FOOKING HELL...MIGRAINES.HAD MY BLOOD TESTS BACK:( pg2

rhian85

Reaction score
i usualy get them a few times year and when i do i get the aura (blind spots, then zig zags,) followed by vomiting/nausea and the fantastily lovely headache which is a killer. it can take 3-4 day for me to recovery fully.
been on different tablets from GP to get rid of them but no joy yet.

however ive been having one every week the last 3 weeks again lasting 3 days. GP doing blood tests to check all hormone/thyroid/glucose levels to make sure an imblance isnt causing it. and im going to try having medication dily to stop them.

do any of u suffer? how often and what cures it ? any home help tips to give me ?

Has your diet changed?

I have had a few in my time, nothing for years thank god, but I heard things like cheese and pizza can cause them, all that grease!

I'm afraid this probably won't be much use but my DH has frequent migraines and wakes up with a headache on the days that he doesn't. Things that work for him include (sorry if they're a bit blatant):

* Minimising stress.
* Getting up at the same time each day (lie-ins make it worse)
* Taking a painkiller asap in the morning when bad so it doesn't develop.

The doctors have been sod all use - they reckon he had a virus back in his youth and that's what's caused this :wall:

Also meant to say that I sympathise, I really do.

I get them very rarely but I know how bl**dy awful they can be :hug:

thanks , urchin i havent changed diet at all and neva eat cheese or pizza. there orried things arent they migraine.

i get them 2 or 3 times a week with vomitting each time i tried all the medication but nothing helps me.

my tips would be if it's possible when you get one lie down in a dark room.
get a water tight bag like a freezer bag, fill it with ice and wrap a tea towell around it keep it on your forehead or the back of your neck whatever feels better.
get a scalf(sp) or something similar and tie it quite tightly around your head (something to do with blood flow)
take 2 anadin or if you can get your docs to prescribe you co-dydramol it really helps if you take it when you first start to feel one coming on.
if you do vomit when you have done drink lots of water but slowly or it could come back up again and after an hour or so try to eat something as this helps your body to make itself better.

i hope they start to get better for you soon! i know how they feel and i really sympathise :hug:

ohh yeah i suffer auras too, mine are brought on by hormonal changes, get one every month few days before AF is due :wall:

But since being pregnanct my hormones are again different so getting them with avengence now :(

Also dr said i cant take my migraine pills, but hes prescribed me paracetamol and says i can have 1000mg at a time.

I know how your feeling, mirgaines are shit :hug:

Me my mum and my sister all get migraines. My mum takes beta blockers to prevent them, they don't work, and tablets for when she feels one coming on. I can't think what they are called but I know they are expensive for the doctors to prescribe. My sister is on the mini-pill which helps her but she just takes painkillers and goes to bed with a cold eye mask. With me I just take paracetamol because I'm on other medication and I already take beta blockers. I get about 2 migraines a month. I've recently gone onto a new pill, cilest, and my migraines are worse so I'm going to go back to the doctors.

Last summer we went to the New Forest and I had the worst migraine I've ever had. I thought I was dying and had no paracetamol!! I was throwing up (which don't you find relieves the pain for a while?) I couldn't lift my arms, I was passing out, it was hell.

I also get zig zags and flashing lights. My mum told me apparently when you have a migraine your stomach stops working so you need to take tablets (whatever you take) as soon as you feel it coming on.

Sorry this is an essay but migraines are my life!!!!

Like others have said, cheese, greasy food, lack of sleep, stress, chocolate, coffee, not eating regular meals, eating sweet things on an empty stomach. They all can cause migraine.

Group hug I say :hug:

I'll speak to my mum later and ask her what her tablets are called.

ooo just remembered a while ago I saw a new thing advertised called a migra-cap. I dont know anyone thats tried it, its one of them things you see and thing oh I must look that up but never do!

Lou :)

lou said:
Like others have said, cheese, greasy food, lack of sleep, stress, chocolate, coffee, not eating regular meals, eating sweet things on an empty stomach. They all can cause migraine.

