Food you've never heard of??

Kimbo

Reaction score
if i say to someone, bacon "teacake", or cheese teacake, they think im weird cos a teacake to them is like a currant teacake or whatever you class teacakes as!
but up here we call these teacakes -
12_sliced_sandwich_rolls.jpg

also, apparently you can't get chips and gravy down south?? :think:

and, most of you on here don't know what a butter pie is!! lol

anyone else got any weird ones??
can u tell i'm bored??? :rotfl:

Who knows what scrumps are? They are also called scraps and crispy bits elsewhere but are scrumps here!

Why when I glanced at that picture you posted did I at first glance read the brand as 'Wartbottoms'? :rotfl:

When we moved here from New Zealand as a kid nobody understood me when I talked about Ice blocks as that is what an ice lolly is out there and crisps are chips. :D

Kimbo said:
if i say to someone, bacon "teacake", or cheese teacake, they think im weird cos a teacake to them is like a currant teacake or whatever you class teacakes as!

I'd call them Breadcakes.

I once went to a chip shop somewhere and asked for Patty and chips and they didn't know what a Patty was? Apparently they are called Fish Fritters in other places.

I call them rolls or baps... I would call crusty rolls cobs. But then I used to work in a bakery and that's what the labels said.

Id call Kims teacakes Rolls or Baps or a Butty if it got chips in it :D

These are the only teacakes I know.... :think:

TeaCakes.jpg

Ooo and you can deffo get chips and gravy down south!! I love them! Whats Butter Pie then Kimbo?

x

No kimbo u cant get chips and gravy down here in cornwall if i have asked for it in the past i get a weird look

Also down here if i mention oatcakes(staffordshire ones im originally from crewe) i also get a strange look..its nice when my nanna comes down as she brings a stash of them along with proper cheshire cheese!!!

also down here they call cakes buns so when i first moved down here they also thoguht it was weird that i call baps buns!

and they call batter bits u get from a chippy screed!!!!!

Strange cornish people!

also, apparently you can't get chips and gravy down south??

What I wouldn't give for a decent chippy selling gravy and chips round here! And London is even worse - cuisine from all over the world, but no gravy and chips to be had anywhere.

I would also call those things 'breadcakes' - I'm from Hull originally too :wink: Teacakes definitely have currants in. Lived in Liverpool for a bit too - of course you all know what lob scouse is.

mayday said:
I would also call those things 'breadcakes' - I'm from Hull originally too :wink: Teacakes definitely have currants in. Lived in Liverpool for a bit too - of course you all know what lob scouse is.

Calling them Breadcakes seems to be a Hull thing. I know some places call them Baps but that means something else to me.

Also I know it's not food but we call the alley at the back of a house a Ten Foot and other places call it a Ginnel(sp) does anyone else call it this?

Kimbo said:

I call these cobs or rolls.

Um i am rubbish cant think of anything to add to the list, i definately dont know what a butter pie is tho :?

How strange I was only having the bread roll conversation here at work a few minutes ago- I work in Leamington and it has a brand new posh chip shop where the chips are cooked in an old fashioned way with beef dripping (they are absolutely deeeeeelish!!! but that's besides the point)

I am from Coventry and we have always known baps/breadcakes/etc as Batches. I've never thought it strange at all! When I was at Uni in Manchester I had to point at what I wanted as they thought I wanted huge number of something i.e a batch, they were called barmcakes there, they will always be batches to me though being a Coventry Kid.

Now Patties from Hull-yummmmm- is another that I have only ever heard or eaten whilst I was there, My ex-boyfriend was a Hullensyian (sp?) and all he ever raved about was the patties, fish and chips. He was absolutely right about the patties and fish but - sorry to offend anyone from Hull- I never rated the chips too greasy for me. Still I loved visiting Hull and miss it lots now!

I love funny food names, it fascinates me for some reason!

xcxcxcxcxcxcxcxcxc

Emma58 said:
mayday said:

Calling them Breadcakes seems to be a Hull thing. I know some places call them Baps but that means something else to me.

Also I know it's not food but we call the alley at the back of a house a Ten Foot and other places call it a Ginnel(sp) does anyone else call it this?

Yes! A tenfoot! Ex did always refer to what we always called a jetty, as a tenfoot! used to make him sound all old fashioned! Ahh.

we call them breadcakes but the next town from us, Barnsley, they call them teacakes - its so funny when we hear them say taht coz we call teacakes them with currents in, its all confusing!! haha

They are buns to me Kim :D

I like them with cheese savoury in. When our friends come up from the midlands I always have to make it. They'd never heard of it before but it's just grated cheese, onion and carrot mixed up with mayo and salad cream.
butterpie.jpg

This is a butter pie...I asked Kim ages ago though so I guess thats cheating. I think she said they are butter and mashed potato inside... :think:

I'm from Warwickshire and we call those rolls batches - confused no end of people when I was at uni in Wales! Here in Leicester they're called cobs. Don't know about chips n gravy down south but they do them here and in wales :D

I'd call them baps.

None of my cousins in England know what the following are:

Colcannon
Potato bread(mmmmm)
Pandy
Poitoin
Blood pudding

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads