Folic acid???????

Lisa J

Reaction score
hey i posted this in 2nd trimester forum but with no luck can any one advise if you are supposed to take them all the way through or just until you are 12 weeks??
thanks
xxxxx

i think its just untill your 12 weeks, thats how long i took them on my pregnanies, best to ask your midwife tho just to make sure

the first 12 weeks is the most important time. You can continue to take all the way through, but the increase in folic acid is needed during the first few weeks to prevent neural tube defects. The spinal column and all the nervous system bits (i believe) are fully developed by 12 weeks, so that's why it's not necessary to take it after (the idea being that it's too late by then anyway to do any good).

I read somewhere recently, or may have been on the news, that you should actually stop taking it b ythe time you get to your third trimester because the increase has been linked to osteoporosis...I can't remember but it's fairly recent that i heard it.

Best thing to do is check with your midwife or GP next time you see them.

xx

You can take folic acid for the whole term of prengnacy if you want to, im still taking mine, my midwife said to use the whole dossage given in the pot. As i didnt start taking them til i was 5 weeks pg!

Hi Lisa,
I bought Pregnacare vitamin supplement. You can get them from Boots and most chemists. They're specially for pregnancy and include folic acid. You can take them throughout your entire pregnancy and also when breastfeeding. I would recommend them.
Good luck!
Lucy

I've been taking 800mcg of folic acid, but some days I forget to take them (not very often and never 2 days in a row). Do you think that this might harm the baby?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back