first time trying

magzj

Reaction score
My partner and i have decided its time to begin trying for a baby, Im so confused as to what all the jargen on the net says i should be looking for ect ect, anyone got and basic tips for me?

thanks again, im so nervous but so excited at the the same time, its wonderful though!

hi ya :wave:

just relax and enjoy!! come on here its always good for a natter and welcome!!! :wave:

Hiya and welcome :wave:

The first thing I did was try to work out my cycle, some ladies know when they're ovulating others (like me) don't have a clue. There's a few ways of finding out probably the best way is temping, have a look at the chart stalkers thread, the ladies there know all about it and are very helpful. I used OPK's (ovulation preditor kits), it doesn't tell you that you've actually ovulated but tells you it's likely that you're about too. You basically POAS (pee on a stick) and it gives you the results. Another way is to check your CM (cervical mucus), when it becomes clear and stretchy like eggwhite (EWCM) then you're at your most fertile. And lastly is checking the position of you cervix, I've no idea how to do that though :lol:

If you BD (baby dance) regularly when your coming up to ovulation and when just past ovulation you'll hopefully catch the egg.

Although if you make love every other day throughout your cycle you should be in with a good chance :hug:

Hope that all makes sense, I'm no expert just passing on some stuff I've learnt from the lovely ladies on the forum, hopefully someone else will come along and give you better guidance.

Good luck :D

Good luck!! I'm trying for my first too and its very exciting!

I think mrs_metal pretty vretty much covered everything there. I'm trying for my first too and I'm currently smack in the middle of month 7 trying.

when I first started I really didn't have a clue about having a baby and thought it would happen within a couple of months.......Little did I know just how difficult it is to concevie!

I would say one of the most important things is knowing your cycle length. If you have cycles that are the same length each month it is easier to predict what day of you cycle you probably ovulate on. If you have cycles that vary a lot from month to month then temping will probably be your best bet.

I've now been temping for 3 months and it's the most useful thing I've done. all it takes is to take your temperature every morning when I wake (before getting out of bed or talking or anything) and then plotting it in a FF graph. From that I've been able to see what date I'm likely to ovulate on each month.

The best sign to look out for though is your cervical mucus (sounds gross I know). Straight after your AF (Aunt flo -period) you should get very little to no CM at all, if you do get it it should be creamy or dry and crumbly, but as you get more fertile it usually starts to get more watery and then turns quite thick and stretch and looks a lot like egg white, hence Eggwhite cervical mucus (EWCM). You won't believe how excited you get when you find some.... :rotfl: the EWCM is the most fertile type and you should try and get you BDing in when you have this.....although be warned it can last for over a week so don't waste all the good swimmers in the first couple of days. As soon as you've OV'd the CM should dry up again although some women do get creamy or crumbly CM as AF gets closer.

If you need any advice just pop on here because we're all willing to offer some of out TTC advice.

Welcome by the way and good luck getting a BFP (big fat positive)

:hug:

Buy sexy undies
enjoy yourself
have lots of nookie!

and gud luck!!

x

I think its important to take your vitamins. I took the pregnany ones from tescos, only a few £ for 90 tablets. They have folic acid in them too which is good and your advised to take them 3 months before you try to conceive.
I got hubby on the iron tablets for his squigglies and drinking guinness! ha ha
Also try not to think about it as people can become obsessed and if its in your mind it prob wont happen.
Oh i also charted my temperature all month to see when it peaked, so i knew the day i ovulated. It was different from what books said.
Hope that helps you.
Good luck :dance:

Aww thanx alot everyone. this info is really helpful!

xx

Can't add much more than what the other girlies have said, except.......

GOOD LUCK!!! :D

Hope your stay in TTC is a short one :D

Yep, I think the other ladies have said pretty much everything! Just keep having lots of sex around the time you ovulate and have egg white cervical mucus and you should do it!! Ive been trying for my first for 8 months now but its only been the last couple of months that Ive known how important cervical mucus is! So I discard the previous 5 months :wink:

Good luck!! Hope you get pregnant soon! :)

Hi Magzj,

I'm in the same position as you, a first time TTC'er! :wave: My cycles are regular and I bought a digital OPK and tested for the last 2 months and I've got a smiley face on the same day each time.

I've also started taking pronatal supplements.

Hoping for success sometime soon

Good luck!

the book 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' by Toni Weschler (as per sticky at top of forum) is very comprehensive and covers all the things posted above and more.

You can find more info on www.fertilityfriend.com - it's a charting website, but you can read the helpful info without having to take your temp, and then decide whether it's worth it for you.

If you always have very regular cycles, you may not want to bother temping or using OPKs for the first 2-3 months - say you always have 30-day cycles, if you BD every day from day 12 of your cycle (counting from the first day of proper red flow of your period) to day 18 of your cycle, you *should* have covered your bases as far as ovulation timing is concerned. If you don't conceive after a couple of months following that timing, or if you have irregular cycles, then OPKs and temping really help.

For example - I usually have 33-day cycles, and ovulate around CD(cycle day)18-21. I had a chemical pregnancy in October (very early miscarriage), and because I was temping, I knew that in November I ovulated on CD12 - a week early. So when my period arrived a week early, I was expecting it. Similarly, in December my temps told me that I didn't ovulate at all. I was able to take my charts to my doctor who confirmed that the chemical pregnancy had messed up my hormones and said that because I had all the data, he was willing to start investigations at the end of the next full cycle if I haven't conceived by then.

If you want to see what charting looks like, follow the link at the bottom of my post - or anyone else's, if they have a fertilityfriend.com link - and you will see how you record cervical mucus (cm), ovulation test results (on my chart OPK for sticks and Mon for the Clear Blue Easy Fertility Monitor) and intercourse timing (BD) on your cycle. On my chart for October you can see that the monitor and the cm helped us to time intercourse just right, and we conceived. On the November chart you can see that the miscarriage threw my hormones out, bringing ovulation forward and taking us by surprise (though thanks to the cm and the monitor, we'd BD'ed early too, so were still in with a chance), and on the December chart, which is still continuing, you can see that the monitor, OPKs, and cm all told me I wasn't about to ovulate, and the temps confirmed that ovulation either didn't happen, or if it did, was very weak - there was no definite temp surge.

Hope that helps!

The best advice is to relax and just BD every other day.

(Easier said than done I know)

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back