Fertility clinic referral Gloucestershire

M1chelle

Reaction score
Anyone know how it works with referrals in Gloucestershire or perhaps had a similar experience? I received a 'do not attend' appointment for a couple of weeks time which I've been told doesn't really mean anything - what can I expect next? My husband works away during the week so it might be difficult for him to attend if they just give me an appointment of their choosing rather than mine.. Do you need both of you there to start with? What happens when you first arrive at the clinic?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Not in your area but we have both had to attend every appointment, if you aren't both there they won't see you. The only exceptions were sperm drop offs and testing for me. We have never had a choice of appointment, you have to take what you are sent or wait an eternity for another appointment. Every single appointment we have been given has been changed by the clinic too, so that is super annoying.

Our very first appointment was loads of paperwork, discussing health of both of us and both families, previous pregnancies, any children, criminal convictions, drug use etc etc. Then I had to be measured and weighed. More appointments were made for us for SA, more detailed ultrasound appointments, hsg etc. We don't get to see the consultant until all that is done first, some areas see the consultant right away and discuss tests etc with them rather than the nursing team.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Snowbee. That sounds like a frustrating experience but pretty much what I expected. It could be a nightmare if they can't be flexible with the dates as my hubby can't just drop work on any old day. Fingers crossed they'll be understanding. How long was it between appointments for you? I keep imagining that it will still be cycle after cycle before anything happens.

My husband also works away during the week (he's in the military) and hasn't attended every appointment. No one has ever said anything. I would suggest he needs to attend the first one (can u call them and rearrange for a more suitable time?) once the initial consultation is done and you should be ok to attend alone depending on what they say. Because the problem was with me I was fine to go alone.

Hi Michelle, I don't know about the referrals, but did want to say that I am from Gloucestershire, if you ever fancy a chat about ttc I'm always willing to lend my ear as support. I've just been through a miscarriage and find this whole ttc game the hardest thing I have ever been through. xx

My husband also works away during the week (he's in the military) and hasn't attended every appointment. No one has ever said anything. I would suggest he needs to attend the first one (can u call them and rearrange for a more suitable time?) once the initial consultation is done and you should be ok to attend alone depending on what they say. Because the problem was with me I was fine to go alone.

Ah that's reassuring; hopefully they'll be the same for us!

Hi Michelle, I don't know about the referrals, but did want to say that I am from Gloucestershire, if you ever fancy a chat about ttc I'm always willing to lend my ear as support. I've just been through a miscarriage and find this whole ttc game the hardest thing I have ever been through. xx

Ah thanks Lillith, I've actually found a local support group which meets every other month so I'm probably going to pop into that at some point. I think it might be useful to talk through it all as it's not the same with the hubby..

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage, it must be so heartbreaking. I always thought TTC would be fun but it's really not is it? xx

Ah thanks Lillith, I've actually found a local support group which meets every other month so I'm probably going to pop into that at some point. I think it might be useful to talk through it all as it's not the same with the hubby..

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage, it must be so heartbreaking. I always thought TTC would be fun but it's really not is it? xx

Thankyou, yes its absolutely heart breaking, I've never cried so much in my life. Can you pm me some details about the support group please, I might think about giving it a go.
Ttc was fun but it's been turned upside down now for me. I feel like I am obsessing about it, mainly because time is running out for me. x

I don't think our appointment timing is a usual experience so I wouldn't go by that! Ours took years, but we were slowed by mcs and other factors. We were referred in November 2013 and started treatment in November 2015. I had two pregnancies in that time though which meant appointments got cancelled and then had to be rearranged when I mcd. That added a huge amount of time to the wait. Lots of my tests got delayed too and on top of everything after both mcs my cycle never returned which meant longer waits for appointments that needed to be on certain cycle days. As I say though I don't think my timescale is usual, most people have a much smoother ride.

Thankyou, yes its absolutely heart breaking, I've never cried so much in my life. Can you pm me some details about the support group please, I might think about giving it a go.
Ttc was fun but it's been turned upside down now for me. I feel like I am obsessing about it, mainly because time is running out for me. x

Sent hun x

Im in gloucestershire.
Before oh didnt attend every appt and noone said anything. Theyre normally flexibme - theyll give you a time slot but you can ring and change it and ive always found them really helpfull.
Good luck
Xx

Will you send me the group details aswell please hun xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back