Folds in neck

Tiny Sue

Reaction score
hey guys...

Just something you mightn't be aware of but if you are, sorry for stating the obvious maybe...

The folds in the baby's neck can get quite sore if they aren't dried properly - particularly if the baby has been spitting up and the spit up has lodged in a neck fold because it's mildly acid.

Naomi's neck has become quite sore on one side in a deep fold and I hadn't noticed it - or hadn't dried it properly after her last bath. I'm using emulsifying ointment on it but if anyone has any ideas as to what might soothe it a little better I'd be grateful...

Feel like a careless mom...hope it's not too sore...

Sue

If i cant get to his neck properly i shake a rattle above his head so he looks up so sneakily clean and dry it that way!! :D

I always rub talc into the folds to keep them dry.

I would do that too, hearts, but talcum powder is no longer recommended for use on babies. Not only little girls, whose genitalia admit the powder which causes ovarian problems later, but also little boys - there are several cases of problems caused by inhaling talcum.

Any other ideas?

Sue

Remember armpits too, found some dried sick in there this morning, no idea how she managed that. Have no suggestions for you sorry but don't feel like a careless mom, I always forget these parts too x

My little girl seems to have no neck, I mean, her head is really down on it, so many folds!!! and she had a bit of a soreness there, and I put sudocream...they say it's fine for eczema, so I thought it should be ok for that, and it worked really well! the redness is gone in less than one day!
Maybe you can try that!

hope this helps,
Mel xx

i agree timy sue - my doctor said that Talc causes soo many porblems - he wishes it could be banned!!!
he said that as you put it on baby inhaled's it - which can cause asthma and it dries the skin too much which can bring on eczema.
also you know how is goes then it gets wet - just imagine it like that in your lungs...ugh

i use baby dry talc.... its a lotion but when rubbed it turns a tiny bit powdery, not like proper talc, i think it might also be called liquid talc.. dont know if this will help you, but alana has excema and i find this ok with that.

I only used good old water and cotton wool on Damien till he was 4 weeks old. I like the smell of all these nice baby products, but babies smell scrummy without them.

Hypnorm said:
i agree timy sue - my doctor said that Talc causes soo many porblems - he wishes it could be banned!!!
he said that as you put it on baby inhaled's it - which can cause asthma and it dries the skin too much which can bring on eczema.
also you know how is goes then it gets wet - just imagine it like that in your lungs...ugh

i agree too, i wont use it atall

Thanks guys...I'll try a mixture of Sudo and emulsifying cream. The pharmacist said something called Silcock's base was good too, but it's all much of a muchness. I just thought that something else other than i was using might clear up the redness and soreness. I don't want it to crack!

Liquid talc? Hmmm sounds fascinating but I have never seen it here. You guys seem to have access to so many good baby products.

Sue

Ella's neck gets really gross and is hard to wash, I try and do it with the baby sponge each night in the bath, we were using talc but don't use it on her body now. Didn't realise it could cause ovarian probs if used on her bits :shock: :( We occasionally use it on her bum, but not nearly as much as we were. Will stop using it now for everything.

:oops: :oops: :oops: I use loads of talc on Reece :oops: :oops:
The room seems to be full of it when i've finished with him! I feel so bad now, will stop using it asap!

Is it dangerous to eat as well then? Sounds stupid i know but when i was pregnant i couldn't get enough of it and even now i have a sly taste of it every so often. :oops: :oops: I sound like a freak don't i? :oops: :oops:

Hi Sue

I was at the bf clinic today and a wee girl there has reflux and the sick also gets into the folds of her neck - the HV told her mum to use extra virgin olive oil on it, she said that it's great at feeding the skin to heal sores and cracked skin.

Olivia has some peeling skin (looks like she's had too long in the sun) on her legs and feet so I was going to try this on her after her bath.

HTH

Lucy

Avent do the liquid talc, its called magic talc, it is just like a lotion which becomes slightly powdery on the skin and absorbs the moisture. Its great, Im surprised the midwife didnt tell everyone not to use talc. Another place that sicks gets to is behnd the ears, I didnt notice this until the other day as Ella has so much hair! and she had a little sore behind her ear which has cleared now!

Another place that sicks gets to is behnd the ears, I didnt notice this until the other day as Ella has so much hair! and she had a little sore behind her ear which has cleared now!

Tis true. I thought Ella had dry skin scabs or something behind hers until I smelt it :oops: Managed to scrap it off with my nail (nothing else would shift it!) and wipe with a wet wipe. Poor little girl!

I use that AVENT liquid talc - its lovely. Bit pricey at £4.99 but you dont need that much and its worth it for your little one! :D

I only wash Heidi using cotton wool and water - i think tiny babies skin is way to sensitive for all these baby wipes and products

L x

rosieroo said:
Another place that sicks gets to is behnd the ears, I didnt notice this until the other day as Ella has so much hair! and she had a little sore behind her ear which has cleared now!

Tis true. I thought Ella had dry skin scabs or something behind hers until I smelt it :oops: Managed to scrap it off with my nail (nothing else would shift it!) and wipe with a wet wipe. Poor little girl!

LOL Brody's the same. This thread made me give him a really good scrub in the bath today... he wasn't dirty but you know how it is when you want to make sure they're nice and clean hehe

Hearts, I only know what I read about the talc which is that when it is mined sometimes it is mixed with a type of asbestos which has to be scrubbed out of it, but traces of which remain. Also tiny particles of anything are dangerous to inhale.

As for eating it, it sounds to me like you had a condition called pica which makes you eat strange things during your pregnancy - and is a sign of an iron deficiency.

Have you had your iron levels checked?

Sue

I have been using talc OMG so glad that i read this thats why i think these forums are great :D Jake's neck used to get so sore as with his reflux and being sick all the time, so glad i read this topic now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back