Financial worries

Kelly450

Reaction score
Is it just me or is anybody else still worrying about the financial hit?

I asked the mummies in the finance thread how much the baby costs them on average and its less than I thought it would be which is good.
Im only losing a couple of hundred a month. But even that seems too much.
I'm worried ill get myself into some sort of financial mess and its been playing on my mind for the last week or two.
However, I know ill probably just about manage though.
Very stressful! :(

Sent from my GT-I9300

Ah i totally know what you mean!! I worry all the time about Smp!! Im going to be loosing more than half a month, what ill be getting will just cover the bills, wont have anything left over for petrol or shopping!! OH was in an accident in march which was his fault and we had to get a new car because he wrote his car off. His insurance has gone up because of the accident and now the police are potentially going to do him for careless driving all because he admitted doing 40 in a 30, he thought it was a 40 road and was honest and upfront with the police officer. He's not a bad driver. If he didnt admit to doing 40 they would of left it. So he's either going to get points which is going to put his insurance up again or get a driving awareness course. Its just never ending with money worries. Luckily i have a very supportive family so i know they wont see us go without but i dont want to rely on them or ask for help. Xxx

Bless ya hun. Sounds much worse for you. I was saying to OH I was lucky not to be full time as I wouldn't have managed losing almost half my wages.
That's such a shame. So he would have been better off lying about it! I understand your worries with the possibility of extra costs.
I don't think we'll have anything extra to worry about and OH can hopefully get a bit of overtime but id hate to ask him to work too much just to cover us financially.
I agree with that. Family will be so supportive but ive never been one to ask for help xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Yeah he totally would of been. Just goes to show honesty isnt always the best policy. Im hoping he'll get the course (which is still about £200) but it shouldnt affect his insurance. Yeah thats the worst thing about working full time, you notice such a big drop in wages. Unfortunately my OH doesnt have the option for overtime, he works in a Quarry and starts when it opens at 7 and finishes when it closes which is 5:30 and works 6 days a week but on a saturday it closes at 12. He does all the hours he can but he has some debt which takes up his money so he only pays the rent and his bills where i pay the house bills, my bills and shopping. arrrgggg im so stressed. We will manage somehow. Hopefully.

Also panicking about going back to work. Need to go back full time but have no child care. Arrrgg. Ah the worries, never ending lol. Xxx

Tri hopping but I'm worrying about this already too! We're gunna lose about £1k a month once smp kicks in. Thought I'd have a trial month and see what it's like, and it makes things really tight. But then I think people poorer than us manage every day, so I'm sure we'll get by. If we have to sell the house we will! It is stressing me out though :( x

I do tend to bury my head in the sand but yes, I am very worried too. Together on paper we earn great money, but I am the main earner. A third of hubbys wages goes on travel to and from work!

I've been good today and done my 12-13 tax return so I can get last years tax paid before i go on leave (I usually leave it till Jan!) I'm expecting it to be about £700 with accountants fees in there too.

My pay roll are going to send me a breakdown next month of what my take home will be each week that I am off - I'm hoping to use that to be able to budget much better.

Tigger87 sent me an amazing spreadsheet to fill in to work everything out. I keep looking at it but then I chicken out, I know its going to scare me so much!!

xx

How much could the insurance rise? The course would be better I guess as the payment is been and forgotten and no thinking About it every month.
Thats a shame and 6 days a week is definitely enough! Especially when theres a little one to make the most of! :)
My OH pays the rent which is £600 a month! And then gas, electric and water. Then he usually buys the top up of food shopping all month and his lunches at work. However, I pay the main shop and all the other bills like contracts, virgin, council tax etc. But I got myself into debt when we got together as I helped him pay off his debt! Lol. So basically I end up paying £200 a month to pay of my debt now! I won't be able to afford to pay that when on smp so I will have to put that on hold until the return to work or really decrease the payments.

Ahh! Going back to work! Even though its so long away it is a worry! Ill need to be going back to atleast the same hours as now which is 30.5 a week. Hoping OH can get night shifts as atm his shifts aren't fixed so id never know when I can work! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Tri hopping but I'm worrying about this already too! We're gunna lose about £1k a month once smp kicks in. Thought I'd have a trial month and see what it's like, and it makes things really tight. But then I think people poorer than us manage every day, so I'm sure we'll get by. If we have to sell the house we will! It is stressing me out though :( x

That is a hell of a lot each month! I'm so glad I dont earn that sort of money as id never afford the drop. As you say though, people manage. We will probably all struggle at times but when are we ever financially stable enough to be entirely sure we can afford a baby? X

