Folic acid

sueh

Reaction score
I'm 6 weeks pg, are you still meant to take folic acid for the first 12 weeks :think: , its been 4 years, so i'm pretty out of date?

Also, bit confused on the foods you are supposed to avoid?, any ideas

Thanks Sue

This site is great :)

Hi Sue,
Its still the 12 weeks for the folic acid :D
From memory, the foods to avoid are,
raw shellfish,
McFlurrys :evil:
Homemade mayo (cause of the raw egg whites)
Soft cheeses
and im not sure what else. Its the mcflurrys that really got my goat :evil: :lol:

Thanks

McFlurrys, thats sooooo wrong, good job you told me, i've got a thing for ice cream aswell :lol:

Last pregnancy it was golden syrup on Hovis extra thick bread (crust), no wonder i put on 4 stone, nightmare, i looked like a moomin afterwards :lol:

Thanks again, Suex

Just wondering why you not allowed Mc Flurrys?? and is it just Mc Flurrys or ice cream in general?

Hi,

Foods to avoid, are soft cheeses such as brie, camenbert, you should'nt eat raw or undercooked meat, shellfish undercooked eggs or any pate.....and as for the folic acid, i'm still taking mine!

Hope that helps

Amy xx

Dreamer said:
Just wondering why you not allowed Mc Flurrys?? and is it just Mc Flurrys or ice cream in general?

It's any kind of ice-cream that's whipped like that...out of your own freeezer is fine, just not from the ice-cream man etc

It's because it's not kept at a low enough temperature....it doesn't kill the bacteria.

Oh, and peanuts..if you have allergies in the family avoid totally, if not they are ok in SMALL doses! Thats what my HV told me anyway.

Hi Sue,

I took folic acid for the first 12 weeks, you can buy it from your local pharmacy!

I was told to avoid the foods that everyone esle has listed, i was also told to avoid tuna! Cant remember exactly why but she said it was one of the latest!

Kelly

Hi there everyone

If you want a list of foods have a look on the NHS direct site this gives you all of the foods and why.

but this is what i have on my list:

Liver,pates fish liver oil capsules - too much vit A can cause bone deformities.

soft cheeses (brie,camembert,goat cheese, and stilton (ALL blue-vein cheese) can carry bacteria.

chilled or undercooked meats and unpasturised milk or cheese.

undercooked or raw eggs - no homemade mousse or mayo - can cause salmonella.

Peanuts

and YES MR FLIPPING WHIPPY!!!!

Hope this helps

Laura

:shock: I didn't know you weren't allowed whippy ice cream!
I had one of those ice creams from Kentucky the other week.

Oooh, I feel bad now.

Hi all,
yeah you take folic acid for the first 12 weeks .......... im taking mine longer tho and im sure you can get a prescription from the doctors for it and get it for free as you get all your medication (which as been prescribed ) free!! and your dentist too!!! I'm glad ice cream is ok cause i have loads of that.
:D

hi everyone,

this is my first post on this site but i wanted to let you know about a really good website for foods to avoid during pregnancy (well i found it really useful!).
It has a full list of cheeses you can and can't have which was perfect as i was getting in a tizzy about some gruyere hidden in my lunch!

http://www.shef.ac.uk/pregnancy_nutrition/nutrition.php

Oh and i think the tuna thing is about a concern over mercury levels - you're still allowed 2 servings a week though!

Hope this helps

Kate (9+4)

This is going to sound really bad...i listen to some of it..but in summer im going to have a mr whippy ice cream...im not one of them people that listen to stuff like that too much...im sure the risks are there..but at about the same chance of getting run over ....

I guess thats just me...hope i dont sound horrible or like i dont care about my baby...i do more than anything...but personally i feel there is risks in everything...and if i stopped eating or doing everything that had a risk...id be in a padded wall room lol

I quit smoking and drinking when i found out though...i think thats quite good... :)

cheers cas x

Hi Cassi,
I dont think your bad, Im having a sodding mr whippy. I live by the sea side so its hard to escape it. I posted that it was one of the things you were advised against based in what I had read but hey , you cant avoid some things.

Enjoy your mcflurry

Laura. :D

I am over over safe with this pregnancy... no caffine, no hair dye, no peanuts and all the other foods your not allowed...

In my head its only 9 months I am not going to die if i have to give up runny eggs for such a short time!! :)

xxxxxxx

I know what you mean Keely, my last pregnancy i was really cautious as i was paranoid that if i did or ate something i shouldn't and something went wrong i would have really blamed myself - i went on to have a boy weighing 91bs perfect, he had a few probs, nothing major, he had underdeveloped hips where he had to wear a brace to keep his legs wide apart (like a frog), for the first 6 weeks which at the time was heartbreaking and restricting to the clothes he could wear, and he had blocked tear ducts and had to have a small op on his eyes when he was 2.

So i believe you can be over cautious these days, but each to there own, do whatever makes you happy, i'm still a nightmare, ireally need to have my hair coloured (not bleached), does anyone have any ideas if this is okay in the first trimester (i have suffered a mc which makes me more cautious)

Any ideas anyone??

Suexx

Hi Sue

Sorry to hear about your little boy's first few horrible months, bless him... hope he is a happy little fella now.

I have heard if you use herbal dye you can use it at anytime. I have dark purple in my hair and dark brown real hair so I am not too bothered about my roots... I am having my hair cut tomorrow though, not had it dont since last JULY!!! just been lazy and had more important things to spend money on... cant wait!! xxxx

My little man is now very healthy, and gorgeous, thanks for the advice on the hair, spoke to a friend of mine today whos 21 weeks pg and she had her hair dyed yesterday!!

I might go for it i'm getting desperate now.

Suex

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back