First Dr/Midwife Visit

BunnyMomma

Reaction score
Hello all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question... when did you/or are you going to see the doctor/midwife for the first time since you found out you were pregnant?

Reading online it said to get an appoitment as soon as I found out, which was last week. I phoned my doctors surgery to do this but they said their policy is to get you to fill in a form and then the midwife will contact me in due course. Is this normal?

This is my first pregnancy and my husband and I dont want to tell anyone this soon (i'm only in week 5), but i'm feeling very isolated and have lots of questions to make sure i'm doing things right.

Congratulations :)

Different doctors seem to do it differently. With my daughter, I had a Drs appointment as soon as I found out, but he just gave me a dos and don'ts form and said to book in with the midwife. Last time, I called and booked straight in with midwife, but sadly didn't get that far. This time, I'm having a private scan and will then book in with midwife at around 8 weeks. Try not to stress, you can ask us anything you like xx

I booked an appointment as soon as I found out so was very early. I was quite surprised she just took my work for it! She didn't test or anything and just set up my midwife apt and told me where to ring to arrange my scan.
I understand the isolation thing, desperate to talk to my mate who has recently had a child but I want to wait until the scan to make sure everything's ok.
Doctors do vary, my mate said she went and was tested to confirm. I'd get he form filled in and the ball rolling.

Thank you both for the replies and the warm welcome :)

I gave them the form last week, if I dont hear anthing next week I might call them to ask just so that I know.

I have been the same with my pregnant/new mother friends - so hard not to just blurt out my questions and news!!

I've already told a couple of my close friends and my sister! Need some people to talk to and I'd need them if anything went wrong so don't see the harm xx

My gp surgery dont have anything to do with booking you in to see anyone...I had to self refer myself via my local hospitals website. I am booked in to see her for my first appointment on Tuesday.... I will be 5+5
After having an mc in Sept I have booked a private scan for when I am 7 weeks. Providing everything is ok with that then I will tell my parents
I had to tell my colleagues straight away as I work in a carehome with lots of lifting and manouvreing but we wont tell our friends until our 13 week scan

I had to give a FMU sample and phoned them they said I have been referred and I will hear from the midwife soon. Hope you get to speak to someone soon I've told my close friends and family. Feel free to ask any questions here xx

i booked with the doctor when i found out and they basically said they didnt have any involvement- filled in a form at reception for a midwife who then made the arrangements. also spent an awful lot of time on google to begin with because i didnt want to tell anyone yet! its very scary when you dont know what to expect & whats normal everyone here will be able to help you through :)

I just got told to ring sure start centre and book in which I did at 8 weeks. Quite relaxed really which I personally like

Thanks for the replies all :) I'm feeling much calmer now as it doesnt seem so odd afterall....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back