First time using opks help!!

blonde_ditz77

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new here I've just tried my first ovulation test and I'm probably being a bit thick but I'm not sure if u just read it the same way you would a pregnancy test. I can't figure out how to post a picture of it on here though from my iPhone. I'm also a little bit complicated pI've never had a period for over 2 years as I was on the injection but been off it now for 9months and still no period, I have been referred to a gynae but I had a scan done yesterday of my bladder and kidneys and the girl kindly took a look at my ovaries and said I have a follicle on my right one which means I'm going to ovulate, so I'm slightly confused right now as I don't have a period to go from thank you to anyone that can help

It's not quite the same as a pregnancy test. The second line has to be darker than or as dark as the test line. Mine say it can be almost as dark. Mine only get about as dark as your pic, so other people will probably be better able to tell if this is positive. If it's not then it's definitely getting there and it's probably a good idea to start dtd now so there's some in there to meet the egg (I think).

To upload a pic you press 'go advanced' and hit the paperclip.

Thank you so much for replying, I've tried uploading that way and it just keeps saying failed hmm x

Maybe the photo is too large...I don't know if there is a size limit. I'm new on here so pretty clueless! :)

I've done another one tonight but this one you can barely see the second line could this just be because be my urine is too diluted now? And try again in the morning

IMG_9072.jpg so this is my one this morning so now I don't understand what's happened between last night and the morning I'm really confused have I stopped ovulating or have I released an egg already? I'm baffled

Exactly the same thing happened to me this month and often happens. Here's what I've gleaned from the lovely ladies on this site. a) your urine could be too dilute, although as you did this in the morning it's unlikely. It is best to test for LH after 10am rather than first pee as with pregnancy tests. I think something like between 10am and 5pm is recommended.

b) Someone (I think it was Snowbee) told me that your LH surge can just be a few hours so you could have missed the peak surge.

The only sure fire way to know you ovulated is to check basal temperatures to see if you go into the luteal phase, when it rises. It is the egg casing that signals the body to produce progesterone which causes the temp rise (I read that on the Ovia app this morning). Also is you don't ovulate you are unlikely to have a normal period. (I went through months of not ovulating and this is what happened).

Even if you ovulated yesterday you can still get pregnant if you have sex today as the egg lives between 12 and 24 hours. Also you can ovulate anytime up to 48 hours after the LH surge too so the egg may not have dropped yet. (Sorry if you know all this stuff already..it's taken me ages to make sense of it all)

Keep doing ovulation tests in case you get a second surge. This stuff aways sounds easier in the fertility books! It's so confusing in real life!! Good luck!

Last edited:
I think I also read somewhere it's best to test later on my god I didn't think it was all this xo fusing lol I didn't have allof this with my son thank u for helping me lol xx

Hi, I just posted something on ovulation test lines in the main TTC bit. Think it might be helpful if you don't get a line as dark as the test line. Basically, as long as there is a pattern of the LH going up and down, it is an LH surge and means you're about to ovulate. Hope that helps. x

Aw thank you so because I got that one positive all the others I've done after that the lines got fainter and fainter I must have ovulated now?

My tests say up to 48 hours after a positive OPK but I've read it's up to 36 hours. But never read over 48 hours. You can still get pregnant 24 hrs after ovulating. If you did the test on the 16th then you could still ovulate today on 18th. I'd keep dtd for a day or so if possible. It took me 48 this month to ovulate after a pos opk. Who knew TTC would be so much maths!!?

Last edited:
Oh god I know and my maths is appalling for a 30 year old lol we Dtd Thursday Friday Saturday and today so I'm hoping we hit lucky xx

Hee hee...I'd say you're in with a good chance! Good luck.

Is it normal for your boobs to be so sore they hurt every month even tho I haven't been having any periods but this time by god I can't even put my bra on

I don't know. Mine are very sore after ovulation. Maybe your body has still been having some kind of hormonal cycle. Is it constant or just now and then? Hopefully now you have probably ovulated you might have a period.

At the minute they are sore constantly previous months it would last about a week then everything would just stop and nothing else would happen but this time they are really really sore is all so confusing lol

That's weird. Might stop if you get your period. Could always check it out with your doctor if it doesn't go away. Might be worth asking on the main part of the forum if anyone else who has come off the pill has experienced that as it does sound hormonal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back