Folic acid - isn't it too late now though

Aries29

Reaction score
Well I had my very first midwife appointment , it was basically 10 mins giving them my name and address and a wee sample .

I have my actual booking in appointment at 10 weeks next week

So basically midwife advised I should take 5000mcg !!!! folic instead of the normal 400mcg
Basically because I'm overweight so she's contacted my gp to get it prescribed
I'm only just 30 so neural tube defect risk should be low and my last pregnancy was healthy

But the neural tube is closed at 7 weeks according to research I've read so surely taking a higher dose now at past 9 weeks is not going to make a huge difference

And it makes me feel like poop , horrid stomach cramps etc . However she insists I take it :-(

Feeling deflated :-(

Is it Almus in a blue box? I would speak to the doctor to see if there is an alternative which might make you feel a little better.

I take that one, only because I actively asked my doctor if I should be and indeed I should. I am not pregnant yet but hoping I will be soon, I hope you get it sorted

I have a BMI of 32 nobody has mentioned to me about taking a higher dose

I was perscribed a high dose. The doc never mentioned it so Im not sure if it was a mistake. I saw a different MW after and she said to split the tablets as I didnt need that much. I seem to remember her saying to take the folic acid until about 11 weeks just to be on the safe side.

^^^^^^^^ what Phoenix said..... I have no idea of there is any point taking a high dosage once the neural tube is closed, but try folate rather than folic acid if you do want to follow their advice & FA make you feel rubbish.

Last edited:
I take the higher dose due to my BMI being 30.8. I asked my consultant whether I can stop taking my vitamins at 12 weeks (I probably won't stop anyways). I was advised that it's best to take them up to 20 weeks.

I have a BMI of 32 nobody has mentioned to me about taking a higher dose

My midwife said anyone with a bmi over 30 should be on a higher dose but she didn't say why :-/

But basically my bmi is over 30

Mine is over 30 and I haven't been told to take the higher dose. Strange how much it differs x

Is folate available in stores though ? Holland and Barrett maybe ?
Folic acid makes me really ill and gives the most horrific stomach cramps .
I bought pregnacare which hurt my stomach so I then bought all the bits separate and worked out that it wS only the folic that seemed to cause the cramps. I have heard that folic acid is harder for some people to convert them others

I'll try the folate version but I am eating lots and lots of green veg too :)

I don't know if you could get it in a local health food store, you'd have to check.

I bought mine off amazon and just got free delivery (3-5 working days) and they arrived the next day! So fab service.

I didn't take any, first bloods at 13 weeks were fine, I eat tonnes of green veg etc, but then my 28 week bloods showed enlarged red blood cells which can be a sign of B12 and/or folate deficiency, so I decided to take both. I already had B12 tablets I'd not bothered taking *oops*. TBH I think it was more likely a B12 issue but haven't had either confirmed, just taking them both 'just in case'.
When I went for follow up bloods the nurse said the baby takes all of it from you so the baby is fine but you end up deficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back