First time with Midwife!?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by OhWow, May 3, 2016.

1. OhWow

OhWow Member

Ok so I have my first appointment with the midwife on Monday the 9th and I was reading through the booklet I got sent and it says the appointment will last 2 hours?! What will be happening for 2 hours?? I thought it might just be a bit of blood taken and maybe some lifestyle advice and that be that! Anyone who has had the first appointment with a midwife could you please shed some light? I'm 11 weeks and not seen anybody about my pregnancy yet? Is that possibly a factor?

Thank youuu!! :D

2. KeelyT90

KeelyT90 Well-Known Member

It won't be that long. They say it could be an hour and half up to 2 hours. They'll work through your maternity notes and fill the book in with you, take a water sample, bloods, height and weight and depending on your area you may leave with your dating scan appt like I did. Will also give you some nutritional info and a thousand leaflets to take home. I was in for like 35 mins. X

3. Maaaaaac

Maaaaaac Well-Known Member

Mines was near three hours! I was in late afternoon so was waiting between scan (scan and ba was at same appointment) and going into see midwife for like an hour!

4. BunnyN

BunnyN Well-Known Member

Try and think of anything you want to ask too because I found they take more time over the 1st appointment and sometimes your next ones feel more rushed.

5. Rubyredslipper

Rubyredslipper Well-Known Member

Mine was 40 mins!! She did my notes at home, didn't take any blood or do height/weight, they did that at my first scan

6. JoS

JoS Well-Known Member

Mine was about two hours but I had to talk through both of my other pregnancies and labours and then about my miscarriages too, I think without all that it would have been less than an hour

7. Phoenix85

Phoenix85 Well-Known Member

They also ask you a load of stuff to do with family medical history (like any history of heart disease or birth defects etc etc in immediate family) so that takes a while.

It's usually around an hour, sometimes longer depending on how much the midwife wants to chat about everything lol.

Also don't worry I was 13 weeks when I had my booking in appointment (first midwife contact).