For those using Hipp milk.........

Lynds77

Reaction score
i asked them if its safe to let the water cool to 40-50 degrees to make a feed. Here is their reply..

Thank you for your e.mail concerning the temperature of water used to mix our new Combiotic formula milks.

We can understand your concerns about the preparation instructions for the new milks being different from the Department of Health recommendations, but we hope we can reassure you that the new HiPP Combiotic milks are safe when prepared according to our instructions.

The main reason for adding the "friendly bacteria" to the new HiPP powdered formulas is that it brings them another step closer to the nutritional composition of breastmilk. "Friendly bacteria" in breastmilk are thought to place a role in the development of a baby's immune system and help protect them against infections.

We went to the Department of Health and Food Standards Agency and discussed this issue with them before we launched the product in the UK. They said that although their guidance remains that a water temperature of 70 degrees C or above should be used when preparing powdered formula feeds, they acknowledged that for some formulas this might not be possible as this high water temperature will kill the probiotic bacteria. In these cases they state that 'the onus is on a manufacturer to place safe food on the market and providing appropriate, safe preparation and handling instructions should be part of this'.

At HiPP we believe that we have sufficient documentation to support preparation of our formulas at the lower temperature of 40-50 degrees C and that when prepared at this lower temperature according to our instructions and fed to the baby immediately the milk is safe. We do extensive microbiological testing of our products at each stage of production and the risk of bacterial contamination of our formulas is minimised through careful production measures. We give clear preparation and handling instructions on the packaging to help ensure the products are used correctly by our users.

At the same time, there have been significant improvements in the production processes used by HiPP to improve the microbiological safety of formulas, and our probiotic formulas are subject to a much higher level of safety testing than is required by law.

As further reassurance, it is worth mentioning that these milks have been used throughout Europe for several years now without problems.

We hope this has reassured you of the safety of our Combiotic milks.

I've only just seen this new bit of the forum!

Anyhoo, I've seen that answer before - but personally I'd rather kill all of the bacteria than risk having baba drink some of the bad stuff. I prepare mine the 70 degrees or more way :)

I always made Amelie's milk with 40 degrees (not hipp) as that's what the package was saying. She didn't have an upset tummy a single day :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back