first scan worrys

samanthajayne

Reaction score
good evening all. this is a silly post i'm just being silly and over reacting but i just wanted to talk about it as i don't have many people i can talk to at the moment. my mum just tells me everything is fine and not to be so silly. i have been reading through some posts on this site and i have to say i have been scaring myself reading some as i never knew so many problems existed with pregnancy. i am roughly 14 weeks now and i have my first scan tomorrow well today (wednesday 23rd). i've had lots of tummy stretching and the tightness (i still have to use a hot water bottle somedays as the tightness gets quite bad) and sickness and sore boobs all normal symptoms and i have done 3 pregnancy tests over the last 3 months all positive and my tummy is getting a little bigger already and my jeans are getting tight but i was just reading something about a blighted ovum which i never knew could happen and i have been reading a lot about it and i have just got myself so worked up and stressed that they are going to give me a scan and tell me there is nothing there and i am so scared. i have had no signs that anything could be wrong but from what i have read you don't need signs to know anything is wrong which worries me even more. i haven't had any blood tests yet as i am scared of needles but i don't think that would show up any problems anyway. i'm sorry i have just got myself so scared i really want everything to be ok this is my first pregnancy and it was planned i got pregnant after 3-4 months of trying so you'd think i would have read up on pregnancy but i didn't its only now i'm starting to and i'm scaring myself. is it normal to feel this way or am i just going crazy. the worst thing is i'm taking my boyfriend to the scan and he isn't the most supportive person in the world and i just don't know what i will do if its bad news. i have been looking forward to having a scan since i got pregnant i can't wait to see my baby and to think there may be nothing there after all this time really scares me. but i am such a baby i hate needles i hate pain i don't handle bad news well so all my family and friends can't understand why i wanted a baby because i am such a big baby myself.

Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Forums can be great for information during every stage, but you can upset yourself easily by some of the things you read. Yes, there can be problems, but everyone is different, and with it being your first,, you dont know what to expect. it could all be fantastic!!!

During my early weeks, i had period like cramps, didnt want to do a test until i was a week late. it came back positive. over the next week, i did another five tests...didnt believe the first result.

Now you are at 14 weeks, your risk of misscarriage is greatly reduced, which is most girls' main worry during the early days. you are past the critical first 12 weeks.

after i had the period like cramps, i found myself getting stretching pains...they come and go. but i am used to them now. had a scan, and heard the heartbeat a few times now, and i am a little more relaxed.

if by now you have had no bleeding, you can be pretty sure there is a baby in there, and you will see it at the scan, it is so amazing, you will wonder what you were worrying about!!!

please try not to worry, your baby will soon be responding to your feelings and moods, and if you are happy, your baby will be happier. i know it is difficult, but you have to be optimistic. try to avoid threads that you know contain upsetting stories, if they are having such an effect on you. many of the girls who respond to those threads have experienced it before, and can relate. people like you and i can only imagine, and sometimes, imagination can run away on us, which is no use.

thinking of you, looking forward to seeing your scan pics :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hi Sweetie :wave:
Congrats on you pregnancy :dance: AND WELCOME TO TRI2 :wave:
Dont worry hon All the symptoms you have mentioned ive been throught them all and my baby boy's is kicking me right now.
Its only natural to feel worried i was scared stiff till i reaches 3 months. But now you our past that stage now things should settle down.
I was petrified going in for my first scan but then i saw my wonderful baby moving around and saw the heart beat my heart melted.
It will be the same for you hon
Yes some of the posts can be scary but sick to the happy ones if it upsets you.
This forum is fantastic for advice and the girls our so warm and friendly.
You will love it hear. you can ask anything.
If you want you can PM me at any time to chat about any worries you have.
i'll be more then willing to listen. :D
Enjoy your scan and post the pics cant wait to see your little one pics
we all love looking at each other's babies a cooing over them.
Lol Sarah :hug:

