First baby

Sam2013

Reaction score
Hi all so this isy first baby we don't know what where having but we don't mind x due 22/10
How does this all work then if someone wouldn't mind chatting with me thanks x

Just don't want to read and run so what kind of questions do you have? :) I am currently pregnant with my third but perhaps I can answer some things for you (or at least give you some answers on how I experienced things) xx

So I was given a DVD to watch about pain relief is it true if u use gas n air labour won't b as long as if u get an epidural!?
when do u know what a contraction is lol this sounds so stupid? Lol
should I buy a gym ball to practice bouncing on?

I have never used gas and air (where I live this is never used). I also never had an epidural zo no experience with that. Perhaps ask your midwife for some more information so you can do some more research.

Personally I think an epidural is not neccesary and every type of painkillers (that is medication) could have side effects so it is nice to get informed before hand.

When you get contractions you will know ;)

Gas and air didn't give me any pain relief .. It was more to help me breathe through the contractions. Some people feel spaced out or drunk but I didn't get any of that .. Everybody is different. I didn't have an epi so have no idea what it feels like but I have heard it slows labour down.

Def buy a gym ball .. I bounced everyday for 30mins from 36 weeks and it really helped to move the baby down. Also walk as much as you can in the last few weeks, again this helps baby move into position.

You will know when your contractions start .. You will prob get more pain in the last few weeks before baba comes, braxton hicks get stronger and I sometimes thought they were the start of labour but they just disappear. It's just instinct .. You know when labour starts.

Xxx

With an epidural once you are confirmed fully dilated (10 cm) they usually wait an hour before you commence active pushing. This allows gravity and contractions to move the baby down and allow you to get the pushing reflex to kick in. This is done as there is a higher chance of an assisted/instrumental delivery with an epidural. (forceps/ventose).The good side of an epidural is that you get a chance to sleep and rest so you have the energy for pushing. If you have gas and air you get to push straight away once fully dilated.

I don't think g&a effects labour time. If also doesn't effect the baby. It got me through the last 12-13 hours of labour.

I didn't know what contractions felt like until I was having them. I only started getting by the week before he was born

My advice is to not ask about other people's experiences... Your labour will be individual and hearing other people's "horror" stories won't help [mine wasn't horrible as such but long and I won't share it with you :lol:]

I would say be open minded, try to keep calm and try not to be too rigid in what you want to happen... Have a rough birth plan but also be accepting that on the day anything can happen.

Your MW's will begin to chat about things like pain relief as you get closer and I would thoroughly recommend buying Maggie Howell's Natal Hypnotherapy book. You may not want to use the techniques but most of the book is about the history of labour and childbirth and how being afraid makes it more difficult etc.. I read it a few time as it was such a good read.

xxxxxxx

sam iv not yet had my first but due anytime now. have you got some antenatal classes you could attend? (apologies as not sure how far along you are adn it may be too son/late) also i think the main thing to do is to read up about the different types of pain relief available :
tens machine, weater, gas and air pethadine diammorphine epidural and spinal block and the pros and cons then to write a rough birth plan but dont be too specific as it can go differenly for everyone and on the time be flexible if you need more then get more. iv hired a tens for at home and have a ball id like gas and air only but im not ruling out any of them there is no right or wrong in my mind it all depends on you and the type of birth you experiance. of everyone in my nct class (there are just three of us to go) 4 neeed forceps delivery 2 had extrra complications one an emergancy c section. that said they all planned for a water birth. i do not want a water birth but i did want to be on the birthing center sadly im having to be labour ward due to being high risk its just one of those things. xxx

Hi Baby due 22/10/13 antenatal classes r in September but I just want to sort of be prepared with information lol x

I am pregnant. My mother says that spotting is normal, but I'm scared. What should I do?

Call your midwife! For some people it is a normal thing, for others it is not. The only pregnancy I had this ended in a miscarriage but one of my good friends had spotting during her entire pregnancy and all was fine.

I thought my contractions must've been braxton hicks lol. If you're lucky you don't know but there will always be a point where you go ahh right so these must be contractions :p
Most recognizable part is when it starts to be a pattern and it doesn't ease off in the bath.

Get a bouncy ball before it's too late and your MW can tell you when to start bouncing, also what pain relief and where it's available it's best to decide during labour what is preferred. Do know that pain relief except G&A can ease off or make baby sleepy. Say if you're not progressing 1cm an hour and you get pain relief at 4-6 cm it may not be as effective when you're fully dilated which is a more painful part but more useful so you will have to outweigh it's benefits to its cons and vice versa

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back