:shock: ive never had a migraine but after reading that, im suprised i don't constantly have them!! :oops:

Kimbo said:
lou said:

:shock: ive never had a migraine but after reading that, im suprised i don't constantly have them!! :oops:

:rotfl:

Migraines always remind me of flu a bit.

When some people have a cold they are all "OOh I've got the flu" then one day they get the flu and they understand that really what they had before was a minor case of the sniffles.

Some people get a headache and come to work "Oh I've got such a bad migraine today."
Grrr If you really had a migraine you'd be at home lying on the bed with all the lights off!!!

Sorry random! :lol:

I get them all the time too! Less often as i get older, i missed a lot of primary school actually. My doctor put me on Pizotifen which you take one a day, its not a painkiller though its a preventative medication

Urchin said:

When some people have a cold they are all "OOh I've got the flu" then one day they get the flu and they understand that really what they had before was a minor case of the sniffles.

Some people get a headache and come to work "Oh I've got such a bad migraine today."
Grrr If you really had a migraine you'd be at home lying on the bed with all the lights off!!!

Thats so true! I must say though when i've had nobody to look after Isaac I've had to struggle through the day before now with a migraine. I had to lay on Isaac's bed while he played with the toys in his bedroom and I managed to feed and change him still. (superwoman)!! I always remember when we were little and my mum had a migraine. My dad can't cook so we would have MacDonalds and we could stay in our pj's all day and watch loads of tv. ACE! Now my mum and dad live alone my poor dad has to eat beans on toast when my mum is ill lol oh and he has just mastered boiled eggs and toast!

Urchin said:

agree totally...a bad headache is totally different to a full blown migraine.
- for the group hug - :hug: :hug: :hug:

im going for my thyroid/glucose/hormone blood test monday morning and i get the results friday so ill update when i get back from docs on friday next week.

the bloods are being done because i dont have any main triggers in my diet and because they are coming weekly and very sever. so will be intresting to see what my bloods say next week.

great tips for helping ease them so far - keep thenm coming :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

lou said:
Thats so true! I must say though when i've had nobody to look after Isaac I've had to struggle through the day before now with a migraine. I had to lay on Isaac's bed while he played with the toys in his bedroom and I managed to feed and change him still. (superwoman)!! I always remember when we were little and my mum had a migraine. My dad can't cook so we would have MacDonalds and we could stay in our pj's all day and watch loads of tv. ACE! Now my mum and dad live alone my poor dad has to eat beans on toast when my mum is ill lol oh and he has just mastered boiled eggs and toast!

i know how u feel, when i had my migraine last week i could hardly focus to change christopher , let alone get the spoon in his mouth to feed him at the same time as trying not to throw up :rotfl: its funny now but at the time i just wanted to go to bed and die :rotfl: ohhh id even put his top on inside out :rotfl:

My little sister who gets migraine was diagnosed with a thyroid problem, can't remember if its over or under active? She was getting more migraines but all her symptoms were the same as someone suffering from anxiety. Her main symptom though was extreme lethargy. she would have to be sent home from work because she felt so tired all the time. My aunt has thyroid problems and my nan. Its in the family but I've had mine checked and its fine. I think my migraines are hormonal because I get them the same time every month. At the beginning and end of my period. And of course if I trigger one with coffee etc.

Giving birth gave me a wicked migraine. I couldn't even talk! You must be knackered having them twice a week! They really drain you.

Urchin said:

Sooo true!!

As a fellow migraine sufferer, the only cure Ive ever found is just a few glasses of cool water, followed by a lie down and possibly a sleep... then I just wait it out. Watching the zig zag lines go across my vision from left to right.. then when it disappears out of my right eyes vision, its gone...

but always left with a horrible nausea and dull headache for rest of day.

Sympathise totally xxx

:hug: :hug: .... for all of you sufferers. Thankfully, it's not something that I have experienced. It must be dreadful for you :(

I get them too. Doc gave me beta-blockers & Co-Codamol but they didn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back