed next Wednesday instead. I'm using Tommee Tippee colic bottles with size 1 teats. Baby doesn't have colic but I thought I'd go straight for these bottles as my first born had it and it was horrific while we were trying to resolve the issue. So far so good and I have my fingers crossed.

Many thanks for you replies again ladies.
F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back