Formula feeding confusion!

Soph_UK

Reaction score
Hi all

I am mainly feeding my baby expressed breast milk from a bottle as he won't latch but I am having to use formula too as not producing enough.

I am really confused about the rules for cooling a kettle for no longer than 30 minutes. How long do you actually need to cool it down for? It says no longer than 30 minutes but does that mean 20 or 25 minutes? Or how long exactly?

Also why do I need to let the water cool down. Why can't I just make the bottle with boiling water then cool if under the tap or in a jug of cold water? Help, I don't understand.

I don't want to buy a perfect prep machine at the moment as I am 95% breastfeeding so I don't think it is worth the investment.

I don't think it matters aslong as it's within the 30 mins as they say after a certain temp it doesn't kill bacteria... I only waiting a couple of mins so it weren't too hot made bottle and cooled in cold water and used a flask whilst out and about xx

We found with Nutriprem 2 that if we used the boiling water too early, the formula got massive lumps in it. This wasn't the case with the normal C&G formula, which can pretty much be made straight away (although if you shake a bottle with boiling water, it tends to try to explode everywhere). In the end, we used to leave it about 5 mins or so between boiling and making the formula.

i boil the kettle, let it stand for 15 minutes, then put it in a decanter and that lasts for up to 6 hours. you can just do it with boiling water but as said above when you shake it it explodes. Aslong as you dont leave it longer than half an hour as it needs to be hot enough (70c) to sterilise the powder xx

I would boil the kettle and fill up sterilised bottles to about 5oz. I'd leave this with the lids on on the side until I needed them. Then I'd top then up with 2 to 3 oz of boiling water and it was the perfect temperature.
If we were going out, or at night, I'd fill up a flask with boiling water to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back