Folic Acid Allergy

MrsDuckie

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I started taking folic acid just before we started ttc; over the first few weeks I was feeling sick, had an upset stomach and eventually came out in a rash all over my legs and thighs.

Now I've had my BFP I'm obviously very keen to get folic acid in my system, but has anyone found anything alternative? I did read about supplements containing folate the naturally active form; methylfolate I think?

Anyone else had any experience of reacting badly to folic acid and did you find a good alternative?

Thanks. x

I take folate. Folic acid isn't good for anyone with it being synthetic x

I just read that kale is a good sourace of folic acid x

Marmite! It has it in any way I got addicted to it with my son

Kale naturally contains Folate, all leafy green veg does. Folic acid is the synthetic verion. The 2 are often used interchangeably but they are different.

You are better getting Folate from leafy greens than fortified products like cereal and bread and marmite etc which contain the synthetic version.

Since around 28 weeks I've been taking Solgar Folate tablets and and B12 tabs as it was assumed my levels were low (but by the time they did the blood test to check I'd been on the tablets a few days and my levels were the low side of normal) x

I've read that it's difficult to get sufficient folate through food alone. I looked at the solgate one. Is the dosage 800mg on that? Apparently it's higher because the non-synthetic version is harder for the body to absorb? Is that true? Or is your solgate 400mg as in folic acid supplements?

Thanks for the replies.

Pretty much all fruit and veg contain folate. Eating it raw is the best. I worked out that my diet should give me enough folate naturally. But I eat a lot of fresh fruit and salads etc and was drinking freshly made fruit and veg juices. At least I was until I got HG, then I barely ate anything for weeks but keeping tablets down was an issue too so hope I was past the important stage by then.

Not sure about the dosage but yes I have the 800mg ones.

I think it's just different. Folate is usable, folic acid needs converting by the body and most people are unable to convert it so it ends up building up in the body instead (but not actually doing any good).
If ypu google it, unconverted folic acid has been linked to several things (all bad).

Yeah the reports on folic acid are pretty damning! I got the Solgar in the end. Had an early miscarriage last week but feels good to know that I have folate ready in my system for next time.

Aww so sorry to hear about the mc duckie xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back