Finger foods.

PeanutButter

Reaction score
So dd is nearly 9 months. Just started pulling herself up and standing!
Anyway last few days she's refused spoon feeding completely. Will have bottles fine so just been giving her more, she's started waking in the night to I assume because of hunger!!
Apparently this is a milestone and wants to assert independence :)() she's eating her biscuits and baby crisps fine and cries to eat stuff on my plate...
Can anyone give me ideas of finger food that's not bad, or she won't choke on please.
I tried toast with baby choc spread and was a big no. Gonna give fishfinger ago tonight (without the breading stuff on it). Tried to google but I don't have much in the house and don't get paid until next week!!

Fruit of about any kind, chopped banana, strawberries (I gave them to dd whole from 6m), grapes in quarters, chopped blueberries, crumpet, scrambled egg, cooked veg sticks, cooked fusilli

Erm that's all I've got from the top of my head but you can give most goods at her age

Would she attempt to spoon feed herself? It's messy but all learning

I just give a bit of what we eat and have since 6 ish months (when we started offering food). Apart from no honey and no whole nuts. Stuff that is windpipe sized like grapes and cherry tomatoes I cut into quarters.

Pasta is an easy store cupboard one, with whatever sauce you have. Cheese on toast, marmite on toast, peanut butter on toast. Roast parsnips, peppers raw or cooked, carrot sticks, broccoli, sweetcorn, peas, green beans. Vegetable fingers (like fishfingers, I've tried those too), quiche, omelette is another good store cupboard one. Rice, noodles, roast potatoes, chips, yorkshire pudding, sausage, bacon, anything from a roast dinner. Pizza. stew and dumplings. Beans on toast. Bread dipped in soup.

Anything really you are having. I also mix banana with oats and bake into biscuits, you can add fruit or choc chips, whatever you fancy. Mine would never be spoon fed until recently when he would let you feed him yoghurt, so he has eaten everything with his fingers. He isn't a massive eater but will pick up and look at most food, some will make it into his mouth. He is gradually eating more. His favourite is cheese on toast and those parsnip baby crisps, he goes mad for those.

She's sooo fussy, I did her carrots and peas last night and just wasn't into it.
She's just tried her fish fingers and really not interested. Just rubbing it over her high chair lol.
Ohhh mine loves the parsnip crisps to lol. We had a Chinese and I let her try my curry sauce, she would have eaten the whole thing I think, probably because it was mine! Lol
Shep I've tried letting her have the spoon, she just wants to hit the high chair with it... Then her bowel goes on the floor (glad we have dogs and a vax haha).
Gonna give cheese on toast ago for breakfast I think.

Last edited:
Fussy eater huh? I know a thing or two about that! I's been only like 2 years since DD was 9 months but I can't remember too much of what we used to give her... Maybe plain rice cakes, pancakes/ yoghurt in a tube, pasta, baby porridge, banana, cooked carrot/potatoe/other veg, eggs.

Maybe you could order a book for more ideas? x

Last edited:
If you really don't thibk she's interested then take a break from trying for a month. Just maybe give her some of yours if she wants it

I stopped using a bowl or plate and put finger food directly on the tray. A bowl is too tempting to throw on the floor, lol. We have the ikea high chair. The tray pops off and washes super easy.

Here's what I gave my DD :) :

Cucumber sticks with the tough green skin cut off.
Boiled carrot sticks (soft)
Banana sliced into sticks
Raisins
Bread and butter
Sticks of cheese

(I found if it was a stick shape she would bite some off instead of shoving it all in!)

Also helps for them to see you eating the same :) It encourages them to try new things. Mine tried (and liked) broccoli and raw pepper that way! The latter I do not recommend, it was one messy nappy after. She is 6 this month and still eats broccoli, one of my favourite parenting victories! :)

I believe you can also get some (forgive the poor explanation as I don't know the name) safety devices for more 'hazardous' foods. They're like little nets with a pacifier looking attachment so they can chew on and enjoy things like grapes without the danger of swallowing. If I'd heard of them before she was past that stage I'd have tried them.

Good luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back