Flying at 21 weeks

weefoggy

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm 21 weeks on Sunday.

Just looking for some thoughts on flying to foreign countries, I am due to go on a work conference in Malta next week, I have researched the net and spoken to midwife and seems it's safe to fly.

My OH is a sweetheart and is very protective of me and LO so is no overly keen on me going in case anything happens. He's also worried about healthcare in malta if anything did happen. This has got me worried now, thinking what if this and that.

What would you do? Have you flown whilst pregnant? Any experience of healthcare in Malta?

I feel generally fine in pregnancy, few aches and pains but nothing major.

Any replies greatly appreciated xxx

I actually went to Lloret de mar for a weeks holiday when i was 23 weeks pregnant with my DD and i was fine, i coped with the heat well (which i didnt think i would) flying was fine too! Cant really comment on Malta as i've never been there my self but i'm sure all will be ok :) xx

I was a bit earlier than you, but I went on honeymoon to Mexico when was 9weeks pregnant, 10hour flight :shock::shock: and was fine! Don't know how comfy you'll be on plane seat, but as long as you take it easy I don't see any problems esp as you have been feeling fine .

Sounds a great job to send you places like that :dance:

I am planning a long-haul trip to the USA when I will be 22-24 weeks prego - checked with midwife and she said go for it! I think you need to get up and walk around more on the plane and drink a ton of water, but you will be fine xx

Oh, and bring your pregnancy notes with you just in case you do need healthcare x

I think you'll be fine on a short flight like that hun. Can't comment on medical care in Malta mind. Be sure to confirm your insurance covers you for any eventuality though.

I went to Miami and New York when I was 13-15 weeks pregnant. I did not have a pleasant experience on the flight tbh but that could easily have been avoided with hindsight. Make sure you keep hydrated on the flight and access to the toilet. I had a guy blocking me in the seat for a LONG time and was rather grumpy when I needed to get up to use the bathroom. As a result I didn't drink enough on the flight and ended up with a massive nosebleed and two of the crew had to look after me. My nose was literally bleeding for probably half an hour or so. I got to sit in the crew bit though so I guess that was a positive!

I know your trip is work related but I wouldn't go on an action packed long haul holiday to a busy city whilst pregnant again I don't think. It was just too much for me sadly. Now if it was sitting by the pool with a non alcoholic beverage.. that might have done the trick!

I flew to crete when i was 21 weeks hunny, i was wary but it was perfectly fine :) x x

I flew a few times when pregnant with dd and was fine. Midwife have me support tights to wear too x

As has been said I would wear flight socks not atrractive but so much safer and also make sure you drink lots of water, avoid caffiene if possible 24 hours before flight and keep walking around every hour :)

I had a varicose vein operation when I was younger and that is everything they advised me for when flying as it's DVT that they try to prevent and it;s the same for preggers women.

You will be pleased to hear the medical care in Malta is AWESOME, we have been so many times and the last time we went hubby was mega sick with food poisoning they saw him straight away and treated straight away he had 2 nights is hospital and they were amazing. Make sure work are paying for medical insurance.

We love Malta there is so much there and it is beautiful and the food is amazing, where are you staying?

xxx

don't know specifics about healthcare in Malta, but have been - similar to lots of other european countries and they all speak english so i wouldn't be worried xx

I would just check with the airline but I think most are happy to fly pregnant women up to about 28 weeks without a doctor's note, and then with a doctor's note after that. Sounds lovely - I know it's work related but you should be able to get a little bit of time by the pool in the evening surely??!!! lol - v jealous!! xxx

I went to Spain last month and was fine except swelled up like a balloon for a few weeks and was admitted to hospital on my return and had some pretty horrid tests but all was clear, it wouldnt stop me going again :)

I flew this summer at about 19 weeks and was absolutely fine :). Coped well with the heat while over there but definitely avoided any sea food or cheeses because although I've trusted them over here I didn't very much over in fuerteventura

Thanks very much for all the advice ladies, you've been really helpful! Usually we go to the midlands or something, they decide to take us to Malta when I'm pregnant and have to be careful what I eat and can't drink alcohol! should be fine though, will be meetings most of the time and dinners in the evening so not much time to ourselves.

BellaRiven thanks for the info on Malta, that eases my mind a lot! We are staying in the Grand Hotel Excelsior in Floriana.

Vikki, slightly concerned that you blew up like a balloon...what caused that?

xx

I have no idea, I've pretty much had all the horrid pregnancy related things, they were looking for a pulmonary embolism as I'm really breathless as well but everything was clear. I didn't wear surgical stockings though so would recommend to do so.

I flew at 26wks but check what flight company say as they might want a drs note and usually suggest you wear flight socks when pregnant!

Thanks very much for all the advice ladies, you've been really helpful! Usually we go to the midlands or something, they decide to take us to Malta when I'm pregnant and have to be careful what I eat and can't drink alcohol! should be fine though, will be meetings most of the time and dinners in the evening so not much time to ourselves.

BellaRiven thanks for the info on Malta, that eases my mind a lot! We are staying in the Grand Hotel Excelsior in Floriana.

Vikki, slightly concerned that you blew up like a balloon...what caused that?

xx

I am mega Jealous, that hotel is GORGEOUS, we have walked past it a few times :) never had the money to go in though lol :) and a beautiful part of Malta right near Valleta shopping central for Malta :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back