FERTILITY BLOOD TESTS & HIV

woodysgirl

Reaction score
Hello folks.. I truly hope no one minds me asking this question on this forum, but I am so desperately worried and just need some reassurance if possible.
Six months ago, my ex partner and I went through fertility tests at the hospital - I had the vaginal ultrasound, HSG X-ray and various blood tests which if I remember were to check for presence of ovulation, chlamydia and syphallis. All came back ok except for the chlamydia one which the nurse explained showed that I MIGHT have been infected sometime in the past (I think it was a ratio of 250-1 chance of having been infected) and was prescribed a 2-tablet dose of strong antibiotics.
However, I am currently going through the immigration process of moving to the USA and recently had a blood test for HIV 1/2. I don't get the results till Monday, but I can't stop thinking and worrying about it - I am scared to death that I might have HIV. Does ANYONE at all know whether the above blood tests would have included an HIV one too? I did a HOME HIV test around 18 month ago and it was negative (it had been at least 3 years since i'd had unprotected sex when I did the test), so deep down, part of me thinks i'm clean. But that niggling doubt is keeping me awake at night and i'm worrying myself sick.
Can anyone reassure me?
Do the routine fertility blood tests pick up HIV infection or not?

im not sure hun but i doubt they tested u for HIV without asking ur permission.

the reason i think this because when i was pregnant i was tested for HIV and the nurse before she took the blood asked me carefully did i want the test because she said IF it came back positive i would legally have to declare it when asked if i wanted to buy a house etc or whatever.

good luck try not to stress!
:hug:

Genaerally a HIV test is done as part of any infertility test package as most Fertility Clinics don't treat patients with HIV.
I know I had to have a HIV test along with all the other hormone and infection screens and don't specifically remember signing to consent to it, because with all the HFEA paperwork you sign a lot of documents anyway.

I'm sure everything will be fine!

Hi, i have had IVF and you will know if you are being tested for HIV because it is all explained what you are being tested for, HIV is (i think) compulsory, you will have to sign a consent form for any blood tests you have whatever they are, if you are not sure just give the clinic a ring, they wont mind at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back