formula feeding for beginners!

trixipaws

Reaction score
eeeeeeeeeeeeeek just been reading some threads in "ask a mum" about formula feeding and it sounds so confusing!
im moving millie onto it soon, she is 6 months old and eats 3 small meals a day too but currently still has lots of BF at no set times.

im a complete beginner when it comes to formula and my mum and my girl friends are all BFers too so none can teach me!

so i need to kno everything- how many bottles do i need, how do i make it, how is it stored, how do i kno its right temp, how much to give, and anything else iv missed that i need to kno.

thanx! :?

i would say 3 bottles a day with as much formula in as you think your lo needs i used to give Willow 7ozs, i have found the best way for me is to make up the days bottles the night before with water and store in a cupboard and then add the powder just before the feed and use within 1 hour, i have alwys given Willow her milk at room temp so i never had to heat it up.

its all trial and error and i had a few mishaps but i have found this is the best way for me, try not to worry about it to much as long as you put the right amount of powder in for the amount of ozs then there will be no problem.

also you dont have to use a follow on milk if you dont want to i didnt straight away.

hope this helps and sorry if i have confused you at all.

Hi Trixi :D

As Millie is a breasfed baby, you could try these bottles http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 1&mcb=core

I am using them by myself. They suppose to imitate a breastflow. I had problems with bf + bottlefeeding Daniel, becourse he started to refuse boob, but since we started to use these bottles I had no problems feeding him both ways.

Well, you can survive with 3 bottles, if you are bf as well. If you are planning just bottlefeed, 6 would be easier. You can start with 3 anyways.

With formula it is easy: as many oz of water as many scoops you have to add. (6oz water = 6 scoops of formula)

With water: I just put cooled boiled water in a bottle, and add up some of the hot boiled, so the formula is warm. And then add up formula.

You can check the temperature buy testing it on your wrist. If it is not hot, it is fine. (What i sometimes do, I just have a sip of water I am going to give Daniel, before I put formula in it. The water should be warm, but not hot).

You have to dispose all of the rest of the feed whan you are finished, and not to make formula in advance.

You will know whan Millie had enought, when she will stop eating. She will just refuse the teat.

Hope this helps :hug: :hug: :hug:

where do i buy scoops and are there different sizes? or do u get one free with a tub of formula?

you get a scoop with each tub of formula :)

I would think you'd struggle to get six bottles down her as you're feeding her three meals as well.

You'll pick it up from her. You'll know when she wants milk and when she doesn't.

Also you can give the milk at room temperature. That tends to make life much easier as well, as you can just make a bottle and give it straight away.

when willow went on to 3 meals a day i cut her bottles down to 3 a day with 7ozs in each also i think formula is more filling then breast milk
now she only has 2 a day with 8 ozs in each.

Matilda is currently on 3 six and 1/2 oz bottles a day plus 3 meals a day and water with every meal and in between if she wants it. she is on the 2nd stage milk (she is on a brand called Milupa and is on 'Milupa 2' since I started solids with her.), I am currently slowly trying to stop the mid afternoon bottle. as the others say it's all trial and error and she'll soon let you know if she's still hungry. good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back