Fighting boob

AmyQ

Reaction score
Over the last 2 days Evan has been a little difficult. He is displaying all the hunger signs but when I try to feed him he tries to feed and then fights it off. I try to wind him or calm him and then try again as the signs are there again but he fights it off again.

Really not sure what to do, he is clearly hungry and overtired so refuses boob and sleep and ends up being a 2 hour nightmare and then an epic feed.

He does tend to get a lot of wind, and feeding is usually when all the bottom action happens.

Any ideas?

xx

A was just like this and it is horrible so I can really sympathise. I found that getting her to sleep, even if it was just 10 mins worked in allowing her to then feed and probably fall asleep for a decent amount of time. I suppose ideally you would get him to sleep before he gets hungry again but that isn't always the way with babies! I remember rocking her for ages to get her to close her eyes for 10 mins but it made all the difference. Sorry I can't be much help, but I promise it's not going to be forever! Hugs xxx

Thanks, it's so frustrating as I know what he wants he just refuses it!

we had this too, but we resorted to nipple shields cause my nipples were apparently not big enough! They worked for a bit, but even then every feed would be a battle trying to get her to feed. She would scream cause she was hungry, and scream if I tried to get her on the boob!

we ended up giving up. It was just one of the long list of issues we had with Bfing though. Hope it gets better for you! xx

Deleted - Just read ur post again and what I suggested was silly. Hope he feeds better soon x

Last edited:
Sounds a bit like a nursing strike. My LO had 3 of them (due to my missing the mini pill of all things!). There are certain times when they are more common, - 9months is very typical and can be mistaken for weaning, teething can cause them as well.

Kellymom has some good info on nursing strikes. X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I don't know about your babe but we had constant fighting the boob, arching back and grabbing nipple! From four weeks till about 10 weeks. He had a silent reflux diagnosis and got better when he was on ranitidine. From 10 weeks he started to get better. But he will still occasionally act hungry but refuse to re latch after the first offerings, but always in the evening which I think is quite common. Is it a certain time of day it happens? Has it been going on long. They can be extra fussy when they are going through a growth spurt or leap.

Sometimes I think my lo is hungry or due a feed, I try feeding him and he gets fussy, arches back etc but like others have said he is actually over tired, rocking him to sleep (sometimes takes a while) usually helps and then he is ready to feed when he wakes up.

I took him to the drs yesterday for colic and they prescribed infacol, because he suffers really badly, waiting for it to work though! X

tapatalking x

Unless he's in a leap or growth spurt, getting cross on the boob usually means overtiredness for us too. Have you tried feeding under a muslin? That helps Jack switch off a bit and feed (and fall asleep often if he's tired). He fights it at first but then latches on properly and calms down.

He seems to be much better in the last 24 hours. I think something I had eaten had affected him so going to watch what I eat and see if he continues improving. Thanks for all your advice ladies xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back