Fire Safety Plan?

*Star*

Reaction score
Do you have a fire safety plan for your house?
I worry about this, what we would do if there was a fire in our house at night especially.

our bedrooms are on the top floor of our three story house. With just one staircase to get downstairs. It's very scary, not sure we would be able to get out if there was a fire on the middle floor...

Yes we do, and a flood plan :lol:

In my last job I worked with fire safety inspectors and health and safety inspectors aswell as DDA so it was kinda drummed in to me how important it is :roll:

We do, and we keep an axe in the bedroom in case it fails and we just have to smash the windows/ doors whatever.

Our last house burnt down when we were all at work....now we're all petrified of it.

Kimbo said:
nearest window :oops: :oops: :oops:

similar plan to mine then... :lol: not forgettin the car keys to pull the car away to a safe distance :lol:

Have you thought of a drop down rope ladder? You can buy them at varying lengths and set up hooks so you can quickly attach them and drop roll them out the window.

Also look into a fireproof door between floors maybe? And maybe invest in an extinguisher for the landing or some such?

And hopefully you have smoke detectors and test them regularly. Also worth walking through an escape plan on a regular basis so everyone knows what they are doing.

And yes, we have a plan.

there's no way we could climb down a rope ladder from a third story house with a kid each in our arms. it just wouldn't work. if we fell that would def be it for the me and the child im carrying down

I can see why you would not want to do that. I consider things like a baby carrier could be strapped on, if need be. But it also depends on how fast a situation developed. I hate climbing ladders but if it was the only option I'd do it.

Maybe look into having a fire escape built at the back/side? From both the top and middle floor. With a drop down ladder for the last bit so as people cannot climb up.

Else have someone come round to assess you house and give advice. A fire safety officer should do that I think. Not sure, but think they do. [/list]

yeah i think i will def get them round to have a look at the house.

prob is we rent, and i imagine something like an escape would be expensive to put up and i doubt the landlord would cough up for it.

MY DH is very aware of this - he lost his grandparents and his little cousin in a house fire - so we have a plan, fire extinguishers, an axe, and fire doors on all rooms - they are 1 hour fire doors and they were not expensive about 50 pounds each - maybe your landlord would fit these for you - they are obliged to have a house safe against fire especially with a third story - definitely check with your local fire team to see if your place is up to standard :hug: :hug:

*Star* said:
there's no way we could climb down a rope ladder from a third story house with a kid each in our arms. it just wouldn't work. if we fell that would def be it for the me and the child im carrying down

My friend has an excellent fire plan for her, OH and the kids.

They keep a knotted rope (apparently better for climbing down as a rope ladder traps your fingers against the wall) in the bottom of their wardrobe, it's attached to a big hook in the floor so stays there all the time.

They keep a sling next to it, ready to put LO in.

Our fire plan is to go out onto the bay window's roof at the front, or break the bathroom window at the back and climb out onto the kitchen roof.

They say one of the most important things for fire safety is making sure you keep a key by the front door so you can get out that way. Many people don't, get as far as the door, then die :?
I do keep my keys at the bottom of the stairs but I'm going to get another one cut and keep it on a hook above the door all the time.

Call your local fire station as they all offer free home checks - we had one and they checked all possible hazzards, gave advise and installed super dupa fire alarms for free! I was well impressed and Lawson got to sit in the fire engine too before they were called off to an incident! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back