Fitness and Weight - Plans?

Neev

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone is carrying out a fitness regime while in first tri? I would like to walk an 30 minutes - 1 hour everyday once my flu gets better and maybe swim 4 times a week. Is this being too enthusiastic and ambitious? I am going to take a break from the gym for the first 12 weeks because cannot take any chances but is there any other form of exercise recommended or tried by anyone to keep healthy, fit and to keep that excess weight off?

When I first found out on christmas day my initial instinct was to walk less, rest and be very cautious but I think that is just a recipe for piling on pounds too easily.

Keeping baby safe outways piling on pounds for me, im not doing anything except relaxing and going to work for the next 12-14 weeks, it does feel very lazy but I dont want to risk anything happening and personally I do think it is risky.

When you are pregnant your baby needs mroe oxygen I know by vigourous excercise that reduces the amount of oxygen the body gets... I missed weight training/training in general alot but i know when I have the baby (if all goes to plan) theres no reasion i cant return to that lifestyle :)

I think walking is a great idea though xx

I'm hoping to start swimming during my lunch hour at least once a week and I walk the dog everyday anyway.

I have noticed what appears to be a bit of a belly forming and I'm sure it can't be a baby as I'm only 5 weeks :shock:

I've also bought a book called Pregnancy and Fitness which has a few pregnancy specfic exercises in. I imagine that labour is incredibly hard work and I want to try and prepare my body for that a bit if I can! Although considering I'm bloody knackered most of the time, I don't know if that'll happen :rotfl:

Swimming is really good to do as it supports u in the water - just go when it is quiet and avoid kicking kids as it can hurt when they boot u one :(

I agree, thats why I am not even going anywhere near our gym for the first 12 weeks. I was thinking slow walking and getting some fresh air, hoping there is no chill out there and swimming. I work from home so its very much a case of working when I want to and that too involves mainly at the desk. I can just picture myself eating out of boredom and then not moving my butt at all :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hmmm.... this has me thinking now! I love my exercise and I regularly kick box. I gave this up yesterday (my last class... :( ) but my plan was to replace it with gym sessions, so I went this morning before work. My plan is...

Monday - gym or a class
Tuesday - gym
Wednesday - rest or a swim... depending how I'm feeling
Thursday - gym - or a class
Friday - gym
Saturday - swim...
Sunday - sit on my bum all day!!! :rotfl:

Now I'm reading all this... I'm thikning this is too much? I must admit the idea of a swim tomorrow morning is NOT appealing, but this is the first time I've felt tired... so I'm going to listen to my body.

Is exercise really THAT bad? I thought once you didn't over heat and your heart rate didn't get too high (above 140-145) then it was ok?

Eek.....!

If you end up anything like me, you go from walking a fair few miles a day and being really active to feeling exhusted and barely able to move, let alone think about keeping fit.

Seriously, up until about 6 weeks I was fine, then it all hit me and I was knocked for six. As your body is doing the work of the placenta in those first 10/12 weeks it takes so much energy out of you, you do feel really drained. Couple that with probable morning sickness, sore boobs, restless nights of broken sleep due to peeing a lot and goodness knows what else and you may not feel up to much.

I then called a halt to all my good intentions of keeping fit and being active in first tri and waited till I hit 2nd tri and my body had bounced back. I think in first tri weight gain is not really something to worry about as your body will be working so hard you'll need all the energy you can get from your food.

I'd just wait and see and don't plan too far in advance or be upset if your good intentions go out the window. I'd see how you feel day by day as while you may feel ok for a swim in the morning, by luchtime you may be so shattered it'll be all you can do to not pass out with exhustion. I had to sleep for at least 2 hours every afternoon just to make it through the day for 6 whole weeks. It was a nightmare. I could not even make it up the stairs without feeling crap.

Listen to your body and don't expect too much from it in these first 12 weeks as all its energy is going toward growing baby :)

fluff said:
Is exercise really THAT bad? I thought once you didn't over heat and your heart rate didn't get too high (above 140-145) then it was ok?

Eek.....!

Well yes and no. Yes that is correct what you are saying. But the reality is for many women in their first tri is that it is simply exhusting just getting through the day, let alone having energy to work out.

Your body does the work of the placenta in the early weeks so it really saps it out of you. Doing exercise on top can really knock you for 6. It depends on the person, but if you are anything like me, all your good intentions fly out the window. I used to come home from work, with a plan to take dogs out for an hour on the hills but it was all I could do to make it up the stairs and sleep solidly for 2 hours or more.

I went from long walks with dogs up steep hills and across fileds to barely being able to climb the stairs. It was 10 weeks of frustration and feeling crap, with 24/7 nausea on top along with sleeping no more than 2 hours at a time because of needing to wee a lot and goodness knows what else.

Or course, someone else may come along and tell you they had a breeze, ran a half marathon and slept 8 hours every night and never felt sick once :lol:

You are still in the early stages and chances are more things will kick in over the next few weeks with regards to your body, baby and all the changes. Play it by ear and be sure to listen to what your body is telling you :)

Sherlock you are completely right. I will follow your advice. Wake up with a plan but not beat myself up if I feel exhausted, I will take each day as it comes and make sure that when I do feel energetic then I will do something active which is safe for the baby too :D

Yes... thanks Sherlock... I think that because I've had no symptoms so far... I think it's all going to be like this, when the likely hood is that the horrors are just around the corner waiting for me :shock: :lol:

All the best intentions will probably go out of the window... I'm definitely feeling pretty pooped today, so will have an early night and a lovely lie in tomorrow... and no swimming!!

Thanks for the advice - and sorry for the hijack Neev!!

oh fluff no, dont be silly, not at all. Its nice to see you are also in dilemma about fitness. We are both newbies and this is my first baby so everything is so new. I am taking it all in too, so I am sure we will figure out how to stay fit and healthy through the pregnancy too. I was thinking of pregnancy yoga after 12 weeks are through. They do the classes at my gym so will join that after getting the go ahead by the docs. :cheer:

I agree with Sherlock - I used to walk at least 40 mins a day but now I just don't have the energy and am getting the bus! Exercise is low on my list of priorities at the mo but I hope to regain the energy in second tri. I agree that light exercise is definitely good for you and baby xx

Currently the exercise i do is one day cardio at the gym, one day weights at the gym, one pilates class and one swim per week all at the gym.

then in the weekend, weather dependednt my husbad and i try and go for a gentle walk for about 1 to 2 hours (flat no hills).

I have been lucky though that i haven't felt to bad physically that i can keep going at the gym.

But my gym instructers alos know i am pregnant so my program has been set at an appropriate level for that.

When i had a bit of spotting i did stop going to the gym straight away (any excuse).

Sandi

Am I the only one using pregnancy as an excuse NOT to do any exercise?? (Although I have a condition - lazyitis!!) Apart from some gentle yoga and a bit of walking, well strolling really, I am just taking it nice & easy.

I agree thats great advice Sherlock :)

xx

I am starting to miss excercise a bit now though lol!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back