Hi hun, congratulations on your BFP! :D
I had the exact same worries as you and like you didn't know half of the things that could go wrong! I too was petrified about having a blighted ovum after reading about it on here.
I'm sure that your scan will go just fine and once you see your LO you will be very much releived and also excited to see him/her floating about with the little heart flashing!
Now that you are in tri 2 it's a lot less scary here and as geordielass said the girls are really nice and give good support/advice. I too don't have many people to talk to either other than my mum as I am an only child and the first of my friends to get PG and I have had a lot of support on here.
Let us know how your scan goes hunni :hug:

Congrats on baby and welcome to Tri 2 (It's the bestest :shhh: ) :cheer:

You will soon see that you have nothing to worry about and it is so amazing to see baby :)

Looking forward to pics :)

Congratulations!

I was scared myself about this, had to wait a while aswel 4 my scan because i realised quite late that i was pregnant..
Had my scan at 16 weeks... and my and my boyfriend were amazed at the little person growing inside me!

I have my 20 week later today, and im scared again.... i must just be a worrier though! :think:

Congrats on your PG :cheer: And ditto what the others have said.

I'd try to relax as making it to 12 weeks is always a good thing and you are now past that. The risk of miscarriage reduces greatly then. The fact you've not had heavy bleeding or severe pain is good. TBH, at 14 weeks, chances are things are progressing well. Some problems would well and truly have shown up by now. Blighted ovum is usually discovered before this point.

I'd have the blood tests done when they are needed as yes they can detect problems, not just with baby but with you. And its important the MW and doctors caring for you, and you yourself know if there is something else to care for. Blood tests are over in a few seconds and you only have a couple of them. I think its well worth it to get tested for everything to rule it all out. You don't have to be tested for HIV of course, that's at your discretion, but my MW told me most women opt to be tested. Other things like Hepititis, and blood group need to be checked for also. Many people hate needles, but really, it is important and I'd go get them done. On the grand scale of pregnancy things a needle prick is a few seconds of discomfort.

On last thing, you say about using a hot water bottle. Now please don't start panicking if you didn't already know this ok. I was not aware of hot temps and raising your body temp etc and I had a few hot baths before I found out I can tell you :roll: I am guessing this use is on your bump area? Be aware that you don't want to use it for long periods of time as raising your temp round baby is not recommended. So long as its not hot hot, warm is best, then it's fine. Same goes for hot baths, as it brings up your overall body temp, although bath water cools quickly, its still advised to avoid them. Putting a hot hot water bottle on your tummy raises the temp in that area and its better to not overheat LO in there is all :) Might be better to start leaving it off now and just getting used to the things going on with your body. Ligament pain is sharp and usually fleeting so a hot water bottle won't prevent or help that. I don't know what else would be painful enough to need a hot water bottle. Most of my tight tummy feelings and so on are not what I consider painful, more annoying and a bit of a discomfort. Some days are worse than others.

Hopefully once you've had your scan you will relax a little more and begin to enjoy it all. I'd suggest to stop reading too much online as it can get very overwhelming and worrying. If you are the type to worry, then better to go see your MW and explain to her your concerns and hear it from the horses mouth then and hopefully put your mind at rest.

All of us ladies have worried, don't think we haven't, but you have to learn to balance it all out and not let it take over your life or your pregnancy as otherwise it just becomes a very hard and worrying experience and from what you have said so far, I don't think you need to be doing this to yourself.

Hey, congrats on your pregnancy!!
First of all ditto what everyone else has said -
It's natural to worry. I panic all the time, the other day i didn't think i'd felt baby move for a couple of hours so i ate something sugary and prodded my belly until she kicked - totally silly reaction but we can't help but worry about our LOs.

