For those ladies planning to breast feed....

dairygirl

Reaction score
Just wondering if you were going to buy bottles, steriliser and milk formula beforehand just in case there is a problem and breast feeding is not possible? I am planning to breast feed my little one when the time comes but im unsure wether to buy all the items associated with bottle feeding at this stage in case they are not needed and the money can be put towards somthing else! What are your thoughts? X

I have bought 4 bottles and a microwave steriliser. I want to have the option to express anyway, so I obviously need bottles for that!

I've also bought some of the made up SMA formula just in case.

I'm going to try and breast feed up I also bought a steriliser set incase that doesn't work out! Also good if your going out and need to express! Also bought a box of pre made bottles to take to hospital just incase x

i breast fed both kids before and plan to bf this time. i have bought steraliser breast pump and newborn bottle starter set. got it all from avent...from amazon for very reasonalble price. that is prob the minimum you need to get started and obv u can use if you need to change to formula. i did not buy formula as sometimes it can be difficult breast feeding and having formula in the house may serve to be the tipping point....i had some first time round and constantly thought about just using it...but i didnt but it was hard. second time i did not buy formula but i live 5 mins from a 24hr asda so knew if i was desperate i could go there...luckily did not need to. good luck, breastfeeding is one of the most rewarding things you can do xxx

Thanks for your input - yeah think I will buy a bundle of bottle feeding stuff just in case - I really want to be organised! I also like the idea of expressing to let hubby feed baby too at a later date X

I would buy steriliser and couple of bottles as you can use then for EBM but wouldnt get formula. Breastfeeding is difficult in the beginning and having formula will be very tempting

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

We had two bottles, a microwave sterliser and a breast pump (just a cheapy manual one)

As Knopk says don't buy any formula though, it could just become too tempting if you are having a tough moment

xxxxxx

I have breast pump and steriliser and a couple of bottles for expressing as I'd like hubby to feed too at some point but I'm not buying formula unless we need it hope this helps I figure now you can buy it in 24hr supermarkets and even on a Sunday up till midnight from Tesco express garages if we need it I can always have hubby go buy some where as if I buy it a its waste of money if not used and b it might tempt me to give in too soon? X

Same as the others really, I've got breast pump, steriliser and some bottles as OH would like me to express occasionally so he can feed LO from time to time. But I haven't bought formula, as the others have said it can be too tempting when you know it's sitting in the cupboard, I bought a tub 'just in case' when having DS and I very nearly used it, I don't want that temptation this time round! Xxx

I planned on breast feeding and I did whilst in hospital for 24 hours, but my son had tongue tie & nipple fed for the whole time, chewed up nipples was an understatement! - no one at the hospital picked it up though, luckily my mw did!

Luckily I had some carton milk at home and Oskar was on expressed milk 3x a day and the rest formula for two weeks till my milk dried up.

Now he's on the bottle and thriving!

I'd get one just in case xxxx

I have bought a full sterilising kit with everything in it like bottles etc and I also bought an electric breast pump but tbh I kinda wish I hadn't went full steam ahead and just bought a steriliser with a few bottles as I am hoping to breast feed and at my breast feeding class the other day the mw told us that u shouldn't express unless u absolutely have to as the tit on a bottle is totally different to ur nipple and the baby can get a bit too used to a bottle and also the action of baby sucking on ur breast produces more milk as it releases hormones whereas u can notice ur milk starts to dry up if u express I didn't know this til the other day I'm just hoping baby plays the game and I can get it right x

I am not buying anything because I plan to just breastfeed for the first few weeks before I attempt to express. I know it's a bit risky but my mum keeps saying to me that if I do find I need anything in an emergency after the birth I have plenty of people around me that can go and get things for me.

I got given some bottles and a steriliser by my sil and bought a, se
xcond hand electric pump. But also now found out expressing isn't really recommended or that easy, especially at first. We shall see. I certainly won't very get formula. If we're desperate there's shops nearby. Will definitely persevere with bf as it's very important to me. Obviously if a medical condition with me or baby occurs then I'd have to bottle feed, fairly rare though. And you could express breast milk and feed if you had to, not easy though. Have met women who've done it though.

I'm in the bottles/equipment but not formula camp as well!

Its hard at the beginning and having formula in the house can de rail your efforts. Most people live reasonable close to 24hr supermarkets these days so its not too hard to go out and pick up a carton.

That said my SIL bought in formula (I did for when I stayed at mum and dads and was ill!). As their nearest 24hr place was 45mins away. But at home we are 10mins at most so really no need.

Trust your body!!!!

We had everything and thanks God we did.
She was getting lethargic and no wet diapers so formula was a must.
Yes the store was close enough for my oh to be there and back in 10 min but 10 min of listening to your newborn screaming the house down from the top of her lungs, me in tears as I could literally feel her hunger pain while I couldn't latch her...thanks God we had formula lol... 2 min waiting for my oh to make the milk was more than enough to Convince me that having formula at gone and bottles was the best thing ever...

I'm planning on breast but going to take ready sterilised bottles with me. Not sure how many though. X

Hi,
I will be breastfeeding.
No, I'll not be buying any bottles or other equipment.

I bought a couple for my daughter in order to express and feed breastmilk if I had the odd night out. She wasn't fussed on the bottle. And I found it such a faff having to wash and sterilise, etc. So much work compared to mouth on boob, haha. So nope, I don't intend on using bottles at all this time around.

I would like to bf but have bought bottles and steriliser just incase as I don't want to put too much pressure on myself! I will not be buyin formula tho will just get some if necessary at time x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tchotchke
Back