Food Poisoning

Bee7

Reaction score
I'm guessing most people will be asleep now since its nearly 2am. I was, but have just been woken up with chronic stomach pains and have had really bad, sudden diarrhoea and sickness. It's really unlike me to be sick, so i'm pretty worried. I had a chinese takeaway tonight and i'm wondering if its food poisoning from that....

I've rang up NHS direct and my local hospital. Both of which said to see how i am tomorrow, and basically told me i'm not allowed to go to hospital if i have vomitting/diarrhoea due to risk of infection. Apparently food poisoning usually just upsets the mother and doesn't affect baby. Going to see how i am tomorrow but that was seriously scary and i really feel like i need some reassurance that he's OK :S anyone else had anything similar. Feel very upset x

It could well be the take away hunny. Keep your fluids up as much as you can, ice cubes or tiny sips of water often will help. Keep your tummy warm with a blanket to help with any bowel cramps without getting too hot cos you don't want to dehydrate.

Food poisoning normally hits between 4 and 12 hours from eating. Did you have prawns? The only time I've had food poisoning with take aways is when they've had prawns in them. Keep some of the food in the fridge if there's any left over just in case the hospital decides they want to test it.

Have they given you a time limit for it to settle down? Hope you feel better soon :hug: xxxxxxxx

I had food poisoning on bonfire night from a burger! The same as you, I woke up early hours of the morning with pain. I was 13 weeks and so worried as I just had my 12 week scan a few days before. But everything was fine, drink plenty of water and rest. Hope you are feeling a bit better xx

I had food poisoning when I was about 8 weeks pregnant. I woke in the middle of the night with excruciating stomach pains and vomited loads and had diarrhoea. I went to the docs and he confirmed it and told me not to worry about it and it wouldn't affect baby, and it doesn't appear to have. It only lasted 12 hours.

I'm never sick so this was a shock to me. I think your stomach is more sensitive to this kind of thing when pregnant to protect your body from infections which can harm the pregnancy. It's good that the offending pathogen will have been evicted quickly if you had a severe bout.

Keep hydrated and try and eat something bland.

Hope you feel better soon x

Thank you ladies, i feel a lot better this morning. I've phoned the midwife and they said that it shouldn't affect baby. I think because we hear so much about things we can't eat (prawns, cheeses etc) because they may harm baby, it seems a bit odd when they then say food poisoning wouldn't affect anything?! I didn't have prawns or anything out of the ordinary.

Anyway fingers crossed i'm ok. Just hope baby starts wriggling soon and gives me some reassurance xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back