Hopefully the scan today will reassure you, it is an amazing thing to see so enjoy it, and come talk to us, we like to help and listen :)

thankyou all so very very much. i will report back later on tonight and let you know how it all went. my scan is at 3:30 this afternoon i hardly slept all night worrying which i know is very silly of me and not good for me. i know i'm not the first to worry and i won't be the last. nothing bad has ever happened in the family regarding pregnancys. i have 3 aunties all of which have had 6 kids with no problems and they made it look so easy like they were popping them out for fun. thankyou all for your reassurance its very much appreciated and i feel much better for reading your words. i feel a bit silly now for worrying so much but sometimes i get myself into a right state when i think of things too much. fingers crossed all is ok and last time i saw the midwife she told me to think about blood tests and make an appointment to see her at 16 weeks so i will do that get it over with. i have had blood tests in the past and it wasn't even that bad its just been a few years and its more the thought of it that worries me than the actual process of them taking blood and they said i could have the special gel that freezes the area so it should be ok i just need to stop being a whimp. someone slap me knock some sense into me hehe. thankyou all again i love this forum everyone is so nice and i know its going to help me through this so a big big thankyou and hugs to everyone :hug:

oh and as for the water bottle i had no idea that it wasn't a good idea. luckily i haven't used it that much. i used it a lot for the week i found out i was pregnant as the pain was really very bad that week i presume that was everything moving around inside as it was mainly towards the very top of my belly. but i have never used boiling water and have always wrapped the bottle in a tea towel or two just so its warm and not hot so hopefully that would have been ok. i have a bath once a week (i have showers the rest of the week hehe) and its only usually warm too so i'm ok there. thankyou for pointing that out.

congrats hun - its normal 2 worry, its all part of bein a mum :hug:

I just read this - I hope your scan went well!
My mum always said I was being silly whenever I talked about the possibility of miscarraige or anything. I thought I was realistic but she just thought I was being weird because so many people have babies every day. That said, now that I've decided I will give birth at the start of week 37 (it won't happen I know, but I can hope :pray: ) she has again decided I'm silly :roll: It's a long time since they were pregnant so I guess they've forgotten what it's like a bit.

I had no idea what a blighted ovum is :oops: I've just looked it up but it looks like you would miscarry in first tri so you should be fine. I take it the reason you are worried is because you also have the 'extra symptoms' of the sore stomach. Here is something I have learned. Everyone has different and at time very different symptoms. Almost all of these symptoms are rubbish and horrible. At least half of them hurt. :hug: Also, it's completely normal to feel the way you do - worried about everything. You'll feel like that for another 26 weeks. Then you'll have a whole new selection of worries!! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: We're all worried about things and the wonderful thing about this forum is that it is full of other people feeling the same way and others who can offer advice. :D

hiya all. my scan went perfectly i am so happy now and feel so silly for worrying. he/she was there and very clear kicking its little legs and waving its arms and looks like a very strong heartbeat. the way it was moving i think its going to be a litle wriggler and is going to let me know its their as soon as it can. i thought i was 14 weeks but i'm actually 15 weeks 1 day and due around 16th july. my bf's birthday is the 13th july. i got a brilliant picture it was so clear i was shocked at how much we could see. i did get myself very worked up today and all for nothing and i keep apologising to baby for getting stressed like that. i know i still have a long way to go but knowing its ok at the moment is a good sign i have my next scan march 5th i am secretly hopeing for a girl but i don't mind as long as he/she is healthy. my bf has even bought a frame for his picture he is so happy now too he had similar worries. he already has a son from his previous relationship but his ex lost their first baby in the first few weeks so he was quite worried it could happen again. as soon as i figure out how to get my scan picture up i will show you all i am so chuffed with the picture i couldn't take my eyes off it all night. thankyou all again for being so supportive :hug: :hug: :hug:

:clap: YEY Samanatha :clap:
that's brillinat news i am so pleased for and glad the scan went ok.
It is amzinf how clear you can see the baby and im glad he/she was being kind to mummy and not hiding for piccies.
Congrats hon :dance:

Have you got your midwife appointment booked that comes next

Lol Sarah

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

So happy for you that you enjoyed your scan :)

Can't wait to see the pics :)

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
I'm so happy for you :) and so glad all was ok, it's always reasuring to see your baby and to be told all is well. xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back