Sent from my GT-I9300

I've heard that using a spread sheet is actually really helpful as you know what costs exactly go in and out. Right now, we don't have a budget on a food shop but if I had a spreadsheet id most probably be able to stick to a budget easily. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

When smp kicks in ill be losing over £2k a month & after that, almost £3k per month. I've been able to save a reasonable amount to boost my wages each month but I'm still about £5k short of where I'd like to be. And I doubt I'll be able to save that much again if I get pregnant again quite quickly. It's hard when you're used to reasonable money but I'm sure ill be so enthralled with my lo I won't want to spend my money on expensive stuff for myself!x

When smp kicks in ill be losing over £2k a month & after that, almost £3k per month. I've been able to save a reasonable amount to boost my wages each month but I'm still about £5k short of where I'd like to be. And I doubt I'll be able to save that much again if I get pregnant again quite quickly. It's hard when you're used to reasonable money but I'm sure ill be so enthralled with my lo I won't want to spend my money on expensive stuff for myself!x

I have no idea what it would even be like to earn £3k a month. My partner and I earn nowhere near that between us. If we did id be very confident about money if I was still having the same lifestyle as now. Im sure I wouldnt though lol x

Sent from my GT-I9300

How much could the insurance rise? The course would be better I guess as the payment is been and forgotten and no thinking About it every month.
Thats a shame and 6 days a week is definitely enough! Especially when theres a little one to make the most of! :)
My OH pays the rent which is £600 a month! And then gas, electric and water. Then he usually buys the top up of food shopping all month and his lunches at work. However, I pay the main shop and all the other bills like contracts, virgin, council tax etc. But I got myself into debt when we got together as I helped him pay off his debt! Lol. So basically I end up paying £200 a month to pay of my debt now! I won't be able to afford to pay that when on smp so I will have to put that on hold until the return to work or really decrease the payments.

Ahh! Going back to work! Even though its so long away it is a worry! Ill need to be going back to atleast the same hours as now which is 30.5 a week. Hoping OH can get night shifts as atm his shifts aren't fixed so id never know when I can work! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

The insurance can potentially rise quite considerably, i work in car insurance which at the min i wish i didnt because i know whats to come if he didnt get the course. Yeah your totally right, at least the payment will have been and gone and we can forget about it.i have everything crossed, just waiting to hear back from the police.

Yeah my OH pays about £200 a month for his debt which he'll have to keep paying so he can pay it off quicker.

Yeah ill be going back in 1 year, only taking 9 months mat but i have loads of hols to take so its ages away but i cant stop worrying. When LO arrives im not even going to think about it, i want to enjoy the time i have with him/her. Im sure ill sort something out. Me and OH were talking about him getting another job with a higher hourly rate but his job he has now is so stable and isnt going anywhere so we kind of dont want to risk it.

Xx

Fingers crossed for the course then! Well - at least you can be prepared if the very worse happens. Which usually it doesn't.

Thank goodness for works holiday eh! Im taking 4 weeks before my mat leave starts then when i get back ill have another 6 weeks to take, but i'm not sure when i'll use that yet.
To be fair, i don't think we will have a chance to think about work when the babies arrive. :D I am excited and i will always put baby first - so if i have to eat toast for dinner i will! lol :D

To be fair, me and OH never find any jobs with a higher hourly rate. It really sucks. He went on a course for months and months to get a promotion and that went flat - and now as he is looking for another job, he realizes all jobs offer about £6.50 or £7. And his job is also pretty secure. It is a shame that he wont be able to get overtime at all though.

OH wants to me think of a business and start it from home lol. (Like i'll have time!) xxx

Haha i know, well my work thinks i have 9 weeks hols to take (i carried some over from last year) but i think i have 7 weeks. Im not going to argue if they want to give me 9 weeks lol either way ill be leaving hopefully at some point this month :) Yeah im more than happy to have toast lol

Haha yeah where does he think you'll find the time lol i would love to start my own business but have no idea what to do. Xx

Haha i know, well my work thinks i have 9 weeks hols to take (i carried some over from last year) but i think i have 7 weeks. Im not going to argue if they want to give me 9 weeks lol either way ill be leaving hopefully at some point this month :) Yeah im more than happy to have toast lol

Haha yeah where does he think you'll find the time lol i would love to start my own business but have no idea what to do. Xx

Nope no complaints there lol!
I know. Im not particularly good enough at making anything.. that pretty much rules all business ideas out lol x

Sent from my GT-I9300

Haha same here. I have no creative imagination at all so that puts a stop to all business ideas too lol. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back