Formula feeding - hospital bag

Discussion in 'Labour & Birth' started by Rachel1509, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Rachel1509

Rachel1509 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be formula feeding, but unsure whether I need to pack some in my hospital bag? Or do the hospital provide milk while you're in there?

2. Lulabell

Lulabell Well-Known Member

I plan to breast feed but have bought some cartons just incase. But was then told by my friend who had her baby where I'm to have mine that you don't need to bring it as hosp provides it. Best to check with where you're going I guess as each place seems to differ.xx

3. pinkyprincess

pinkyprincess Well-Known Member

My hospital provided cow and gate or aptimal for babies :)

4. Zoeox

Zoeox Well-Known Member

I think all hospitals are different, I have brought some just incase but going to check with the hospital anyway x

5. TashaWink

TashaWink Well-Known Member

Check with your hospital my hospital doesn't provide milk.

6. Rachel1509

My hospital provides milk. I asked someone I know who recently gave birth there and she said they gave her a choice of 3 milks and it was those in the ready made containers with the teats.

Just to be prepared though, I think I'll take a few cartons with me. If they're not needed then no loss, I can take them home and use them another time :D

Thanks ladies!

7. Mrs.s

Mrs.s Well-Known Member

The hospital where I had LO didn't provide milk as they encourage breast feeding so if you really don't want to breast feed then bring your own milk!

8. kerry5a

kerry5a Well-Known Member

The hospital I'm going to only give you the first feed, I have sma pre made sterile bottles to take as that's what I'll use at home X

9. mummy2b73

mummy2b73 Well-Known Member

My hospital doesn't provide anything according to my sil (who had her LO not long ago) you are lucky if they give you cotton wool ..... I intend to breast feed or at least try but I plan to take a couple of small bottles and cartons of milk just in case.......my sil says the hospital are really against bottle feeding but stick to your guns if that's what you choose to do. She has also said to take my own baby blankets as they don't have enough ! I am still confused about sterilizing things while in the hospital nobody tells you anything.

#9 mummy2b73, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  10. Samsgirl

Samsgirl Well-Known Member

do you not have hospital tours? we get to go round the maternity and labour wards here and its a 3 hour tour. they go into everything with you.....what they provide, where everything is....what u need to bring...everything

i must admit the ante natal services here have been amazing.....so many classes and so far have paid for nothing.....got tons of scan photos at each of my 6 scans and not had to pay anything...... :) x

11. Rachel1509

Nope, lady at antenatal class said they stopped doing the tours a few years back because of the inconvenience it brings to everyone in the hospital, and also not been able to fit groups of people in lifts etc to show them around.

Aww I want to come to your hospital - sounds great!

12. hellywelly

hellywelly Well-Known Member

Samsgirl your hospital sounds fab. You can't do tours round ours, you have to watch a Youtube video! Also it's £4 a photo at scans.