Flying...

Gem

Reaction score
I've read on baby centre that flying in the first and second trimester is fine, but I wondered what everybodies opinion was on this. I've heard that you are exposed to radiation when you fly?

What kind of side effects might I get?

I'm a little nervous, as I really don't want to do anything to harm my baby.

It's only a 3hr flight, but I'd still like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks. :)

I flew to the dom rep when I was only 8/9 weeks and thats a nine hr flight and I've had no problems now 17weeks , the Dr didnt think it was an issue either advised to drink plenty of water do little excercises and wear flight socks, I dont think anything will happen because you went on a 3hr flight, unless you have any medical problems, then you may want to get checked out 1st. If your heading to a holiday destination then you may find, its the best thing having a rest for a week or so

I took a 8 hours flight to come to pakistan, and as you can see, I am 11 weeks pregnant. I asked my midwife first, but she did not see any issue with it. just to drink plenty of fluids, don't hesitate to get out of your seat to have a small walk, and move your legs often when seated. I was more concerned of the take-off and landing, with the pressure it can give to the body, but again, little bean seem to have taken it just well :) I was worried, had a scan a couple of days ago, and babylove is doing well!

I am in pakistan till the end of August, and get a new scan in Uk the next day to put my mind at rest, but as long as you take it easy on your mind, you two should be fine! (you might just want to take your favorite food in case the one in the plane is not to your taste!!!) I was glad I had mine!

enjoy your holiday,

mel xx

I flew from uk to oz which is 20 hour flight when i was 8 weeks, i just made sure i got up loads to walk about and drank loads of water, i also asked at check in if i could have a seat by the toilet :).

I have had loads of problems with pregnancy but NONE of these are from flying, they are from previous health issues.

Go and enjoy yourself and son't worry about the flight.

Hiya Gem

It is my understanding that it's perfectly fine to fly during pregnancy, as long as you take certain precautions, such as:-

:) You must drink plenty during the flight, particularly on long flights as the air humidity in the cabins of passenger aircraft is kept at only 8%.

:wink: You should avoid sitting still for too long as Pregnant women run an increased risk of inflammation and blood clots in veins of the legs.

:D You should try and get an aisle seat and move around as much as possible - at least 15 minutes every hour.

As far as any radiation risk is concerned, for your average passenger, who flies occasionally, it is not an issue. There is thought to be a risk to pregnant women who fly more than 75hrs per month. Realistically the only people who travel by air for this length of time in any given month are Air Cabin Crew.

Have a safe journey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back